Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
TPMS sensors
jeffersj

TPMS sensors

Has anyone managed to programme the TPMS to accept any wheel in any position on the car. Always assumed that after a few miles the sensors would re-programme themselves. Dealer suggests that even when they fit customer winter tyre they have to put same wheel in same position on car.

Surely the system can be programmed to allow wheels to be moved around the car??

Jeff

Member of Defender2 and Disco3/4 forums, currently driving a 90 300tdi and the Evoque Dynamic which is really my wife's car.
12-01-2017 12:02pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: TPMS sensors

There are two different TPMS systems for Evoques, the one from2011 to 2013My which was an optional extra and then the required system that all new cars after 2014 are supposed to have. The optional system was about as much good as a chocolate fireguard as all it did was sound an alarm and flag a warning that a tyre had/was deflating. The later system can read the pressures and display them remotely on the dash graphics. I have had one car with each system plus I had had a set of 19" Pirelli Ice and Snow tyres / wheels that had the sensors in them for the older system. I (or rather my tyre fitters) had no problems with having to fit the correct wheel to the correct wheel hub which was in complete disagreement with what the manual said! They just put them on and we drove the car around the block until the alarms cleared, which didn't take long. I never fitted the wheels to my 2nd Evoque as I didn't need the winter tyres for the one winter I had it, but as the sensors were different all I would have got was a warning that no sensors could be detected. I'm sufficiently sceptically about the accuracy and have had so many false alarms that I have flat tyres with both systems that even though my RRS has a great system I still get my pressure gauge and pump out each weekend and check the tyre pressures the old fashioned way! One thing that I have found with the RRS that I have an optional full size 22" spare and it has no sensor in it so I have to manually check the pressure of that one tyre regardless!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2017 06:58pm by XFullFatTim.)
12-01-2017 06:52pm
jeffersj

Thanks XFFT!
I thought I could just fit the winter wheels (19") with the sensors and as you say drove a few miles for them to re-configure but the car is a 2014 with the mandatory new system. I do not rely on the sensors for checking pressures like you but it is just a pain having to turn the TPMS fault message off every time you use the car.

"Lesson have been learned" to quote the most overused phrase.

Jeff

Member of Defender2 and Disco3/4 forums, currently driving a 90 300tdi and the Evoque Dynamic which is really my wife's car.
(This post was last modified: 13-01-2017 12:06pm by jeffersj.)
13-01-2017 12:05pm
XFullFatTim

If your winter wheels have the sensors in them already but you don't know which sort then the way to tell the new from the old system is the latest post 2014 sensors have matte grey painted valve stems and grey plastic valve caps IIRC, the old style TPMS had chromed valve caps

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 13-01-2017 02:32pm by XFullFatTim.)
13-01-2017 02:31pm
jeffersj

XFFT

Yes they have the grey stems and caps so guess I will have to try different positions of wheels to try and find correct onesCrying

Jeff

13-01-2017 05:29pm
XFullFatTim

For the Mk1 system the LR instruction was to fit one new wheel at a time, drive for 15 minutes until the fault message disappeared then fit 2nd wheel and repeat and so on. My local Budget Tyres (the discount end of Kwik Fit believe it or not!) used to do all the wheel and tyre work for the 15 cars we have in the family and their foreman/ supervisor advised that in his experience of Land Rover TPMS, what was written in the manual was a load of horse-sh*t and they fitted all the new wheels with TPMS at one go and drove the car around for 15 minutes until the fault warnings all disappeared! Seemed to work for my OK for my 1st Evoque, but unlike the current system you had no way to tell which tyre was in alarm anyway as the warning came up as "Tyre deflating" not which tyre it was like with the newer system.

13-01-2017 06:15pm
Trapdoor

I've just gone through this hell with my MY17 Autobiography.

My Winter wheels have sensors in that worked a treat on my MY13 Prestige. You could just mountbthe wheels, leave the car for 15 minutes and then go drive and the warnings would have gone.

Roll forward to this year ... in November I put on my Pirelli Winters (the car came with Craptinental summer tyres FFS) and all hell breaks loose.

Initially, it appears the TPMS is working. I get pressures. But hang on a minute, the pressures are showing front to back - validated as I let the OSR tyre down and get a warning for the OSF tyre. Weird. But can live with that.

So I drive to a few clients over 3 days - on day 3, I suddenly get a TPMS System Fault and the amber tyre warning. No pressures showing on the cluster.

Make some enquiries of the dealer - they haven't got a clue. Contact a 3rd party seller of TPMS sensors, readers and the like and it appears that the TPMS sensors are programmed into the car at the factory, each has a unique ID number and they have to go in the same place on the car. The car can only be programmed with max of 5 ID's (4+spare) so the ONLY way round this is to have each OEM wheel sensor read and these ID's programmed into virgin sensors to 'clone' the ID's - these will then have to be fitted into the correct position wheel on the winter set.

FFS JLR, don't you realise that people put on winter wheel sets? YOU f'ing sell wint wheel sets, your experience centres recommend fitting winter wheel sets, so why won't your cars accept more than one set of wheels?

Not sure what to do as I've been driving now for a few months with the error ... AFAIK it is now an MOT fail not to have working system on a car that has a system....

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
05-02-2017 10:39pm
Steve D

If whatever is happening is making the car illegal to drive, why not call out LRA and let them sort it out?

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
06-02-2017 08:55am
Trapdoor

After my last call to LRA to 'assist' in the fact that my IEB, Forward Collision Alert, ACC et al had gone on the fritz, and them refusing to attend because they "...are not an extension of the dealer network" and would only attend "...if the car was undriveable through accident or breakdown, not for fixing 'driver aids'" I'm not terribly convinced they would bother.

Considering the car was at the dealership last week having the IEB etc repaired, they seemed to ignore the fact that the TPMS was showing a failure, only commenting that it would all work again when the supplied wheels were refitted.

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
06-02-2017 01:07pm
XFullFatTim

If you have InControl then you could just press the button in the headliner and wait for the AA to appear..........
WhistleWhistleWhistle

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2017 01:09pm by XFullFatTim.)
09-02-2017 01:08pm