Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
TPMS sensors - necessity?
Evoqess

I have a chance to purchase some near new aftermarket 18 " alloys / winter tires from an ex FL2 owner. Should I incorporate some TPMS sensors when I have the tires mounted? If I don't will the only unsavory side-effect be a warning light on my dash in the winter? (I'll be too fixated on the treacherous driving conditions to notice!!!) Surprised

The wheels:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/657064-fs...-et40.html

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
(This post was last modified: 19-11-2011 09:30am by Evoqess.)
19-11-2011 09:27am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Claud

I have TPMS on my FFRR it has been annoying when it initially had a failure and needed a fix under warranty. However I got in the car the other day, the light came on, upon investigation I had a screw in a tyre. It potentially saved my life, I could have had a real issue at speed on the motorway.

Up shot, I immediately phoned my dealer and specified TPMS on the Evoque order!

[Image: 118733.png]
2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
Sold - 2011 Evoque SD4 Prestige, Auto, Magnaride, Orkney Grey, Lux Pack, TPMS, Heated Steering Wheel
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
19-11-2011 09:33am
mark_n

RE: TPMS sensors - necessity?

There are two common ways to implement TPMS - pressure sensors in the wheels which transmit to aerials typically in the wheel arches; there's a lithium battery which has a life of 5 - 6 years after which the sensors have to be replaced. "Intelligence" in the sensor reduces how often the information is transmitted when it is not needed - when parked overnight for example or when the pressure is the same as the last time it was transmitted - all to do with extending the battery life.

The other way is to use the ABS sensors which sense wheel rotation speed and identify a permanent change in how fast one wheel is rotating. An under inflated wheel has a lower rolling radius and rotates faster. Of course, wheels rotate at different speeds during normal driving anyway and software is used to filter out the noise to pick up the underlying speeds.

The first method is much more accurate; the second is much cheaper. Cars which implement the first usually provide a display of the pressure at each corner which is very useful in providing the earliest indication of trouble and you may then be able to reinflate the tyre until it can be changed or possibly repaired. Cars which use the second method can only indicate a problem, not what the pressure is but then they are cheaper so that's the compromise.

Land Rover, in their infinite wisdom, implement the expensive method but don't display the pressures, only a warning by which time the tyre may be beyond salvage. In other words, you pay top price and get only low rent function.

There are after-market systems which have a receiver in the car, the issue being where to put it and hard wire it in.

It's very much one of those "Could have done better" features. Incidentally, TPMS has to be in all new cars from November 2012 in the UK and may already be required in Canada. How LR will handle this remains to be seen - bundle the existing option as standard (and a price increase) or else provide the more basic option as standard which is what Audi have - and it costs 20% of the RRE version.

In answer to Diana's question, if you have TPMS already in your car, it makes sense to have sensors put in the FL2 wheels and you may have a few warnings while the car learns about the new wheels.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
19-11-2011 07:37pm
martinPL

(19-11-2011 07:37pm)mark_n Wrote:  Land Rover, in their infinite wisdom, implement the expensive method but don't display the pressures, only a warning by which time the tyre may be beyond salvage. In other words, you pay top price and get only low rent function.

Is RRE pointing to a wheel/tire with lower pressure or does it just display LOW PRESSURE warning?
19-11-2011 09:20pm
IKM

(19-11-2011 09:33am)Claud Wrote:  I have TPMS on my FFRR it has been annoying when it initially had a failure and needed a fix under warranty. However I got in the car the other day, the light came on, upon investigation I had a screw in a tyre. It potentially saved my life, I could have had a real issue at speed on the motorway.

Up shot, I immediately phoned my dealer and specified TPMS on the Evoque order!

Hi, did adding TPMS further delay delivery? Thanks

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
19-11-2011 09:38pm
Claud

(19-11-2011 09:38pm)IKM Wrote:  Hi, did adding TPMS further delay delivery? Thanks

No delay for me, I ordered the TPMS after I had the delivery delayed by a month from 16 Dec to 19 January, the delivery status did not change.

Of the components causing Land Rover supply issues, TPMS is not one of them. Xenon headlights might be an option to cause delays .........

[Image: 118733.png]
2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
Sold - 2011 Evoque SD4 Prestige, Auto, Magnaride, Orkney Grey, Lux Pack, TPMS, Heated Steering Wheel
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
19-11-2011 10:39pm
DynamicRRV

TBH its the worst thing I ever had on both my FFRRs....always malfunctioning so purposely did not specify it on my Dynamic Lux.
20-11-2011 01:03am
PhilSkill

Me neither, anything battery powered using radio transmissions is going to be an issue at some point in its life, add to that careless tyre fitters the fact you need to zero it from time to time, just not for me.

Thanks mark for the detailed explanation, I prefer the Idea of the Audi system even though it cant actually tell you pressure! if it can pick up a problem thats all you need.
Oh and Evoquess, you probably will need to fit them or live with the warning light while you have those wheels on, there must be a learn button with the radio system maybe this will disable if no sensors found... but totally guessing here! you could try without and later have sensors fitted for a bit of extra labour cost.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 20-11-2011 01:49am by PhilSkill.)
20-11-2011 01:44am
Evoqess

Thanks - that was an interesting explanation on the technologies Mark; I really appreciate you taking the time Smile

The only reason I'm in two minds about having the sensors installed is that a local tire shop said they were unable to help and referred me to Landrover today (who are always closed on weekends). I also wonder if I'll get some attitude from Landrover for buying non OEM rims ? I was so careful to make sure all the specs were ok - 5 x 108 bolt pattern blah blah with one inner voice muttering something about "non oem equipment" and "void warranty" and the other saying "those wheels are hot"!

Claud, the safety aspect is an important factor - I hear you. And Phil, you are right - I can delay adding them.

But.......hmmm, if its just a warning light on the dashboard and not a constant chime I could tolerate it. I'm very cautious and diligent with my tire pressures being a longtime Vespa rider.

But, but .... feminine indecision. Someone shake me and tell me to snap out of it.
Wink

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
20-11-2011 03:02am
mark_n

I was prompted by this thread to go on to the configurator to look at the standard configurations and was really struck how few options there are for US and Canadian cars. Leaving aside the single engine choice, there is only a handful of options with all the rest, presumably, being standard. I am not sure but I believe TPMS has been a mandatory requirement in North America for a while, prompted by the problems at Firestone.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 20-11-2011 09:53am by mark_n.)
20-11-2011 09:52am