Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
TPMS Issues after fitting Winter Wheels/Tyres
thunderstarter

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I'm just interested to see if anyone else has experienced the same issues as me. We have a 3 month old RR Evoque SD4 fitted with 20 inch wheels. Ive run winter wheels and tyres now for the past 6 years and had a spare set of 18 inch wheels and tyres on our previous Audi Q5. So I did the same with our Evoque and bought a set of nearly new 18 inch wheels off ebay (genuine Land Rover wheels) and bought brand new Conti Winter Tyres (as per the recommended list from landrover). What I didnt take into consideration was the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System thats actually built into the valves. Obviously the new wheels are not fitted with the sensors on the valves and therefore the dash is now coming up with a system fault and constant warning message which cannot be removed, cancelled or switched off.

After discussions with the dealer, they are saying either put up with it, or pay £150 (per valve!) plus fitting for the genuine landrover valves. Which is ridiculous. A quick search online has found these at near £20 per valve

Ebay Item Link >

I just wondered if anyone had experience of fitting these and whats needed for configuration?

Cheers
Dan
09-12-2014 01:25pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stadt Panzer

After chatting with a tyre fitter the last week (waiting for them to fit winter tyres to the wife's car), we got to talking about the valves and he said that he has just invested 2 grand in a system that codes the valves to the car, no matter what car. The valves cost around 40 pounds each.

So why would I use LR ones?

It's something I'll have to address myself in jan when the new car arrives.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
09-12-2014 01:48pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: TPMS Issues after fitting Winter Wheels/Tyres

Price sounds about right for the previous generation TPMS system sensors, they didn't indicate the tyre pressures though like the new ones and looking at your link the design of the in tyre bit of the sensor is totally different. With the old system there was no configuration necessary. I bought my sensors from a dealership for my winter tyres and KwikFit fitted them when they put the tyres onto my 19" Winter rims then I drove out of KwikFit. I haven't tried the winter tyres on my new Evoque with the new style TPMS as I am fortunately spending the entire winter in sunnier climes and won't need winter tyres ( or the car).

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
09-12-2014 01:57pm
thunderstarter

Thanks for the replies, it sounds like they should in theory work without coding, so I've ordered those latest generation ones, I'll get my tyre guy to fit them and see how they go.
09-12-2014 02:19pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

If you go into the Land Rover Topix website you can look at the owner's manual for each generation of Evoque - and they are in the free section. You will be able to see there what the procedure is for replacing/ fitting and setting them up in the event of one needing to be replaced, I would image the procedure is the same for adding a set on new wheels as it is for replacing one sensor in an existing wheel.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
09-12-2014 03:24pm
Kugaman1

Ive ordered the Land rover / Ford 433mhz TPMS sensors from ebay as per the link above.

NOTE - they do not work with the latest evoque which displays the acrual tyre pressure.
My car has shown TPMS errors since the day I put my winter tyres on with these sensors.......

Waste of money GRRR....
18-12-2014 08:25pm