Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
TPMS
jeffersj

TPMS

Has anyone retro fitted this?

I have some 20" alloys with the TPMS valves but during winter use 19" alloys without the TPMs valves. Is it possible just to buy some TPMS valves to avoid having to cancel the fault message (TOMS not working ) at every start up?

Jeff

Member of Defender2 and Disco3/4 forums, currently driving a 90 300tdi and the Evoque Dynamic which is really my wife's car.
30-09-2015 06:12pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: TPMS

Yes you can buy them as accessories from an LR dealer but they are not just a valve they are a huge flat pressure pad inside the wheel! There are two different systems too - 1) for cars pre MY2014 (when TPMS became mandatory on all new cars) and 2) the post-2014MY system which is much smarter and actually gives you the tyres pressure at each wheel. The wheel fittings are different and for the version for pre-2014MY IIRC I paid £250 for four sensors in 2011. You might need to take your VIN number with you to make sure that you get the right sensors. I bought my set for the exact same reason as you want them, winter wheels and the car had the optional TPMS. BTW there is no need on the original version to code the wheels to the receivers and the instructions in the owner's manual that I had were wrong too! Basically fit the sensors to the wheels, add the tyres, inflate, fit to car and drive off when all wheels refitted and the car's system will pick up the new sensors

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 30-09-2015 10:16pm by XFullFatTim.)
30-09-2015 10:14pm
jeffersj

Thanks Full fat!

Good advice and tips. The car was first reg. June 2014 but probably pre MY 2014 so will use VIN to get exact TPMS.Thumbs Up

Jeff

Member of Defender2 and Disco3/4 forums, currently driving a 90 300tdi and the Evoque Dynamic which is really my wife's car.
01-10-2015 11:09am
Good shot

(01-10-2015 11:09am)jeffersj Wrote:  Thanks Full fat!

Good advice and tips. The car was first reg. June 2014 but probably pre MY 2014 so will use VIN to get exact TPMS.Thumbs Up

Anyone tried the TPMS that works via your iPhone? You can get sets from Maplins. Supposed to be a bit fiddle to initially calibrate and pair with your phone but work well?

Last 2013 SD4 Auto, Prestige, Pano, Firenze Red. Loving the USB shuffle.
02-10-2015 12:43am
XFullFatTim

(01-10-2015 11:09am)jeffersj Wrote:  Thanks Full fat!

Jeffersj, I would expect yours to be a 2014MY, my last car was built on 19th March 2014, delivered 28th March and was definitely a 2014MY, at the time very few dealers had any stock of Evoques. To check which TPMS your car has select the service menu in the dash and do a Tyre pressure check............ if the car was pre2014MY you cannot do that, all you got was a warning that the tyre was deflating fast in pre2014MY. Post 2014 then you can select the task in the menus and will be able to read the pressure at each wheel and compare it to what it should be in the dash. Simples

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
02-10-2015 09:37am
jeffersj

Thanks again, will check.

I was also wondering whether it is possible to de-activate the TPMS facility temporarily with one of the electronic gizmos to avoid the expenditure on additional parts?

Jeff

02-10-2015 10:04am
XFullFatTim

As it is now a European requirement to have TPMS on all new cars I doubt that you will be able to inhibit the system, although you could try pulling the fuse............... the problem then would be if you had an accident due to incorrectly inflated tyres would your insurance be voided?

02-10-2015 12:51pm
jeffersj

(02-10-2015 12:51pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  As it is now a European requirement to have TPMS on all new cars I doubt that you will be able to inhibit the system, although you could try pulling the fuse............... the problem then would be if you had an accident due to incorrectly inflated tyres would your insurance be voided?

Good point1

Jeff

02-10-2015 01:36pm
VirtualCamper

I'm talking to RR customer services now and they haven't got a clue. they are having to call my local garage and talk to a technician there.

There must be a simple way to do this as in most European countries they take a set of wheels off and put a winter set of wheels on, they don't change the tyres each time!

I am waiting for a full set of instructions to be emailed to me and if I get anything useful I'll put it on here.
We shouldn't have to go to a dealer every change!

just found this thought it might be useful,
technicians manual for initialisation

http://workshop-manuals.com/landrover/l3...alisation/

2017 Evoque SE Tech - Kaikoura Stone - > PREVIOUSLY - 5dr Pure Mauritius blue with panoramic roof, power tailgate.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2017 02:44pm by VirtualCamper.)
10-11-2017 02:33pm
XFullFatTim

That workshop manual is for the L322 FFRR NOT for Evoque which is coded L358 IIRC. If you have a post 2014MY car then provided your 2nd set of wheels has the sensors fitted there is no convoluted installing set up for Evoque or any other newer Land Rovers post 2014 with the mandatory TPMS, which is different to the old optional system - the later versions have more functions such as displaying the pressure of each tyre on the dash which wasn’t possible with older system that basically only told you that you had a flat tyre somewhere on the car! I regularly swapped my wheels on previous cars between winter/ summer and off-road MTR’s all fitted to wheels with TPMS sensors added to them and I never once had to carry out any special setting up even with the old system and was told that the owner’s manual for both RRS and Evoque was incorrect - the instructions however were for the different system fittted to the L322 FFRR.

11-11-2017 12:00am