Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Suspension - is Magneride standard or only available with Adaptive Dynamics?
WB
WB

Suspension - is Magneride standard or only available with Adaptive Dynamics?

Apologies if this has been asked before - I have searched and not found an answer....

Does anyone know what the standard suspension is for a Pure or Prestige (without Adaptive Dynamics)?

Is Magneride standard across the range with the Adaptive Dynamics giving additional settings or does Magneride only come as part of AD?

On the RR website all 3 variants have the same blurb on the suspension with no mention of magneride...

"Advanced technologies have been deployed to enhance suspension performance. The seamless combination of suspension and steering technology helps to deliver superior on-road ride and dynamic handling.

In addition, lightweight aluminium chassis components are used extensively on Range Rover Evoque, improving suspension performance by increasing stiffness and reducing unsprung weight, as well as contributing towards reduced weight and increased efficiency."

"Adaptive Dynamics – including Dynamic Mode (only available on Dynamic models and the Prestige SD4 model)
When Adaptive Dynamics is specified, the control system detects road surface inputs and driving style and optimises the advanced MagneRide™ damper settings to give an optimum balance of confident, nimble handling and supple, controlled ride comfort.

Dynamic Mode can be selected on the Terrain Response® system, to tune the suspension to deliver even tighter body control with flatter handling and sharper responses."

Thanks!
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2011 08:55am by WB.)
11-07-2011 10:55am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WB
WB

RE: Suspension - is Magneride standard or only available with Adaptive Dynamics?

wow - 102 views and not a single reply. Perhaps I'm not the only one in the dark on this point. I've asked my dealer too who didn't know for sure and is putting the question to LR.
13-07-2011 10:19am
LP

RE: Suspension - is Magneride standard or only available with Adaptive Dynamics?

Magneride/Adaptive Dynamics are essentially different names for the same thing.

In the UK the Pure does not have Magneride. The Dynamic has adaptive dynamics as standard and the Prestige has it as a £1,150 cost option.
(This post was last modified: 13-07-2011 11:05am by LP.)
13-07-2011 11:05am
Blackseries

(11-07-2011 10:55am)wbessada Wrote:  Does anyone know what the standard suspension is for a Pure or Prestige (without Adaptive Dynamics)?

Is Magneride standard across the range with the Adaptive Dynamics giving additional settings or does Magneride only come as part of AD?

Sorry thought this had been answered.

Adaptive Dynamics is LR brand name for Magneride or vice visa. So they are one in the same thing. The Pure and Prestige get normal dampers (so no Adaptive Dynamics or Magneride) and Dynamics get Adaptive Dynamics (Magneride) as standard. Still waiting for a definitive road test to compare the standard suspension with Magneride. TG infers AD is the dogs... but then so might the standard suspension. Autoexpress were testing a car that apparently didn't have it and the ride quality was good. So for me it’s the one thing I want to check out on Unleashed day.

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
13-07-2011 11:07am
Charlie
No Longer Registered

sorry if this has been flogged to death (I think it almost has)

and probably a bleeding stupid question too, if you spec a Prestige with ADs and don't have it turned on(!) is it the same as if you didn't have it at all? ie a standard Prestige?

and probably even harder to answer because we've not driven it but when are you likely to turn it off/on?

sorry last bit referred to the 'dynamic' mode as they call it
(This post was last modified: 28-07-2011 12:43pm by Charlie.)
28-07-2011 12:42pm
SW6RR

I don't think you turn it "off". Might be mistaken though.

I think "dynamic mode" is being confused with magneride. It's true, I think, that you get "dynamic mode" when you spec AD, but this isn't the only mode in which AD is active... AD, or magneride (same thing, no), is always active and the "dynamic" setting is just an additional, sporty setting you get when you have AD.

This is always the way I have interpreted it and it just seemed obvious to me - I'm not privy to any superior knowledge...

More enlightened souls will now no doubt put me straight.
28-07-2011 12:50pm
brommy

From what I understand (though I'm very open to be corrected), Magneride is the suspension system that comes with the 'Adaptive Dynamics'.

When 'dynamic mode' is selected the Magneride suspension tightens to provide less body roll and better road holding. The downside will be a harsh ride, especially with 20" wheels, but who needs dynamic mode, unless you're on a race track day? The benefits of selecting 'dynamic mode' may be quite limited.

I imagine selecting 'normal mode', (allowing the Magneride to do its best job of comfort and handling), will provide good handling and a good ride (with or without 20" wheels).
(This post was last modified: 28-07-2011 01:50pm by brommy.)
28-07-2011 01:31pm
Charlie
No Longer Registered

Thank you both
28-07-2011 01:47pm
brommy

(28-07-2011 01:47pm)Charlie Wrote:  Thank you both

You're welcome. Let's hope we are somewhere near correct!Wink
28-07-2011 01:51pm
doug

To help you understand what "Magneride" is, i will try & explain it in a basic way.

Magnerride or Magnet Dampers (same thing) work by having iron fileings placed inside the supension oil on each wheel. Sensors & a electronic control unit measure what the car is going.
This than applies a voltage to a electromagnetic coil on each wheel damper. This draws the iron in one direction, which hardnes up the oil, giving a firm road.
With no voltage the suspension is the same as any normal car. But as the voltage is constantly changeing to meet the requirements of the car, the ride is kept smooth. Unless in Dynamic Mode, when all four dampers are stiffened up to give a very firm ride.

Hope this makes sense Very Happy
28-07-2011 05:40pm