Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Surround Cameras
welder1027

Surround Cameras

Hi All,

Just bought myself 2012 Si4, fitted with Reversing Camera and Front Parking sensors. I like the idea of the surround cameras and was wondering if anyone can tell me, are the Evoques pre-wired to take the cameras? or would i have to go the whole hog and retro-fit?
02-09-2018 11:19am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RogB

RE: Surround Cameras

There is a guy on the Freel2 forum (sister site to this one) who live down under.
He is complete techno genius and has added a massive amount of features to his 2015 Freelander just to play and experiment.
This includes editing CCF to enable things and fitting new hardware such as rear seat entertainment, TV and surround cameras.
The cameras involved, new wing mirrors, new cameras, CCF editing, new modules and all sorts of wizardry (and there are different types of camera, loom, modules etc out there that will fit but not work correctly)
As the late Freelanders and the Evoques are basically the same underneath, I would assume you would have the same hurdles. It can be done, but its a big and expensive job.

2012 Evoque Pure 5 door - Santorini Black, 20'' style 6 wheels, privacy, fogs, (accident damaged wreck direct from LR approved :rollSmile
2011 Evoque Prestige 3 door - Indus Silver, gloss black 19'' style 5 wheels, privacy, partial black pack.

and a few Freelander 2 over the yearsLaughing
03-09-2018 08:08am
welder1027

(03-09-2018 08:08am)RogB Wrote:  There is a guy on the Freel2 forum (sister site to this one) who live down under.
He is complete techno genius and has added a massive amount of features to his 2015 Freelander just to play and experiment.
This includes editing CCF to enable things and fitting new hardware such as rear seat entertainment, TV and surround cameras.
The cameras involved, new wing mirrors, new cameras, CCF editing, new modules and all sorts of wizardry (and there are different types of camera, loom, modules etc out there that will fit but not work correctly)
As the late Freelanders and the Evoques are basically the same underneath, I would assume you would have the same hurdles. It can be done, but its a big and expensive job.

Thanks for that, think i'll give that one a body swerve though. I like the thought that surround cameras will greatly reduce scuffed alloys when my missus drives, but i'm not that into technical stuff like that so probably best left alone and keep my fingers crossed for the alloys Smile

I just thought that some cars (Audi) come pre wired for a lot of extra goodies and maybe the RRE would be the same.
03-09-2018 08:26am
RogB

with LR/RR it can be very hit and miss whats pre wired and whats not. You may find the harnesses there, but you will still need new hardware and software changes.

2012 Evoque Pure 5 door - Santorini Black, 20'' style 6 wheels, privacy, fogs, (accident damaged wreck direct from LR approved :rollSmile
2011 Evoque Prestige 3 door - Indus Silver, gloss black 19'' style 5 wheels, privacy, partial black pack.

03-09-2018 08:46am
welder1027

(03-09-2018 08:46am)RogB Wrote:  with LR/RR it can be very hit and miss whats pre wired and whats not. You may find the harnesses there, but you will still need new hardware and software changes.

I'll check it out when i get home in a couple of weeks, currently overseas working. If the wires are there i might consider it, if not then i'll give it a miss. Thanks for the advice anyway.
03-09-2018 08:53am
Stilolos

To me, the surround cameras are not that great. The newer systems put a picture of the vehicle in the middle then stitch the images from the surround cameras so you get a full 360 view. In the evoque, each camera just gives you that view. The front cameras aren’t much good because although you can see from them, you can’t tell exactly where your vehicle is. Also, they’re not particularly clear nor big enough to be handy. The junction view setting sounds fantastic, and it would be except that the image is so small and zoomed to the far corner so you lose so much clarity. Extremely difficult to spot a car on the distorted image.
03-09-2018 11:41pm
welder1027

(03-09-2018 11:41pm)Stilolos Wrote:  To me, the surround cameras are not that great. The newer systems put a picture of the vehicle in the middle then stitch the images from the surround cameras so you get a full 360 view. In the evoque, each camera just gives you that view. The front cameras aren’t much good because although you can see from them, you can’t tell exactly where your vehicle is. Also, they’re not particularly clear nor big enough to be handy. The junction view setting sounds fantastic, and it would be except that the image is so small and zoomed to the far corner so you lose so much clarity. Extremely difficult to spot a car on the distorted image.

Thanks for that, but my concern is my wife munching the alloys when parking and not what is in front or at junctions. My last 3 cars have all had the alloys munched cos the silly cow can't judge where there kerb is Sad
04-09-2018 09:15am
RogB

Just notice you have the same 3 door in Indus silver as I have, but yours is the Dynamic with the black roof.
Ive got Prestige spec with black wheels, vents and grill, planning on the doing the boot strip and bonnet vents in black too when I get time and having seen yours the roof is going to be black too when funds allow. Smile

04-09-2018 02:03pm
Stilolos

Admittedly, the under door mirrors are quite handy, however you have the hassle of selecting them but losing them when the car goes into reverse. I had a disco sport loaner car with the newer surround camera system and it was fantastic. I definately want one in my next car. As for alloys, that’s what happens when you car share. I sometimes cringe when my wife drives and I know where the kerb is...

(04-09-2018 09:15am)welder1027 Wrote:  Thanks for that, but my concern is my wife munching the alloys when parking and not what is in front or at junctions. My last 3 cars have all had the alloys munched cos the silly cow can't judge where there kerb is Sad
04-09-2018 10:19pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Bear in mind that surround cams are meant for use off-road so they do have limitations on the tar. Buy an offroad capable car, use it for what it was meant for ............. And despite what the nay sayers say Evoque will get you places you never expected ever to go in a car and quite a long way from the supermarket car park or the kerb in front of the school. I can assure you from experience that surround cams are great for what they are designed to do, even the older lower resolution versions are more than up to their intended purpose.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
05-09-2018 12:36pm