Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Summer tyres tested in Snow tonight
PhilSkill

RE: Summer tyres tested in Snow tonight

The rear end looks less stable in the corner on the Summer over the Winter, the socks looked better on low speed grip.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
13-12-2012 12:41pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jonathon555

Nice video , i am suprised the summer tyres did not understeer more during cornering.

Normally i would have expected the summer tyres to plow straight on.

But they appeared to have loads of grip , very strange ! I am sure my michelins would have gone straight on at the corner.

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
13-12-2012 01:23pm
timhum

I guess it depends upon which summer tyres it has fitted, might be the Pirelli Verde which is listed as an all season tyre and so could be better than an outright performance tyre as often fitted to large diameter rims favoured (mistakenly in my opinion) by some owners.
Tim
13-12-2012 03:39pm
RobR

I have had a disaster with the Michelin Latitude Sport tyres in the snow. I have an SD4 Pure Tech on a 62 plate with 20 inch alloys. Tyres are 245/45 R20. Lost all grip on hill with compacted snow. The vehicle reduced torque to all 4 wheels twice. There was absolutely no power despite my foot to the floor. I will be changing the tyres to the pirelli scorpion verde all season. The vehicle would not even slow with the HDC in operation, it just slid across the surface of the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgldps2KkL8
06-12-2017 09:18pm
syl

Scary stuff - well done keeping it on the road and getting it out.

Our Evoque unfortunately came with Continental Crosscontact UHP summer tyres. I wish it had Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons - which is what will be going on it as soon as these are anywhere near worn (probably this time next year) or if it snows down here this year.

MY17 RR Evoque TD4 Autobiography
MY17 RRS SDV6 Autobiography
08-12-2017 01:52pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Rob, did you set the TR to Grass, Gravel and Snow and put the HDC on? I have never had a problem on Continental Summer tyres on an Evoque in snow with the GGS on, starting off is a slow business but as grip increases the ECU allows more and more power. I’ll be driving from Southampton to Stirling tomorrow in my Sport on 22” Summer tyres, in previous Sports I’ve never had an issue either getting going or stopping in deepish snow but my current one has an additional ediff over previous Sports and it will be interesting to see if that makes any difference as well.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2017 05:59pm by XFullFatTim.)
08-12-2017 05:59pm
syl

I thought that all RRS came with M&S marked tyres, even on 22" rims (except the SVR before MY1Cool.

MY17 RR Evoque TD4 Autobiography
MY17 RRS SDV6 Autobiography
08-12-2017 08:31pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Mine doesn’t have M&S OEM’s on it’s 22” rims but the new set of SVR 21” rims I have have M&S tyres on them
My run north today via M27/M40/M42 and M6 was totally uneventful and the only snow I encountered was between Birmingham and Manchester where there was driving snow but it wasn’t settling on the roads which were very wet. There was more danger from the numpties who had not cleared the snow off their car roof and it was blowing off in big lumps as they accelerated.............. Tomorrow I leave Lancashire and head further north and the forecast is for heavy snow in NW England - at the moment all the snow is melting rapidly and causing large areas of standing water that may well freeze overnight.....

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2017 04:00pm by XFullFatTim.)
09-12-2017 03:54pm