Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Summer tyres tested in Snow tonight
Jonathon555

RE: Summer tyres tested in Snow tonight

(10-12-2012 11:30pm)simonc Wrote:  Think they've woken up a bit as to to how ridiculous they were being now. Many don't mind at all now, while some just want to be told when you've switched so they can put it down as a modification (but won't charge anything extra). Might still be a few who do charge for the modification but think they are the exception rather than the rule. Check with your insurer to see what their policy on them is.

Direct line just wanted to be told but didn't charge anything extra - though they did go to the trouble of issuing new documentation to reflect the "modification". Overall I feel it's a worthwhile investment knowing that the braking distance will be substantially better in low temperatures than if I'd left on the Michelin latitude sports (plus ~4 months of not wearing down the expensive 20" tyres!)

Direct Line seem to have it sorted hopefully others will follow soon

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
11-12-2012 09:51am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
simonc

Found this page on the association of British insurers' website:

http://www.abi.org.uk/Information/Consum...tment.aspx

Looks like the vast majority have no problem with it - some just need to be told you've fit them.

Dynamic Si4 5dr Orkney Grey, Black Pano, Vortex + Ebony, Keyless Entry, Spare Wheel
Collected 12th March 2012
11-12-2012 10:30am
PhilSkill

Nice find, no substitute for checking with your insurer but good to see most don't even need informing.
Frankly as long as you don't change the size why should they ned to be informed?

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
11-12-2012 02:58pm
Jonathon555

I rang my insurance company today to ask , they said no problem but there would be a £29.95 admin fee for the addition to the paperwork and £29.95 admin fee when i take them off .

But they did advise that the speed & load rating must be identical to the tyres that are oem . This may be a slight road block as there are not that many high speed rated winter tyres.

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
11-12-2012 07:45pm
simonc

That's a bit crap - which insurance company is that?

Dynamic Si4 5dr Orkney Grey, Black Pano, Vortex + Ebony, Keyless Entry, Spare Wheel
Collected 12th March 2012
11-12-2012 07:53pm
PhilSkill

Direct Line from post above, they are CRAP. I won't touch them with a barge pole... My experience and opinion only... Very Happy

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
11-12-2012 09:44pm
Jai

Summer tyres tested in Snow tonight

You Brits have certainly got it up the ass in regards to insurance! I can safely say I have none of these technicalities to deal with, full comprehensive insurance for a <30yr old AUD$92k coverage for $730 a year.
12-12-2012 12:18am
speary

(11-12-2012 07:45pm)Jonathon555 Wrote:  I rang my insurance company today to ask , they said no problem but there would be a £29.95 admin fee for the addition to the paperwork and £29.95 admin fee when i take them off .

But they did advise that the speed & load rating must be identical to the tyres that are oem . This may be a slight road block as there are not that many high speed rated winter tyres.

Surely if the speed rating of the tyre is higher than the top speed of the car then any insurance company would have a hard time rejecting a claim that they were out of spec. Common sense should prevail

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
12-12-2012 09:22am
Jonathon555

(12-12-2012 09:22am)speary Wrote:  Surely if the speed rating of the tyre is higher than the top speed of the car then any insurance company would have a hard time rejecting a claim that they were out of spec. Common sense should prevail

You would expect so, but many insurance companies appear clueless on how to administer there own policy in the event of a claim.

12-12-2012 10:11am
Poke

At 0:43 i can't see a huge difference between summer and winter tyres, but can see one with the socks.

On Order Since 19 march 2012
Delivered 05 october 2012
Pure 5 Door, Orkney grey with Ebony Interior, Si4, Automatic, Wheel Style 4, Tech Pack, Visibility Pack, Pano Roof, Rear Cam, Powered Tailgate and Power Folding Mirrors.
13-12-2012 12:16pm