J. Dub

RE: Sub investigation begins

Thank you for your efforts on this.

In memory of Robert E. Flynn
31-10-2016 02:44am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
northy

(11-10-2015 10:29am)Clip Wrote:  Just replaced the Alpine unit with Pioneer GM-D8601. Now have a remote level control which is great. Placed it below the drivers seat for easy access. I'm even more impressed with the performance of the OEM sub now, it actually punches out some serious sub volumes. The new amp is much better suited to this application and it's obvious in the sound. So all good, I have a thumping sub when the track calls for it, combined with precise, detailed bass and wonderful staging and presence from the rest of the system courtesy of Meridian's very clever acoustic design. I'm not aware of any other car audio system that is as detailed as this. This is almost "audiophile" levels, and while maybe not appreciated by most, is really appreciated by those that love listening to their music as it should be. As I spend far too much time in my car I always try to duplicate, or at least get as close as I can, to the listening experience in my car with that at home. This is getting closer to it Very Happy

Not sure if this thread is too old to resurrect...but with photobucket now not displaying any of the photos...I was keen to get hold of any info on wiring / diagrams. I'm keen to add an aftermarket amp to the sub in my 2014 Evoque as per Clip's work here... Any help / info appreciated.

Northy
04-02-2018 10:12am
top6pk

Any update on this? Has anyone added an after market amp using the existing wires under the seat?
20-06-2018 07:47pm
Steven49

@Clip you're not happy with your alpine? Something was wrong?

Sorry for being off topic.

I'm looking for a new stereo and I'm leaning towards alpine.

The thing is I've read good and bad. Most review sites cover the good and downgrade the bad. I've read some buyer feedbacks as well and that put me on the fence. Do they ship real melons?

After searching the net I've found a better review. A bit harsh finally one that seems to tell it how it is. What do you think about this Alpine review post? How bad are the drawbacks?

How hard is life with just one USB? What about the screen resolution is it a pixel war?

Tips?
19-11-2019 02:22pm
Clip

Sorry guys, this just popped in my Junk box. Haven't owned the car for years now.
The problem with mine was there was a fault with the OEM amp not outputting to the sub. So after a few discussions with the dealer it became obvious that they didn't have the slightest interest in helping. So I decided to put a dedicated amp in just to drive the OEM sub. It worked fantastically and turned the system into a very nice sounding unit.

I've owned 4 cars around this time - VW Passat with premium DynAudio, Mercedes A250 Sport with Harmon Kardon premium unit, Toyota Hilux (2018 - not even worth mentioning that heap of crap, sold it 2 months later), 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (great truck, but couldn't tow the boat!), 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee. By far, the best sound system was the premium Alpine in the Jeep Wrangler! It absolutely kicks every other OEM unit I've heard. It went ridiculously loud without the slightest distortion with solid well defined bass, amazing midrange, but with just the slightest miss on the very upper frequencies. This system was specially designed by Alpine and they did an exceptional job for a stock system. if you're interested here's a link to a video explaining it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwwhh5R2Mp8
21-11-2019 08:47am