Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Stop/Start Quirk.
Evo-king

Stop/Start Quirk.

I was out in the car this morning, once the car was warm the stop/start kicked in, then I stopped for a while and turned the engine off.

When I came back to the car, as it was damp outside, I turned up the heating, blower setting and kept the A/C on.

I pulled up at a couple of traffic lights S/S did not kick in, that made sense as there were a number of drains on the car.

Then I came up to a main junction, in a queue of about 9 cars, stopped, S/S still didn't kick in, at this point I turned the A/C off, the cars in front started moving, then stops again, this is a big junction and there is a long wait on these lights. During this wait I realise I don't need the blower setting so high, I turn down the dial, it all goes quiet and I see that the rev counter has dropped to 0 RPM.

I only though S/S worked on initial stop, but it appears not, it stops at will!

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
20-12-2012 11:55am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
speary

RE: Stop/Start Quirk.

If you are stopped in neutral with the clutch up it will decide when to stop all by itself depending on many things. It doesnt matter how many times you come to a halt in a traffic queue.

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
20-12-2012 01:55pm
Evo-king

I know all about that.

I probably didn't explain this well enough.

I had stopped for about the 15th time on this journey.

I was stationary, in neutral with clutch up. Engine still running about 10 seconds later I turn the blower down, then the engine shuts down in S/S mode.

This has never happened before, S/S only kicks in the moment the car is stopped.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
20-12-2012 02:22pm
Big G

(20-12-2012 11:55am)Evo-king Wrote:  I was out in the car this morning, once the car was warm the stop/start kicked in, then I stopped for a while and turned the engine off.

When I came back to the car, as it was damp outside, I turned up the heating, blower setting and kept the A/C on.

I pulled up at a couple of traffic lights S/S did not kick in, that made sense as there were a number of drains on the car.

Then I came up to a main junction, in a queue of about 9 cars, stopped, S/S still didn't kick in, at this point I turned the A/C off, the cars in front started moving, then stops again, this is a big junction and there is a long wait on these lights. During this wait I realise I don't need the blower setting so high, I turn down the dial, it all goes quiet and I see that the rev counter has dropped to 0 RPM.

I only though S/S worked on initial stop, but it appears not, it stops at will!
From the UserManual:
CONDITIONS PREVENTING AUTOMATIC ENGINE STOP
The engine will not automatically stop if:-
CONDITIONS PREVENTING
AUTOMATIC ENGINE STOP
The engine will not automatically stop if:- the external temperature is below approximately 0°C (32°F)
the external temperature is above approximately40°C (104°F), engine has not reached operating
temperature , driver’s seat belt is not fastened, driver’s door is not fully closed, the driver’s foot is on either the clutch or accelerator pedals, climate control system demand is high, battery charge is low, the DPF is regenerating

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collected !! 18/02/2012
Prestige Coupe SD4 Sumatra Black, Spirit interior, Pano roof , Heated seats, Privacy, Rear vents, Rear camera,Manual & style 5 19s. Not Prestige mats, 54 miles in tank when collected.
(This post was last modified: 20-12-2012 02:45pm by Big G.)
20-12-2012 02:36pm
NightFox

(20-12-2012 02:22pm)Evo-king Wrote:  I know all about that.

I probably didn't explain this well enough.

I had stopped for about the 15th time on this journey.

I was stationary, in neutral with clutch up. Engine still running about 10 seconds later I turn the blower down, then the engine shuts down in S/S mode.

This has never happened before, S/S only kicks in the moment the car is stopped.

In my relatively short period of ownership I've also experienced this once, came to a halt at some road works, S/S didn't kick in until after about 20 seconds it suddenly decided to - I hadn't turned anything off, though I guess alternator demand is changing all the time 'behind the scenes'.

I've quickly got used to S/S working when I come to a halt, the only thing that makes me leap out of my skin every time is when it decides it needs to restart by itself (before I press the clutch ready to go). Shocked

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror
Ordered 14/6/12 ~ Built 13/11/12 ~ Delivered 15/11/12 ~ Collected 20/11/12

[Image: 163643.png]
20-12-2012 04:36pm