Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Stone chip protection film?
arlenecheyne

Stone chip protection film?

Hi

Has anyone considered using (or used) protection film to protect your body work from stone chips?

This is something I am seriously considering for when my Evoque comes in May but not sure where to start investigating.

Thanks.

ON ORDER :Mauritius Blue Dynamic SD4 auto with black contrast roof. Ordered on 30th Jan 2012 and scheduled for delivery on 18th May Smile
09-03-2012 04:22pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Donny Dog

RE: Stone chip protection film?

(09-03-2012 04:22pm)arlenecheyne Wrote:  Hi

Has anyone considered using (or used) protection film to protect your body work from stone chips?

This is something I am seriously considering for when my Evoque comes in May but not sure where to start investigating.

Thanks.

You can soon find it by searchin the internet, but, personally, I wouldn't bother. My experience is that dirt eventually gets under the edges and then there's nothing you can do except remove it (with difficulty).
09-03-2012 05:18pm
cjfp

also, see here

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Paint-fil...light=film

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
09-03-2012 06:08pm
arlenecheyne

(09-03-2012 06:08pm)cjfp Wrote:  also, see here

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Paint-fil...light=film

Thank you!

ON ORDER :Mauritius Blue Dynamic SD4 auto with black contrast roof. Ordered on 30th Jan 2012 and scheduled for delivery on 18th May Smile
09-03-2012 06:22pm
mickydd

Agree with Donny Dog, dirt seems to get under the edge and soon starts to look crap. You have to be careful jet washing as well as edge can lift. We used to use it on our fleet vehicles, but no longer do.

Arrived 24th February. Dynamic 5 dr SD4, manual ,Firenze with Verve interior, 20" Sparkle
09-03-2012 07:26pm
arlenecheyne

(09-03-2012 07:26pm)mickydd Wrote:  Agree with Donny Dog, dirt seems to get under the edge and soon starts to look crap. You have to be careful jet washing as well as edge can lift. We used to use it on our fleet vehicles, but no longer do.

Thanks mickydd

09-03-2012 08:12pm
Spiderman

Some of the premium brands use stone chip film on their cars, these look dirty at the edges after a few washes as the dirt sticks to the edges, I know I have it applied on my white Maserati and a few other cars, over time it can also appear quite milky and if it starts to peel it can lift the paint off with it....

As an Evoque front end repaint is much cheaper than the film I wouldn't bother having it applied. However, if you do then it is important that you do not use any chemicals such as TFR on it....

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 03:17am by Spiderman.)
10-03-2012 03:16am
Sarcastrix

The films are a lot better these days, the 3M vinyl's carry a 5 year warranty. Somewhere such as http://www.totally-dynamic.co.uk/ should be able to quote you. Note: I have no connection with company.

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
10-03-2012 12:16pm
VirtualCamper

A quick question for you detailing experts.....

I have recently discovered Aqua Wax from Auto Glym and really liek the eaz\se of use and the results it gives, but I know how you all feel about Auto Glym Wink
is there something similar any of you can recommend that works in the same way :- spray on while car it still slightly wet (i.e. no need to chamis) leave to dry and polish, with no white powder residue like I used to get with Mer or similar.

thanks

2017 Evoque SE Tech - Kaikoura Stone - > PREVIOUSLY - 5dr Pure Mauritius blue with panoramic roof, power tailgate.
10-03-2012 07:26pm
doug

(10-03-2012 07:26pm)VirtualCamper Wrote:  A quick question for you detailing experts.....

I have recently discovered Aqua Wax from Auto Glym and really liek the eaz\se of use and the results it gives, but I know how you all feel about Auto Glym Wink
is there something similar any of you can recommend that works in the same way :- spray on while car it still slightly wet (i.e. no need to chamis) leave to dry and polish, with no white powder residue like I used to get with Mer or similar.

thanks

Nothing wrong with Auto Glym, a mate of mine uses Aqua Wax & loves it. But there is better
Gtechinq products are all water based, so can be water down or sprayed on to a wet surface. For a sealer try there C2, for best results polish your paint work to get any light marks out & give a good shine to your paint, then remove any polish left behind with a 50% mix of IPA (isopropanol - isopropyl alcohol) & water. Then apply a neat coat of C2 just spray on a MF cloth, wipe on to paint, leave for a few minutes & wipe off Cool. Once the complete car is done, leave it for a few hours & apply a second coat.
Now the bit you asked about. You can mix C2 with water 50/50 mix to use as a quick detailer, spraying on to WET or dry paint. You could just use C2 as a 50/50 mix without the base work, but for the best results make a full day of it Smile
For a Wax, try there C3. This can be used on paint,glass & trim. Wet or dry paint. I use it as a quick detailer, great product.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
10-03-2012 09:45pm