Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Steering wheel controls Fault with lights on??
CH11PY_H

Steering wheel controls Fault with lights on??

I have currently owned my Evoque for 6 months now. I have a re occurring problem of the audio controls on the steering wheel not working when the lights are switched on. They may not work for 3/4 weeks at a time, sometimes less, sometimes more. All the other controls on the right hand side of the steering wheel will work fine, and the audio controls will begin to work again when I turn the lights off.

The car has been booked in once at LR to rectify this issue but typically they started working again before the appointment time came around. Surprise Surprise the technicians could find nothing wrong.

Well the fault is now back. I have took a video on my iPhone to show the workshop, however I am guessing by the time the car is due to be looked at, the fault will have repaired itself again.

Does anyone know what is causing this issue or have you experienced it yourselves? Thanks
21-06-2016 08:01pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pete

RE: Steering wheel controls Fault with lights on??

I get the same things sometimes on mine (one every couple of months or so). I find that twiddling the volume knob gets it working again.

But your problem does sound like it's worse than mine, so I'm probably no help here.

Porsche Macan
22-06-2016 07:38am
mighTTy-RRE

Mine has problems with the left side steering controls which is random, but more recently I realised that randomness coincides with the headlights being on at start up (I use auto headlights) suggesting that it is a system initialisation problem??
23-06-2016 08:24am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

If you use the forum search function I think you will find quite a few hits for this problem which was common on pre 2014MY cars. I'm sure Philskill will be along and guide you shortly!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
23-06-2016 11:06am
PhilSkill

Indeed Tim, I remember many having the steering wheel button controls either left or right replaced by dealers in the earlier models, Never had the issue myself though thankfully.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
23-06-2016 05:22pm
CH11PY_H

Thanks for your replies. The first time it happened I did do a search via google and found it was quite common issue (Before I was a member on here.) Thats when I booked it in too my local LR Dealership. However, the dealers were apparently unaware of this issue and cannot do anything to help unless the fault is occurring at the time.

I am quite tempted to call out LR Assistance to show them the fault whilst it is happening. Although it is not a 'Breakdown' issue as such and I feel I would be wasting their time, I feel this is the only way to get some sense out of them.
23-06-2016 06:01pm
browny287

CH11PY i had the same problem and twice the stealers said they couldn't replicate the problem. I took a video on my IPhone to show them when i booked it in. As sods law went the issue cleared itself two days before taking the car in and i happened to ask on the RRE Owners forum about this, someone gave me the service bulletin which is LTB600663v4 and when i arrived at the service desk the nice young lady had a copy of it in the docket. Since then no problems, i would suggest you do as i did and tell the stealers you don't want the car back until they have resolved the issue.
24-08-2016 01:59pm
CH11PY_H

Thanks Browny. I have since had the issued rectified (Hopefully) last week. I had to show one of the technicians the fault as it was happening before i could book the car in. He did tell me about the technical bulletin. Easy fix apparently, they inject some kind of silicone gel or something like that into the controls. Thats what I could gather anyway.
Lets see how long it lasts... seems like a bit of a bodge to me!
26-08-2016 09:11pm