Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Steering Wheel volume control issues?
Tulabb

RE: Steering Wheel volume control issues?

(08-11-2013 12:11pm)RichardW66 Wrote:  Mine is in for it's first service and in the last 4 weeks has had issues with the volume control and telephone buttons.

Mt very low (6500K) mileage Evoque has a few rattles and niggles which I have listed for the dealer, they have had the car since Monday the 4th November and today I was told it will be Monday the 11th before I get her back (at the earliest).

Hopefully this means my list of issues is getting proper attention and I won't see the problems again.

I have been given a Freelander on loan, bad marketing move by the dealer, I am so looking forward to getting the Evoque back, now if they had given me a new RRS on loan.... that would be a different story.

Got mine booked in for the recall thing in dec. I have the same problem with volume and tele button...it's so random and difficult to monitor...happened again this evening on the tele button. My mileage is around 6000k so we are similar...car will be 1 year old end of the month.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2013 10:41pm by Tulabb.)
08-11-2013 10:40pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
paisan

I have been having same issues as well . Been in twice , first time delaer reseated the control unit in steering wheel , second time they couldnt find anything and requested I "monitor the situation" . My pet theory is that the computer is off doing something else for a while ( trip computer , MPG , cruise control etc ) and simply doesnt respond . Then randomly it will , eventually , respond to the steering wheel controls.
Mentioned it in this post as well :
http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Steering-...are-Update
11-11-2013 09:45am
RichardW66

(08-11-2013 10:40pm)Tulabb Wrote:  Got mine booked in for the recall thing in dec. I have the same problem with volume and tele button...it's so random and difficult to monitor...happened again this evening on the tele button. My mileage is around 6000k so we are similar...car will be 1 year old end of the month.

Must be the same batch, as mine is 1 year old on the 26th of this month.

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Fuji White ~ Ebony Leather ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Xenons with LED Signature ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Electric Heated Powerfold Mirrors ~ Auto-Dimming Mirror ~ Privacy Glass ~ Front Fog Lights ~ 20" Style 6 Wheels M+S Tyres ~ Twin Exhaust Pipes (like the SD4)
Ordered: 07/03/12 ~ Behind the wheel: 22/11/12
11-11-2013 10:44am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
paisan

(11-11-2013 10:44am)RichardW66 Wrote:  Must be the same batch, as mine is 1 year old on the 26th of this month.

Mine ( TD4 , Pure ) is 31000 miles and March 2012 , so bit wider than one batch . Highly frustrating as its so random which makes me think its computer based as opposed to a failing steering control part. Bit like when a PC goes off on a jolly of its own for 30 seconds or a minute then new windows pop up everywhere in response to every key you have been pressing in order to get a reaction.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 01:30pm by paisan.)
11-11-2013 01:30pm
1nut2ballz

Ok, after my post, it sort of started to work again. Then it didn't. Then it did, then didn't. So I just dropped it off today at the dealership AND they were able to reproduce the issue (while I was there).
I was getting worried because it started working on the way there.

We'll see what happens now. Unlike you lucky folks, I got a GM equinox as a loaner. blah

so no complaints about getting a land rover freelander.
09-01-2014 04:35am
Westy

(09-01-2014 04:35am)1nut2ballz Wrote:  Ok, after my post, it sort of started to work again. Then it didn't. Then it did, then didn't. So I just dropped it off today at the dealership AND they were able to reproduce the issue (while I was there).
I was getting worried because it started working on the way there.

We'll see what happens now. Unlike you lucky folks, I got a GM equinox as a loaner. blah

so no complaints about getting a land rover freelander.

I have the same problem that also comes and goes, mine is a February 2012, it also happens with the control of the Bluetooth.

The only thing you can do is when it does it, try and stop safely and use your phone or something to record it, I did this with my Bluetooth issue as I couldn't replicate the fault at the dealer, it helped a lot and helped get the fault fixed, new Bluetooth unit fixed the fault.

I am not sure if it is sterling wheel or computer faults, most likely to the computer side of things

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
09-01-2014 07:17pm
1nut2ballz

"Good" news

The dealer noticed some failure codes relating to hardware in the steering wheel that could cause this issue. There are apparently also a bunch of software updates for the radio system that they applied twice. It started working again so they ordered the replacement hardware and we'll monitor it to see if the software update fixed the problem (the software could also cause the fault codes). At the end of the day, bring the car to the dealer so there's at least a record of the issue.
10-01-2014 07:54pm
rob1

I've been experiencing same problems as described here with volume, channel skip, and phone buttons not working intermittently without pattern.
However have now had an even stranger symptom ... the touch screen controls also stopped responding, as well as the audio power/volume dial knob below the screen. After a few attempted touches on the screen, the whole screen clicked and went black (this is still while driving), stayed dark for a few seconds, then re-booted itself with the Range Rover logo, and came back to normal.

Certainly seems to suggest a computer problem instead of a button hardware problem, though possible there are two different problems going on.

Pure SD4 auto, white, sunroof, tech pack, clearview pack, power fold mirrors, elec leather seats, power tailgate, park distance front, rear camera, roof rails/crossbars, mudflaps, rubber loadspace mat.
21-01-2014 01:16am
1nut2ballz

Definitely take it to the dealer and ask them to check it out. Hopefully they will reset/reinstall the software for you and do whatever it is they do. They actually had to do it twice for me. They said there were several software updates they put in as well.
21-01-2014 01:29am
rob1

(21-01-2014 01:29am)1nut2ballz Wrote:  Definitely take it to the dealer and ask them to check it out. Hopefully they will reset/reinstall the software for you and do whatever it is they do. They actually had to do it twice for me. They said there were several software updates they put in as well.

Thanks. Yep, been to the dealer with this once (before the touch screen problem appeared). Dealer couldnt find an issue and asked to me to monitor it. Schedule to go back for a different issue, so will ask them to look again.

Pure SD4 auto, white, sunroof, tech pack, clearview pack, power fold mirrors, elec leather seats, power tailgate, park distance front, rear camera, roof rails/crossbars, mudflaps, rubber loadspace mat.
21-01-2014 01:56am