Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Steering Wheel volume control issues?
mighTTy-RRE

RE: Steering Wheel volume control issues?

Is there a definitive fix for this? Is it a hardware or software issue.

At random my left side switches are playing up, sometime the up/down volume, sometimes the phone buttons sometime the speech button, or any combination of the above.

It is booked in to my dealer for diagnosis and fix. Seeing that others have had the same/similar problems, it would be interesting to know what the final fix was.

Thanks Richard
03-02-2014 06:43pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
speary

(03-02-2014 06:43pm)mighTTy-RRE Wrote:  Is there a definitive fix for this? Is it a hardware or software issue.

At random my left side switches are playing up, sometime the up/down volume, sometimes the phone buttons sometime the speech button, or any combination of the above.

It is booked in to my dealer for diagnosis and fix. Seeing that others have had the same/similar problems, it would be interesting to know what the final fix was.

Thanks Richard
As this is intermittent, record it happening on your phone as I am pretty certain it will not happen when you take it to the dealer
Had my button set replaced twice and it still fails occasionally. To be honest I can't be arsed keep taking it back to the dealer so I guess LR win and I'll just have to put up with the fault

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
06-02-2014 02:12pm
rob1

(03-02-2014 06:43pm)mighTTy-RRE Wrote:  Is there a definitive fix for this? Is it a hardware or software issue.

Thanks Richard
Mine was playing up frequently, took to dealer, no fault codes, could not reproduce, and they asked me to monitor it. Then it starting happening almost constantly. Took videos of it. Now it's gone back to happening occasionally. No obvious pattern I can see. Am waiting on dealer to get a part in for a different issue before I go back to ask them to check it out again.

Pure SD4 auto, white, sunroof, tech pack, clearview pack, power fold mirrors, elec leather seats, power tailgate, park distance front, rear camera, roof rails/crossbars, mudflaps, rubber loadspace mat.
07-02-2014 12:42am
Jeroma

(07-02-2014 12:42am)rob1 Wrote:  Mine was playing up frequently, took to dealer, no fault codes, could not reproduce, and they asked me to monitor it. Then it starting happening almost constantly. Took videos of it. Now it's gone back to happening occasionally. No obvious pattern I can see. Am waiting on dealer to get a part in for a different issue before I go back to ask them to check it out again.
My car was at the dealer for it's first check at 2000 miles. it's a MY14 and the cruise control buttons are still unreliable.
I'm used to follow traffic by switching up and and down on motorways. Mainly the decrease button has to be pushed 4 of 5 times to react, very frustrating as you have to look every time at the dash to see if it worked or not. Unfortunately the dealer could not find an error code.

The radio switch on the steering wheel is a DESIGN disaster. JLR should have fitted a splitted control button.
If I try to decrease/increase the volume blindly it's switching stations at the same time. I' m now using the control at the centre panel, but this is not the purpose of the design. JLR wake up

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
08-02-2014 04:35pm
MY13 Prestige

Steering Wheel volume control issues?

I had exactly the same problem and my dealer replaced the whole steering wheel, and the problem was gone. I guess there's prob a batch of defective controls installed in the steering wheels. I would insist on a unit replacement or a whole new steering wheel.

Using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2014 08:29pm by MY13 Prestige.)
08-04-2014 08:28pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
speary

Mine now appears to be fixed at the third attempt. They replaced the wiring harness, presumably the one from the steering wheel to the head unit

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
09-04-2014 08:28am
mighTTy-RRE

Mine went in and no fault found, but it worked fine most of the time anyway (only being a problem about once a week). A software update was applied at the same time which reset all the settings on the SatNav/Radio Unit.

A few days later I restored a setting on it so that when pressing the "AV" button it remained on the radio indefinitely rather than for only a minute. Hey Presto buttons stop working for 2 days until I put 2 and 2 together.

I changed back to 1 minute and the problem has gone away (now for 6 weeks).

Therefore I believe the problem is a software or a software/hardware initialisation fault.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2014 01:13pm by mighTTy-RRE.)
09-04-2014 01:12pm
Lwelsh

I had the same problem in my 2013 evoque. After a visit to LR the replaced the wiring harness as they said it seems to be when you have your lights on it can cause high resistance stopping the controls on the steering column from working. Since the wiring harness has been replaced have had no more problems.
31-07-2014 11:26am
JimWooly

I don't doubt that is what you were told, but I do doubt that explanation.

[Image: 298252.png]
31-07-2014 09:55pm
RichardW66

Having had this problem last year (it was looked at during the 1st service in November 2013) the problem seemed to improve after the service, however, occasionally it reared its ugly head and I could not answer calls or change volume. I reported this fault again at my second service this week and having got the Evoque back today, see that the entire steering wheel (and wiring harness) has been replaced.
Hopefully this has sorted the problem once and for all....

I also had the most annoying rattle from the rear of the vehicle (passenger side), my children said it sounded as if it was coming from the roof lining around the airbag area in the luggage area. I have been told today that there were broken clips in the lining and these have been replaced, driving home from the dealership was a joy as the rattle had been driving me crazy....

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Fuji White ~ Ebony Leather ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Xenons with LED Signature ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Electric Heated Powerfold Mirrors ~ Auto-Dimming Mirror ~ Privacy Glass ~ Front Fog Lights ~ 20" Style 6 Wheels M+S Tyres ~ Twin Exhaust Pipes (like the SD4)
Ordered: 07/03/12 ~ Behind the wheel: 22/11/12
21-11-2014 02:07pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply