Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Steering Lock error
Barneyridge

Steering Lock error

Hi guys. I have not been on here for ages. I had an interesting one this morning, jumped into the car and pressed the start button, the steering column locked and the error steering locked came on the screen and the car would not start. I searched google and some freelander forums suggested a battery, others said a sensor.

Anyway, called Land rover assist, they said my membership had expired. I had renewed up to Jan2016 but it I believe I have never seen a renewal for 16/17.

They sent NRMA out and he basically had no idea. It needed to be towed to the mechanic. Again NRMA did not know how to get into neutral when the car can't start. I showed him how (for those that don't know, press the start button without your foot on the brake. Once the accessories are on, hold the up shift gear paddle on the steering wheel for 15 send or so with your foot on the brake. The gear nob will raise so you can put in neutral.)

As the steering was locked we had to use wheel dolleys to move the car out of the garage. In the end it was the battery, so easy fix.

Hope this helps if someone has the same problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pure TD4, Fiji, Auto, Pan Roof + Extras - Delivered Very Happy
31-08-2016 03:31am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sarcastrix

RE: Steering Lock error

Glad u got it sorted.

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
31-08-2016 08:41am
Barneyridge

Steering Lock error

Went to pick up the car, jumped in and did exactly the same thing as this morning. They did a full service replacing brakes etc whilst there, started and stopped a number of times, test drove it all good, and of course after I paid the bill and got into to drive away it did it to me. An overnight stay for the evoque and a pain in the butt for me tomorrow.

31-08-2016 09:01am
Barneyridge

Steering Lock error

Just an update, I have finally got the car back. What finally fixed the problem was the replacement of the steering lock mechanism. It cost $280 AUD for the part . What was interesting, there looked like marks as if it was hit with something repeatedly , and I am the first owner and that is how it came out of the factory!

10-09-2016 12:34pm