Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Standard wheels on a Pure?
Pommyboi

Standard wheels on a Pure?

Hi,

We ordered a Pure, 5 door, Auto SD4 last week and are trying to finalise the spec. The parking camera is a must given the size of the car, plus folding mirrors, front parking sensor and fog lights. It will be in either Grey or Red.

I was thinking about keeping the standard 18" wheels, I've seen a few online and finally saw a Pure with 18" wheels in the flesh yesterday at Colliers in Birmingham, they didn't look too bad although the tyres looked really big.

As we're going with an Almond interior we thought we'd not bother with the panoramic roof, as someone else mentioned on here the benefit seems to be better for the rear seat passengers rather than the drivers so I may put the money towards Xenons or Park assist.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the pro's or con's of the standard wheels?

Have you found Park assist to work well in the real world and would you recommend it? There is a good demo on youtube Park Assist on the Evoque

Thanks!

On order: Feb 2012 - Pure, 5 door, SD4 auto, Style 4 wheels, Front parking, fog lights, rear camera, spare wheel. Red Contrast roof, Ebony- final spec TBC
(This post was last modified: 27-01-2012 04:04pm by Pommyboi.)
27-01-2012 02:18pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ED209

RE: Standard wheels

A parking camera a must on a car the size of a ford focus? really? especially when it already has standard parking sensors.

Im going for the std wheels on my pure.
27-01-2012 03:17pm
Pommyboi

RE: Standard wheels

ok, good point about the length of the car being the same as a focus which I hadn't actually realised. I guess from my personal perspective having only had a short test drive the rear visibility looked very limited compared to what I've been used to in the past and it's a much wider car.

On order: Feb 2012 - Pure, 5 door, SD4 auto, Style 4 wheels, Front parking, fog lights, rear camera, spare wheel. Red Contrast roof, Ebony- final spec TBC
27-01-2012 04:03pm
LDT

RE: Standard wheels on a Pure?

I would definitely go with the camera due to limited vision, as you state.

Prestige SD4 Auto, Ipanema/Ambience, Style 4 Wheels, Pan Roof, Privacy, Dimming Mirror, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps.
[Image: 116286.png]
27-01-2012 04:15pm
WB
WB

Parking camera really is a must - rear visibility is one of the sacrifices you make for the styling of the Evoque and I'm somewhat surprised LR don't make the rear camera standard even on the pure. It's also a VERY wide car so you need to make sure you get close to the kerb.

I went for the 19" wheels which I think give the car a meatier stance while still maintaining ride comfort.

You can read more about park assist if you do a search on the forum - I think in summary works well during the day and less well at night.
27-01-2012 04:17pm
Craig_d1

had 18in on the pure i had. You get used to them. Rear camera is a must imo, as while you have the rear sensors, seeing as the wing mirrors don't dip unless you specify the electric seats with memory, you are a bit blind still.
Would rather have xenons than 19in wheels also as the brighness diff between the two is massive. Again, you get used to the halogens, but they don't compare to the brightness of xenons.
Then again, I'd have the pano roof....welcome to the minefield of speccing Smile
27-01-2012 05:00pm
Pommyboi

Thanks some useful info. I hadn't thought about the mirrors dipping on reverse so I'm glad that was mentioned

A question about the xenons, are they bi-xenons? I've had them before and they were great for lighting up road signs etc even on a dipped beam, that could also be because they were set too high and I got flashed by other drivers for 3 years despite asking VW twice to check they were set correctly....

27-01-2012 05:24pm
ytshome

If you can afford it the 19's look good and ride well for a big wheel. The camera is well worth the expense but don't think that the rear view is dreadful, it's just a bit limited but much better than say a VW Scirocco. For me the Xenons on the pure are all about the look. Personally I wouldn't pay the extra price for just the better lighting but with the Evoque more than any other I can think of the xenon look is pretty integral to the car.

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
(This post was last modified: 27-01-2012 05:33pm by ytshome.)
27-01-2012 05:33pm
Dave_T

If I could only have one upgrade on the Pure, it would be the Xenons.
The Halogens are terrible! - but the 18" wheels are fine Thumbs Up
29-01-2012 10:44pm
J77

I have a pure and would recommend going for 19"s also I didn't go for the xenons, I find the halogens excellent, the only downside is you don't get signature lighting but I wasn't prepared to £700+ for some fancy DRLs, standard DRLs look fine.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
29-01-2012 11:29pm