Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Solar Attenuating Glass
Bowl

RE: Solar Attenuating Glass

(08-06-2012 04:03pm)jojosr Wrote:  I have ordered the glass, but later on canceled, my dealer confirmed, that glass is blocking GPS and 3G signals...

I have SA glass and I can use GPS and 3G with no problem at all. The only signal being blocked is the EasyPass, but that's because of the heating element in the windshield, not SA.

Evoque SD4 Coupé Dynamic, Fuji White, Santoriny Pano roof, Lux pack, RSE, style 8 wheels, along with everything else.
08-06-2012 04:24pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kimv

Solar Attenuating Glass

(08-06-2012 04:24pm)Bowl Wrote:  I have SA glass and I can use GPS and 3G with no problem at all. The only signal being blocked is the EasyPass, but that's because of the heating element in the windshield, not SA.

Apparently it depends on which device you use. To be safe I took the Tech Pack which includes SatNav. 3G reception works normal.

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Tech Pack, Santorini Black, Verve Interior with Ebony headlining, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Solar Attenuating Glass, Style 7 Alloys, Adaptive Dynamics.
08-06-2012 05:47pm
mpw

I presume the EasyPass device is for the toll/peage? I use TelePeage device in France (small box that transmits/receives signal from the toll/peage to automatically bill and let me through at the toll). With solar attenuating glass the place to put such a device is at the top of the front windscreen marked by the black dots - these dots don't have the solar glass and allow transmission/sending of the signal. As such, my TelPeage device is placed in a holder that is affixed to the glass in this space. Works a treat.
09-06-2012 03:12pm
Kimv

Solar Attenuating Glass

(09-06-2012 03:12pm)mpw Wrote:  I presume the EasyPass device is for the toll/peage? I use TelePeage device in France (small box that transmits/receives signal from the toll/peage to automatically bill and let me through at the toll). With solar attenuating glass the place to put such a device is at the top of the front windscreen marked by the black dots - these dots don't have the solar glass and allow transmission/sending of the signal. As such, my TelPeage device is placed in a holder that is affixed to the glass in this space. Works a treat.

I've been wanting to get a Télépéage device... It bothers me having to lower my window when it's raining.... Which it does continuously nowadays!

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Tech Pack, Santorini Black, Verve Interior with Ebony headlining, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Solar Attenuating Glass, Style 7 Alloys, Adaptive Dynamics.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2012 06:24pm by Kimv.)
09-06-2012 06:22pm
Starflyer

(30-10-2011 10:17pm)Gorjan Wrote:  I would get it, but still wondering if it is on all windows or just windshield. I also wonder would it disrupt the signal for the GPS, as I will use my iPad for navigation instead of ordering the LR nav.

So Berlin, when you get your car, I would ask you, if you would like please test the navigation on an iPhone or iPad if you have one (or any device with GPS), inside the car.

I realize this is an old post, but in regards to GPS, my Garmin doesn't work anywhere near the front windscreen. I think I have the Solar glass, but AFAIK, the reason the Garmin doesn't work is because of the electrically heated windscreen. The tiny almost invisible wires prevent GPS signals from coming through the windscreen.

In regards to using an IP or an iPad, I think you would have to have a TRUE unlimited data plan to keep redrawing the maps. Curious as to how you would mount an iPad in an Evoque.
10-06-2012 04:16am
Bowl

(10-06-2012 04:16am)Starflyer Wrote:  In regards to using an IP or an iPad, I think you would have to have a TRUE unlimited data plan to keep redrawing the maps. Curious as to how you would mount an iPad in an Evoque.
How about an iPhone? There are many GPS apps with offline maps, such as TomTom.

Evoque SD4 Coupé Dynamic, Fuji White, Santoriny Pano roof, Lux pack, RSE, style 8 wheels, along with everything else.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2012 08:21am by Bowl.)
10-06-2012 08:15am
Rootsboy

i cant really say about the phone, where i live the signal cuts out all over the place jut walking about, i did have the nav on my phone working just to try it out, and it seemed to work ok. if i even take the car to main land europe i m sure i will have a better idea.
oh one other thing i noticed yesterday that sun coming in through the side window defiantly warms up the black leather seats more then sun coming through the windscreen.

SD4 Prestige 5 Door Manual. Fuji White. 20" Style 6 Wheels. Vibe-Ebony Interior and Header. Panoramic Roof. AD. Privacy and Solar Attenuating Glass. Surround Camera, Heated Seats. Pollution Sensor. Rear Vents. 825W Sound and a Spare Wheel
14-06-2012 10:01am