Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Snow Chains vs Traction Devices... What's the difference??
rchrdleigh

RE: Snow Chains vs Traction Devices... What's the difference??

(10-02-2013 08:21am)AandM1228 Wrote:  Yet another puzzle... The online manual on Topix is completely different than the one inside the car? You are correct, online is says nothing about snow chains (at least that I can see). Also the manual in the car has the US spelling for words (tire vs tyre) etc whereas the online Topix version has the UK spellings??

Oh well. I guess if the need arises I will follow the manual (hard copy) and apply the chains to the rear wheels. Better to be safe than sorry.

In this case, I don't think they are being overly cautious. We went out yesterday, started the car, reversed and turned the wheels to see how much space there was.. I was completely shocked... I could barely get my fingertip in between the tire and the black molding in the wheel arch. I'm guessing if you hit a pothole or anything else when the wheels are turned you could do some damage.

I would contact Liam@LandRover Customer Services and ask him to clarify.
I think you may have a US spec manual rather than a UK one.
Personally, if only fitting chains to one axle I would fit to the front to maximise my steering control and also because the Evoque/Freelander is predominantly a front wheel drive car. When moving off from stationary drive is 90% front wheels and 10% rear and even at a constant speed it is a 70:30 front rear split.
Traditional advice for fitting traction devices to a 4x4 is preferably all 4 wheels or if only 2 wheels then front only.
Hence my suggestion of contacting Liam or asking your Dealer.
10-02-2013 08:41pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply