Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Snow Chains vs Traction Devices... What's the difference??
AandM1228

I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between snow chains and traction devices?

We are planning a ski trip in a couple of weeks and I am SO confused! I am hoping that we won't have to worry about chains at all but last year when we went they had the signs up requiring chains to get over the pass so we had to chain up. (We had a different vehicle then)

In my manual on page 214 under Using Snow chains it says:
-Full chain traction devices can be fitted to the rear wheels of vehicles fitted with 19 and 20 inch diameter wheels
-Half chain traction devices can be fitted to the rear wheels of vehicles fitted with 21 and 22 inch wheels

then 5 pages over on page 219 under Using Traction Devices it says:
-DO NOT fit traction devices to 18,19 or 20 inch diameter wheels
-Single sided Spike-spyder traction devices can be fitted to only the front wheels of vehicles fitted with 17 inch diameter wheels and tires.

I have ordered a set of the Maggi Trak chains
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehse...=235/55-19

They arrived and I did test them out on the rear wheels to make sure they would fit and pull up on the tire like they are supposed to. It only took about 2-3 minutes and they were on but now I am a little concerned if we should even be using snow chains on the Evoque at all.

I guess in addition to the differences in chains/traction devices, has anyone else used snow chains? If so, did you put them on the rear wheels or front?

(Thought I should mention that I have 19 inch wheels)

Thanks for your help,
April

Ordered 23 May 2012, Delivered 26 October 2012
2013 5 door Fuji White, Pure w/Premium and Climate Packages
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 02:37pm by AandM1228.)
07-02-2013 02:32pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Donny Dog

RE: Snow Chains vs Traction Devices... What's the difference??

(07-02-2013 02:32pm)AandM1228 Wrote:  I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between snow chains and traction devices?

We are planning a ski trip in a couple of weeks and I am SO confused! I am hoping that we won't have to worry about chains at all but last year when we went they had the signs up requiring chains to get over the pass so we had to chain up. (We had a different vehicle then)

In my manual on page 214 under Using Snow chains it says:
-Full chain traction devices can be fitted to the rear wheels of vehicles fitted with 19 and 20 inch diameter wheels
-Half chain traction devices can be fitted to the rear wheels of vehicles fitted with 21 and 22 inch wheels

then 5 pages over on page 219 under Using Traction Devices it says:
-DO NOT fit traction devices to 18,19 or 20 inch diameter wheels
-Single sided Spike-spyder traction devices can be fitted to only the front wheels of vehicles fitted with 17 inch diameter wheels and tires.

I have ordered a set of the Maggi Trak chains
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehse...=235/55-19

They arrived and I did test them out on the rear wheels to make sure they would fit and pull up on the tire like they are supposed to. It only took about 2-3 minutes and they were on but now I am a little concerned if we should even be using snow chains on the Evoque at all.

I guess in addition to the differences in chains/traction devices, has anyone else used snow chains? If so, did you put them on the rear wheels or front?

(Thought I should mention that I have 19 inch wheels)

Thanks for your help,
April

The use of the phrase 'traction device' in relation to snow chains and other traction devices is somewhat confusing! 'Other traction devices' probably refers to spikes, studs, and other non-chain devices.

I can only assume that the restrictions listed on which wheels you can use them on relates to clearance in the respective wheel arch, rather than any traction benefit. Ideally, on a four-wheel drive car, you should fit them on all four wheels. In normal (non-slipping) circumstances, the Evoque drives 95% through the front wheels, so you could argue that chains should be on the front. However, the issue is confused by the arch clearance issue and the fact that, when slipping does occur, all four wheels will be driven at some stage.
07-02-2013 03:14pm
AandM1228

Thanks.

I would definitely prefer to have them on the front (or all 4) but I guess if end up having to use them, we will just put them on the back.

08-02-2013 07:46am
rchrdleigh

Snow Chains usually refers to the traditional type of snow chain that fits over the tyre and also covers the front and back of the tyre to ensure a secure fit. The problem with snow chains on modern vehicles is that the chain at the back of the tyre can interfere with the steering and brakes.
Traction devices usually refer to the Spikes Spider, Maggi Trax type devices that are fitted only on the outside and over the tread of the tyre and as a result do not interfere with any components behind the wheel.
The problem with Evoque is that when fitted with the larger diameter tyres there is not a great deal of clearance between the wheel/tyre and bodywork and even traction devices could rub.
Another solution is to use snow socks, which are now accepted in some European Countries as an alternative to chains/traction devices. Socks fit snugly over the tyre and do not usually interfere with the wheel or brakes. Downside of socks is that they wear out quickly if used on any surface other than snow.

Usual advice for any 4x4 when fitting snow chains or traction devices is either all four wheels or just the fronts.
While a 4 wheel drive vehicle, the Evoque is predominantly a front wheel drive vehicle (distribution of drive between front and rear axle varies from about 90:10 when moving off, to 70:30 at a constant speed and 50:50 in certain conditions) in normal use and therefore it is better to fit traction devices/chains to the front wheels.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 03:22pm by rchrdleigh.)
08-02-2013 01:54pm
AandM1228

Thanks! Yeah, I've had a pair of the snow socks for our last car and they were wonderful. When we were trying to decide which chains to purchase for the Evoque, the snow socks had not been approved for use in Austria. I don't think that has changed?

I think today maybe sunny so we may go out and see just how much clearance there is around the front wheel. When we tested the chains before, we only checked the rear wheels. I would just feel so much more comfortable having them on the front. Since the chains don't actually go around the back of the wheel like normal ones, it may be that they would be ok? Mainly I just didn't know if there was a different reason to put them on the rear wheels like the manual says e.g. because of the transmission or the terrain response system.

09-02-2013 07:27am
rchrdleigh

Can't find your version of the manual on line but having looked at the online manuals for both 2012 and 2013 models they are both quite clear that traction devices can only be fitted to the front wheels of vehicles fitted with 17 inch wheels.

Land Rover approved traction devices may be used to improve traction on a hard road surface in heavy snow conditions. They should not be used in off-road conditions.
If it becomes necessary to fit traction devices, the following points must be observed:
• Only Land Rover approved traction devices should be used on the vehicle. Only Land Rover approved traction devices have been tested to ensure that they do not cause damage to the vehicle. Contact your Land
Rover Dealer/Authorised Repairer for information.
• The wheels and tyres fitted must conform to the specifications of the original equipment.
• Do not fit traction devices to 18, 19 or 20inch diameter wheels.
• Single sided Spike-spyder traction devices or snow chains can be fitted to only the front wheels of vehicles fitted with 17inch diameter wheels.
• Always read, understand and follow the traction device manufacturer's instructions.
• Avoid tyre/vehicle damage, by removing the traction devices as soon as the conditions allow.

Have also checked the information in a Freelander 2 manual and it states the same thing about the use of traction devices. I have a Freelander 2 with 17 inch wheels and tend to carry a set of chains and snow socks to comply with the law but have used neither.

If your current tyres have an M&S rating and a tread depth of more than 4mm then they will be acceptable for use in Austria. You could also have a look at Michelling Easy Grips which are specifically designed for use on vehicles with limited clearance.
09-02-2013 11:10pm
IKM

This maybe of interest? When I was in communication with LR cutomer services several months back regarding downsizing my rims/wheels for winter tyres, they stated that with Adaptive Dynamics only 19" or 20" rims/alloys were suitable (it then took them several weeks to respond). However, many forum members have fitted 18" and even 17" rims/wheels for winter to cars with Adaptive Dynamics with no adverse effect. It could be that LR are also overly cautious about the size of rim/wheels for snow chains and traction devices (in my opinion).

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2013 11:35pm by IKM.)
09-02-2013 11:30pm
AandM1228

Yet another puzzle... The online manual on Topix is completely different than the one inside the car? You are correct, online is says nothing about snow chains (at least that I can see). Also the manual in the car has the US spelling for words (tire vs tyre) etc whereas the online Topix version has the UK spellings??

Oh well. I guess if the need arises I will follow the manual (hard copy) and apply the chains to the rear wheels. Better to be safe than sorry.

In this case, I don't think they are being overly cautious. We went out yesterday, started the car, reversed and turned the wheels to see how much space there was.. I was completely shocked... I could barely get my fingertip in between the tire and the black molding in the wheel arch. I'm guessing if you hit a pothole or anything else when the wheels are turned you could do some damage.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013 08:21am by AandM1228.)
10-02-2013 08:21am
Stadt Panzer

(09-02-2013 11:30pm)IKM Wrote:  This maybe of interest? When I was in communication with LR cutomer services several months back regarding downsizing my rims/wheels for winter tyres, they stated that with Adaptive Dynamics only 19" or 20" rims/alloys were suitable (it then took them several weeks to respond). However, many forum members have fitted 18" and even 17" rims/wheels for winter to cars with Adaptive Dynamics with no adverse effect. It could be that LR are also overly cautious about the size of rim/wheels for snow chains and traction devices (in my opinion).

Strange you say that because I phoned and spoke to the technical department of Land Rover about fitting 18" wheels to cars with Adaptive Dynamics and they said it was fine, even have an email to that effect.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
10-02-2013 10:16am
IKM

(10-02-2013 10:16am)Stadt Panzer Wrote:  Strange you say that because I phoned and spoke to the technical department of Land Rover about fitting 18" wheels to cars with Adaptive Dynamics and they said it was fine, even have an email to that effect.
So much for consistency!

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
10-02-2013 10:26am