Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Smart Key Not Recognised
Donny Dog

Smart Key Not Recognised

I'm sure there's been a thread about this before, but I can't find it under the search criteria I've been using - I'd be happy to be pointed in the right direction!

Anyway, a week or so ago the car wouldn't start with either key, this being only a few minutes after it had been running normally. Nor would the car start with the key placed in the depression under the steering wheel. After a wait of about ten minutes, and trying the key in the emergency-start position [after having retrieved the key, which I let go of only for it to disappeared down the back of the under-dashboard cover! Embarrassed] and trying all the possible combinations of key orientation the car eventually started. What hadn't struck us what that the car was unlocked at this time, and, when we arrived at our destination, it wouldn't lock using either the key-less method or pressing the key-fob button. As a result, we had to lock and leave the car for several days using the emergency key in the deadlock facility in the passenger door (now re-located to the driver's door on later models, I notice).

On our return from a few days away, the car wouldn't start at all. Because it was late at night, we abandoned the effort, and it was then the next day before we could get the emergency key to work. The dealer has since had the car and tells us the problem is the transponder, which they have ordered for delivery next week. In the meantime, we have to use the car in emergency mode, never sure whether it will start next time. The dealer claims that this is a 'new' issue, but I am sure I have read about this problem before. Does anyone else have any experience of this? Is it normal for it to require so many attempts before the emergency key will start the car? How secure is the car if locked using the emergency key in the mechanical lock?
03-10-2014 03:40pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply