Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Small scratches in black powder coated wheels
Dottyflo

Small scratches in black powder coated wheels

Noticed the other day that there's lots of tiny tiny fine scratches all over my black powder coated wheels, almost as if the previous owner as cleaned them with a hard brush ... You can only notice them up close....
As anyone had a similar problem and managed to get them out????
Any guidance would be appreciated, I thought if I'm removing the wheels to paint the callipers I might as well get them looking top notch Very Happy

5 Door Dynamic Plus Pack Fuji White SD4 Auto - Black 20" - Pimento / Leather and a few other extras [Image: 7c0c5974-295b-4c3c-b69e-836452069a3b_zpsx6zsl9ce.png]
29-04-2016 07:22am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pcgeary1973

RE: Small scratches in black powder coated wheels

(29-04-2016 07:22am)Dottyflo Wrote:  Noticed the other day that there's lots of tiny tiny fine scratches all over my black powder coated wheels, almost as if the previous owner as cleaned them with a hard brush ... You can only notice them up close....
As anyone had a similar problem and managed to get them out????
Any guidance would be appreciated, I thought if I'm removing the wheels to paint the callipers I might as well get them looking top notch Very Happy

Actually, if the rims are factory black...they are not powder coated. They are only dipped in paint. I had the same issue only my rims were chipped due to the elements in Buffalo, NY and when I filed a claim with RR USA, I was told I am out of luck as they consider it "normal" and not a defect. There is no replacement paint for the rims. No dealer I went to nor customer service agent I spoke with could find the color code. They tried Volvo black and that did not blend well. I ended up having my rims powder coated which was the best damn decision I made. If the previous owner did powder coat them, you might want to contact a detail shop to find out the best suggestion they have for removing them. Good luck.
29-04-2016 08:21pm
Dottyflo

And I always thought they was powder coated Embarrassed
makes more sence to me now you say they are dipped from the look of the fine line scratches, but I'll double check before I use any compounds just incase they are powered and I end end with glazed wheels Crying
Or the easiest way would be to get them re-done

Thanks bud Thumbs Up

Just sent of for a quote from chipsaway to re-paint the wheels, I'll let you know what price they comeback with as soon as I know

5 Door Dynamic Plus Pack Fuji White SD4 Auto - Black 20" - Pimento / Leather and a few other extras [Image: 7c0c5974-295b-4c3c-b69e-836452069a3b_zpsx6zsl9ce.png]
(This post was last modified: 30-04-2016 07:20am by Dottyflo.)
30-04-2016 06:38am
Pcgeary1973

(30-04-2016 06:38am)Dottyflo Wrote:  And I always thought they was powder coated Embarrassed
makes more sence to me now you say they are dipped from the look of the fine line scratches, but I'll double check before I use any compounds just incase they are powered and I end end with glazed wheels Crying
Or the easiest way would be to get them re-done

Thanks bud Thumbs Up

Just sent of for a quote from chipsaway to re-paint the wheels, I'll let you know what price they comeback with as soon as I know

If I was you, I would get them powder coated. It stands up to the elements a hell of a lot better. Mine are going on 1.5 years and have been through snow, salt, etc and not a single scratch. The cost for me was US $360 for all four. Of course there are going to be additional charges from a tire shop to dismount, remove tire, TPMS/valve stem, and remount etc. Paint just does not hold well and it takes only one single rock to ruin painted rims.
04-05-2016 12:46am
Dottyflo

I make you 100% right Pcgeary .. Been thinking the same thing myself over the last few days, the wheels go thorough a lot of punishment and paint just isn't going to cut it... Powder coat it is Thumbs Up

04-05-2016 06:31am
The Valeter

The previous owner may well have been silly enough to take it through the local hand car wash thinking he/she was getting a good deal.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
09-05-2016 08:57am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dottyflo

Now you mention it valeter it does look like that's what happened ..

09-05-2016 09:44am
The Valeter

(09-05-2016 09:44am)Dottyflo Wrote:  Now you mention it valeter it does look like that's what happened ..

Obviously with what I do I notice these things more than some. You may be amazed at some of the cars I see in these rubbish places & just laugh at the thought they obviously have intelligence to get a job that pays enough to be able to afford such a car but don't have enough common sence to work out that if you go to one of those cheap & nasty foreign hand car washes then ultimately you are causing hundreds of pounds worth of damage to your car.
I frequently see £50K + cars in these places, two recently were a 65 plate Maserati & a 15 plate F Type Jag.

When I look at cars give away signs are the gloss black or chrome style window surrounds etc that have gone all mottled/faded/blotchy then scratched/faded wheels which then start to corrode from the inside of the spokes outwards.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2016 09:28am by The Valeter.)
11-05-2016 09:28am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dottyflo

What would you recommend for removing the scratches Valeter,
or is it a re-spay/powder coat Sad

11-05-2016 05:25pm
The Valeter

(11-05-2016 05:25pm)Dottyflo Wrote:  What would you recommend for removing the scratches Valeter,
or is it a re-spay/powder coat Sad

Depends on how deep the scratches are. Try a paint renovator first for example Autoglym or G3, both of which you can get in Halfords. If this works then polish afterwards. If they are deeper then you may need a scratch remover first, this will give a dulling of the finish but then use the renovator & polish.

11-05-2016 11:43pm