Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Small chunk missing from tire
JonnyA

Small chunk missing from tire

Evening all

No idea how this happened, but I noticed tonight that a small chunk of rubber appears to be missing from the sidewall of my front, driver's side tire. Here's a photo of the damage:

[Image: 23huil2.jpg]

I'm no expert when it comes to tires, but as superficial as it looks I can't imagine that it's going to do any good for the integrity of the tire. I've never come across anything like this before, so to anyone who knows a thing or two about tires, is this just minor damage of no real significance or cause for a new tire?

I'm in no rush to fork out for a replacement, but at the same time I do a lot of motorway milage with my wife and little boy in the car and I value their safety more than a couple of hundred quid.

Gonna take it to a garage tomorrow for a professional opinion, but would appreciate some opinions so I have a better idea about what I'm talking about. Assuming I need to change it, any recommendations on where to go for a replacement? I'm based in Leeds.

Cheers!
28-07-2015 11:10pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

RE: Small chunk missing from tire

I think you are worrying over nothing. The nick is tiny and while you should keep an eye on it, another way to look at it is to ask what strength a piece of rubber that size is going to contribute; the answer is next to none.

Problems which do cause concerns are hernia-like bulges which are a sign of weakness in the structure of the tyre and they should then definitely be replaced.

Many people create invisible damage to their tyres by running them under-inflated. The resulting flexing causes the tyres to heat up which CAN compromise their integrity. So if you want to ensure the safety of your tyres, make sure they are correctly inflated.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
29-07-2015 09:03am
Wife's car

I agree I don't think it's a problem at all, however if concerned take it to a reputable tyre fitter and enquire. On our last Evoque we had a sidewall bulge and had to have the tyre replaced, Pirelli who examined the tyre said there was no manufacturing defect, as you would expect,but could not answer why the sidewall had bulged.
29-07-2015 09:54am
KaDargo

(29-07-2015 09:54am)Wifes car Wrote:  I agree I don't think it's a problem at all, however if concerned take it to a reputable tyre fitter and enquire. On our last Evoque we had a sidewall bulge and had to have the tyre replaced, Pirelli who examined the tyre said there was no manufacturing defect, as you would expect,but could not answer why the sidewall had bulged.

The wife scraped a wheel against a kerb and took a chunk abut 5mm deep by 30mm long from the raised sidewall (Michelin) - no effect on driving whatsoever, passed the MOT no problem (I advised the garage and they said tyre integrity was intact)

SD4 Prestige, Mauritius, Element, Cirrus Headlining, Pana Roof, Park Assist, Heated Steering Wheel,Blind Spot monitor, 20" Alloys, Powered Tailgate
29-07-2015 12:27pm
Steve D

As long as there's no cords exposed its not a problem.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
04-08-2015 02:04pm