Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Si4 or SD4? That is the question
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Was thinking last night about my new car and got to pondering........ would I be better off with my annual mileage (10-11000 miles a year) going for the Si4 rather than the SD4? I've already opted for what I suspect may be a residuals busting colour with Zanzibar with the Tan Plus pack interior (I suspect it won't be everybody's cup of tea until they see one in the flesh) so why not go the whole hog and go for the petrol too? The only difference I can see for me would be increased consumption of cheaper petrol would mean another fuel stop on a long trip to the south, but that isn't a big problem as I tend to drive for 2-2.5hours and then take a break on long trips anyway and I already use off the motorway filling stations to fuel up on long trips (Lancaster and Gaydon on trips to London and Southampton as there are filling stations within a mile of the m'way sliproad). I think I might miss the torque of the Diesel but I won't miss that small delay as it thinks "ah he wants to pull away from stopped now I'd better wake up"

So what are folks views - especially those of Si4 owners in the UK but all views will be read!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 14-12-2013 09:14am by XFullFatTim.)
14-12-2013 09:11am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stadt Panzer

I was asking myself the same thing the other day even though petrol is more expensive here.

But we use the car a lot, trips to Spain etc.

Maybe next time!

Somewhere in the North Sea.
14-12-2013 09:15am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Si4 or SD4? That is the question

I suppose if I extrapolated my "annual" mileage up from the 6 months a year that I am home to drive it then I'm a high mileage driver.................

Is there anyone here who has already taken delivery of a 2014MY Si4?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
14-12-2013 09:19am
cjfp

There is a way around the "ah he wants to pull away from stopped now I'd better wake up" issue

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
14-12-2013 10:06am
MarkA_

The torque of the petrol is still pretty good and it comes in quite early on as well, at least on paper.

Low annual mileage is the reason we are switching back from a petrol. After 4 years In a diesel. I also see simple things like a quieter cabin and more refined sound outside the vehicle good benefits as well.

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
14-12-2013 10:26am
sco77harris

Come on Tim, join team Si4

I think its time to switch back to petrol.
14-12-2013 10:38am
benzina

Doesn't the petrol have that initial delay from stop as well? I seem to remember test driving them both back to back, and remember the petrol had the delay.
Personally, i'd take the superior torque of the diesel every time,as thats the effortless push in back you can feel every time you take off, which in the real world, is something we can still enjoy, without necessarily breaking the speed limits.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 14-12-2013 11:58am by benzina.)
14-12-2013 11:58am
timhum

Based on 11k p.a. fuel cost will be be about £650.00 a year. Your new car is specified to a very high level and so, from that, I guess money isn't much of an issue for you so if petrol takes your fancy go for it. Personally I can't see any advantage in the petrol over diesel in this type of vehicle so a lowly specced diesel which hopefully keeps costs as reasonable as possible is my choice.

Tim
Evoque SD4 Pure Tech, Auto, Orkney, Panoramic roof, dipping and folding mirrors
14-12-2013 12:09pm
PhilSkill

A quick in calculation from my fuel spreadsheet so based on my real world stats

16000 miles of fuel in the SD4 has cost me Exactly £2843.

I achieved 36mpg, if we assume the Si4 gets 29mpg average, that's 1.25 * the fuel so that's £3553

But Petrol is 5% cheaper, so that costs £3383 to buy.

so in 16000 miles the petrol will cost £540 of extra fuel.

Is the servicing of the petrol cheaper, as you can then knock that off the £540.
And no risk of DPF failure costing £1000's

Starting to think I should have got a petrol, since I kept my previous car the mileage I expected hasn't accrued!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
14-12-2013 12:13pm
berlin2011

Had both myself, first one was Si4 in which I did a tad over 30k miles before switching to the SD4 in which I've now done just over 11k miles. MPG and cost aside, I actually find the SD4 a nicer car to drive all round. Sure it's not quite as nippy as the Si4, but just a more relaxed ride, in heavy traffic and motorway cruising I enjoy it more - surprised me a little but if I had to choose now I'd go SD4 again.

Current: SD4 Dynamic Auto, 5 Door, Orkney Grey with Black Contrast Pano roof and 20" Shadow Chrome wheels. Pursuit interior. [countdown="Hand over"]15th June 2013 2:00pm[/countdown]

Gone: Si4 Prestige Auto Coupe, Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof, Element interior, Shadow Chrome 20" wheels with most of the bits & pieces loaded. [countdown="Hand over"]29th November 2011 2:00pm[/countdown]
14-12-2013 12:43pm