Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wintery weather coming so don't forget....
broady43

RE: Wintery weather coming so don't forget....

Dried and put some vaseline on the upper door trims today and noticed quite a lot of the trims rubber missing from last years frosts when the doors were forced open.

5 door Pure sd4 Tech Fuji with black roof, tinted windows, ebony seats, style 4 alloys, xenons, fogs,black grille.
Arrived 29/03/2012.
22-11-2013 10:45pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

This used to happen a lot with both my RRS's and the 2010MY FFRR I had, was always replaced under warranty until a redesigned dual seal was available. With all the time that LR spends Arctic testing you would think that for a couple of nights they might leave their top secret cars out in the cold instead of a heated garage so they could find out if the door seals were going to freeze to the body and tear...............
Maybe LR should design the doors not to curve over the roof line, the barn doors on my Defender have never frozen to the body in 17 years, they "seal" (I use the term loosely as they also let wind in and water when it rains!) against a totally flat surface and are protected by a good old fashioned sticky out gutter that drips rain water onto your legs as you get in and out too............... and into the cabin should you wind down a front (non electric) window.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 23-11-2013 12:40am by XFullFatTim.)
23-11-2013 12:35am
AAA86

(17-11-2013 11:34pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  That if your beloved Evoque lives outside at night to set the Winter Wiper Parking setting on the menu and to set the wiper stalk switch back back to manual activation from "auto-on" mode if you want to preserve your wiper blades before you tuck the car up each night. You also have the MAX switch on the fan controls on UK cars that will switch on the front and rear screen de-icers and put the cabin heater to full belt too to aid defrosting without resorting to plastic scrapers. Just one non-official precaution to prevent damage to the door seals that can freeze onto the body (I know they shouldn't but they do after wet weather then a frost) a light coating of Vaseline or even better waterproof silicone grease used on sail boats on the rubbers will stop them freezing to the door/body.

Top up the washer bottle with neat low temperature screen additive/wash will also help keep the water flowing to the washer nozzles first thing on a frosty morning.

Thank you very much for your tips, but I have a couple of questions, since I am still a fairly new owner for the Evoque Smile
1- Winter Wiper Parking setting on the menu- when you set that up the wipers goes up a little and stays in the middle of the windshield, but it wont go back to the original place when you drive the next morning, so does that mean that you have to set it on and off everyday kind of thing?
2-MAX switch on the fan controls: i read about it and it does the same thing here as well, in Canada, but i didnt try it yet, so if i turn it on at night it will turn on in the morning automatically?
3- does the car has a remote start for the cold winters? Because of it does then all that makes sense?!
4- I would really appreciate if you can take a pic of the door seals you are talking about, i would really appreciate it!
10-12-2013 07:44pm
Red FR

I can also recommend using Autoglym trim and rubber treatment, used successfully on Scirroco and Mini Cooper S that had windows without surrounds and dropped small amount when opening. just put onto a cloth and smear on to rubber seals.

Gone but not forgotten Fuji White Coupe Pure Tech SD4 manual, Panoramic roof, privacy glass, fog lamps and spare wheel.
10-12-2013 08:26pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

AAA - yes you have to reset them back down every morning, the reason for parking the there is they will be in the middle of the front screen heating elements so as you use the rapid de-froster the wipers get de-frosted then you have to reset until the next time.

The max setting has to be re-set after the car has been locked - most of the electric get de-energised when you lock the car and LR hasn't that technically advanced that you can leave some items set at switch off!

Remote start - in the UK market no there is no timed/ remote start on Evoque BUT it may be an option in other cold climate markets - IIRC Scandinavian market cars get some sort of engine block heater

Door seals, these are the seals that contact with the body at the door aperture - best to lubricate the whole lot. For the time being I cannot get photos as I don't have an Evoque to hand to photograph having sold mine and waiting for the new one to be delivered.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
11-12-2013 07:41am
PhilSkill

With "Max" which is a great feature in the morning, I find you get in, you start it, you press MAX and within 10 minutes you turn Max off as it's too much and everything is clear.

The door seals that are the main problem are the thin strip at the very very top of the door that touches the roofline. Don't worry first frozen morning you'll know which need some lubricant added!

As for Winter wipe, I only select in the snowy weather and tend to just leave them set. There is a video of mine on here somewhere with them set when driving in snow.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
11-12-2013 11:15am
speary

(21-11-2013 08:30pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  5 litre cans of extra strength windscreen wash fluid is on discount at Halfords at the moment

The 5 litre concentrate was on offer last weekend at £4.99. It was cheaper than the ready mixed

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
12-12-2013 02:18pm
BFGEvoqueMan

(12-12-2013 02:18pm)speary Wrote:  The 5 litre concentrate was on offer last weekend at £4.99. It was cheaper than the ready mixed

Was this the winter mix I saw in Halford last week that went to -10c?

Winter mix in Germany means -30c (min) or more likely -60c (got to think about wind chill driving along etc)....5 litres normally about €5 for an own brand.

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
12-12-2013 08:26pm
speary

(12-12-2013 08:26pm)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  Was this the winter mix I saw in Halford last week that went to -10c?

Winter mix in Germany means -30c (min) or more likely -60c (got to think about wind chill driving along etc)....5 litres normally about €5 for an own brand.

I think it is. so put in neat it will protect to -10. I usually do about 40% fluid to 60% water and they rarely freeze

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
13-12-2013 03:24pm
AAA86

(11-12-2013 07:41am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  AAA - yes you have to reset them back down every morning, the reason for parking the there is they will be in the middle of the front screen heating elements so as you use the rapid de-froster the wipers get de-frosted then you have to reset until the next time.

The max setting has to be re-set after the car has been locked - most of the electric get de-energised when you lock the car and LR hasn't that technically advanced that you can leave some items set at switch off!

Remote start - in the UK market no there is no timed/ remote start on Evoque BUT it may be an option in other cold climate markets - IIRC Scandinavian market cars get some sort of engine block heater

Door seals, these are the seals that contact with the body at the door aperture - best to lubricate the whole lot. For the time being I cannot get photos as I don't have an Evoque to hand to photograph having sold mine and waiting for the new one to be delivered.

Thank you very much for your feedback! It was great. We just had our first winter storm, in Nova Scotia and all your tips and electronic worked like a charm! I took around 10 min for the max defrost to get the whole car nice a clear after 20 cm snow dump, ( i removed what ever i could first), it was great! I even installed winter tires on my current rims ( Blizzak ) and they were very good.

(11-12-2013 11:15am)PhilSkill Wrote:  The door seals that are the main problem are the thin strip at the very very top of the door that touches the roofline. Don't worry first frozen morning you'll know which need some lubricant added!

There was a frosty morning about 2 days ago and i figured exactly where to apply the lubricant, so I went out and Bought some Vaseline and applied it around all the door seals. The next i had no problems, other than my fiancé making fun of me for going out and buying butter coconut vaseline for the car, haha! At least it smelled good for the first night [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
(This post was last modified: 16-12-2013 12:44pm by AAA86.)
16-12-2013 12:37pm