Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should I replace the tyre due to this side cut?
hoangong

Should I replace the tyre due to this side cut?

as in the photo http://imgur.com/a/Gexjs Thanks.
(This post was last modified: 19-02-2017 03:37pm by hoangong.)
19-02-2017 03:22pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Steve D

RE: Should I replace the tyre due to this side cut?

Well, there's no cords showing so it's not an MOT failure. It's up to you as to whether you can live with it.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
19-02-2017 08:47pm
Stadt Panzer

I would but then in Germany I can drive as fast as the car can go on the motorways Smile

Somewhere in the North Sea.
19-02-2017 09:26pm
hoangong

Thanks. I can live with it. However, my friend told me I would fail MOT check. so I'm not sure whether I fix it before MOT test. From what I have heard so far 50/50 Very Happy
20-02-2017 12:32am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

If you transport a wife and children and maybe the family pet in the car...................... would it not be prudent to change it if you are in doubt? Unfortunately I cannot view the photo without downloading the app.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 20-02-2017 09:19am by XFullFatTim.)
20-02-2017 09:16am
fodo8

Change it ... one day youll call on them to save your life.... especially if you carry your loved ones in it
20-02-2017 10:12am
PhilSkill

It looks like an MOT fail to me and therefore a risk. Get it checked don't ignore it, especially if you use fast roads a lot.

Some MOT recommendations from MOT.net

Tyre sidewall
The side wall of your tyre is a vital part of the tyres structure. You should check your tyres sidewall condition periodically. Damage to the side wall of the tyre is the most common cause of tyre blowouts. If you find any damage in your sidewall you should have it checked out as soon as possible. Generally speaking any minor cut that extends for 25mm or more is not safe, as is any serious cut of any size. If in any doubt have it checked by a tyre centre or competent mechanic.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
20-02-2017 10:21am
Steve D

(20-02-2017 10:21am)PhilSkill Wrote:  It looks like an MOT fail to me and therefore a risk. Get it checked don't ignore it, especially if you use fast roads a lot.

Some MOT recommendations from MOT.net

Tyre sidewall
The side wall of your tyre is a vital part of the tyres structure. You should check your tyres sidewall condition periodically. Damage to the side wall of the tyre is the most common cause of tyre blowouts. If you find any damage in your sidewall you should have it checked out as soon as possible. Generally speaking any minor cut that extends for 25mm or more is not safe, as is any serious cut of any size. If in any doubt have it checked by a tyre centre or competent mechanic.

Phil. I'm an MOT tester. Believe me, that's not a fail. A tester would pick up serious points if they failed that tyre and the owner appealed the decision. Forget MOT.net - this is where you should be looking and a car can ONLY be failed for the reasons A-F in the RfR column. https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/d...000105.htm

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 20-02-2017 10:51am by Steve D.)
20-02-2017 10:45am
PhilSkill

That's good thanks Steve, I've had a tyre damaged similar to this, but it subsequently Bulged which will be why it failed.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
20-02-2017 11:03am
jeffersj

As above, the tyres are the only contact with the road and not worth compromising your life for the sake of a few hundred quid. Don't think it would be repairable though.

Jeff

Member of Defender2 and Disco3/4 forums, currently driving a 90 300tdi and the Evoque Dynamic which is really my wife's car.
20-02-2017 03:10pm