Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Shadow Chrome Wheel Corrosion
m_101

Shadow Chrome Wheel Corrosion

So my car's warranty ends in 3 days according to TOPIx. Although my dealer appeared to think it ended on 17th April.
I was giving it a wash today and have noticed several tiny (under 5mm) corrosion spots - they're present on all four wheels.
I have shadow chrome alloys - one has a stone chip damage however the corrosion isn't actually in the same spot as the stone chip.
I'm just wondering if anyone else on here has had a similar problem or if there's any known issues with shadow chromes.
Problem is if one is replaced then it would need to be an exact colour match with the others as it would look awful if this wasn't the case. Also multiple wheels affected (3 I think but will need to have a closer look in proper daylight) but only tiny defects - but likely to worsen if left alone.
I've PM'd Pete@LR and I'm going to call the dealers tomorrow as it's due to go in for a couple of rattles which they didn't manage to sort during April as I was informed the car was ready before it actually was and I need a car for work (not the dealership's fault).
Any other advice anyone?

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
12-05-2015 10:14pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RichardW66

RE: Shadow Chrome Wheel Corrosion

Before you complain to loudly Land Rover, you should possibly consider that the culprit is the wheel cleaner that you may have used on the wheels, that is the most likely cause of the corrosion.

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Fuji White ~ Ebony Leather ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Xenons with LED Signature ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Electric Heated Powerfold Mirrors ~ Auto-Dimming Mirror ~ Privacy Glass ~ Front Fog Lights ~ 20" Style 6 Wheels M+S Tyres ~ Twin Exhaust Pipes (like the SD4)
Ordered: 07/03/12 ~ Behind the wheel: 22/11/12
13-05-2015 10:48am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kojak

I have had a single alloy repaired on a previous BMW I owned and to be fair, I thought for a few weeks that it was a different shade or simply looked too new in comparison to the other wheels especially noticeable on the same side of the car.
But after a couple of washes it seemed to have settled down to an extent where even when freshly cleaned any difference was undetectable.
Though it sounds like you should push for all four if the issues on the other 3 are covered by warranty.

OUT - Pure SD4, Orkney Grey, 5 dr, Manual, Fogs, Xenons, Auto dim mirror, Auto lights / wipers, Power fold mirrors, spare wheel.
IN - Dynamic SD4, Indus Silver, 5 dr, Auto, Heated Steering Wheel, Auto Dim mirror, Spare wheel.
(This post was last modified: 13-05-2015 07:40pm by Kojak.)
13-05-2015 05:18pm
Stevemac1

I had this on my offside rear wheel, replaced under warranty after dealer sent pictures to LR. Just the one though, the other 3 are fine.... for now.
No issues with colour mis-matching as far as I can see.

Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe - Santorini black, 20" shadow cromes, privacy glass, pano roof. Cool complete with creaky tailgate and many rattles Mad
13-05-2015 06:46pm
PhilSkill

I noticed the Backs of one set of mine had all slight corroded spots, so quickly ensured I treated them while off for the summer to stop any further spread, nothing on the front faces though. My other set were treated with gTechniq C5 front and insides, no corrosion on them! But then they havent been through a winter with snow and salt either!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
13-05-2015 09:53pm
Devonian

(12-05-2015 10:14pm)m_101 Wrote:  So my car's warranty ends in 3 days according to TOPIx. Although my dealer appeared to think it ended on 17th April.
I was giving it a wash today and have noticed several tiny (under 5mm) corrosion spots - they're present on all four wheels.
I have shadow chrome alloys - one has a stone chip damage however the corrosion isn't actually in the same spot as the stone chip.
I'm just wondering if anyone else on here has had a similar problem or if there's any known issues with shadow chromes.
Problem is if one is replaced then it would need to be an exact colour match with the others as it would look awful if this wasn't the case. Also multiple wheels affected (3 I think but will need to have a closer look in proper daylight) but only tiny defects - but likely to worsen if left alone.
I've PM'd Pete@LR and I'm going to call the dealers tomorrow as it's due to go in for a couple of rattles which they didn't manage to sort during April as I was informed the car was ready before it actually was and I need a car for work (not the dealership's fault).
Any other advice anyone?

Hi

I had all four of mine replaced under warranty as the finish was bubbling up on them. On my previous Evoque. Mine were shadows as well.

2012-2014: Dynamic SD4 Auto Lux Coupe. Santorini Black, Style 7 20" Shadow wheels, Privacy Glass, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam Assist, Solar Attenuating Glass and black Dynamic Plus pack. Sold back to Land Rover due to many build quality issues.
On order: Corris Grey Dynamic SD4 5 door, black contrast pan roof, blind spot indicators, Intelligence Pack, Head Up Display, Solar Glass, 825W Stereo and powered tailgate.
13-05-2015 10:09pm
m_101

To be honest I used normal car soap and a soft halfords brush on the wheels, it works pretty well as they get cleaned like that once a month and powerwashed every 2 weeks so don't let too much brake dust collect on them.
I don't really like wheel cleaners as I once used wonder wheels on an old car a few days ago and got dermatitis with it (stupidly didn't use gloves at the time).
I've not managed to inform the dealers yet but will forward through some photos on Monday. I had told pete at LRCS before warranty ran out so would hope that will count as reporting it within warranty period.

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
15-05-2015 09:11pm
brianthedog

Hi m_101,

Is this like the corrosion on your wheels?

I have it on two, maybe three of mine.

Fortunately I still have a couple of months of warranty left. The dealer sent the photos to LR and they may be replaced.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr in Orkney with Ebony, Black Contrast roof
Pan Roof, Premium interior pack, Park Assist, Shadow Chrome Wheels, Roof Rails
04-11-2015 12:44pm
tattoobob26

I had 3 of mine doing it but worse than them on the pics and my 3 years warranty was up but the dealers who also have a body shop offered to refurbishment them Foc.
So when it was in I got them painted black.

Current.
My 14 Fuji White Dynamic 9 speed auto with Black pack and pano roof.
Gone.
MY 12 Fuji White prestige auto.
2001 Black FFRR P38 Dse auto.
1990 Firenze Red Discovery 1.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2015 04:44pm by tattoobob26.)
04-11-2015 04:33pm
benzina

No corrosion on my shadow chromes anywhere,including where there is no paint from small curb scuffs, and had my car for over 3 years.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
05-11-2015 01:53am