Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Just placed my order - Dynamic 5dr Si4 Orkney Grey
simonc

Just placed my order - Dynamic 5dr Si4 Orkney Grey

Having put down a deposit after taking a test drive the other week I've now let my dealer (Hunters Southampton) know what I'm wanting to go for....

Dynamic 5dr Si4
Orkney Grey with Narvik Black Panoramic roof
Style 7 (shadow chrome) wheels
Pursuit interior with Ivory headlining
Keyless entry
Spare wheel

Decided I wasn't really too convinced by the Pursuit interior so I have decided to play it safe with the vortex instead. Edit: And now decided after seeing a few more pictures and videos that I do prefer the Pursuit afterall!

I still need to have a test drive in an Si4 to be absolutely sure I want to go for that rather than the SD4 (which is what I test drove, and although nice it did make me think I might appreciate a bit m[/i]ore vavavoom). I can still change my order to an SD4 if I decide the performance difference isn't big enough to justify the hike in price, but from what I've read quite a few people have switched to an Si4 after driving one so I suspect it is the one I'll be going gor anyway.

Just need to wait to hear back what my anticipated build/delivery will be now (they reckoned around March when I put the deposit down).

Dynamic Si4 5dr Orkney Grey, Black Pano, Vortex + Ebony, Keyless Entry, Spare Wheel
Collected 12th March 2012
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2011 02:16pm by simonc.)
27-09-2011 07:22pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DynamicRRV

RE: Just placed my order - Dynamic 5dr Si4 Orkney Grey

Si4 is the choice of the few......but the few will smile as the right foot moves downwards & the smiles will continue with the sound of the exhaust in the background!
28-09-2011 01:16pm
Spiderman

I have now driven the Si4 twice over lengthy test drives & have found they suffer an initial turbo lag when the accelerator pedal is 1st pressed, this lasts for circa 1-2 secs depending on whether you're starting off or your foots down for attack acceleration from say 40 or 50, when it then also hunts for the best gear...IMHO the SD4 engine is still the better of two!

Another thing I noted that I found interesting is that whilst the Si4 is the quicker of the two to 60mph, once you are above it the SD4 pulls & pulls & pulls way better, obviously that's the greater torque at work, 420Nm v 320Nm & given there will be remaps aplenty for the SD4 engine I think overall it's the better proposition; equal if not better performance in real life, improved mpg, less CO2 & cheaper road tax...win, win, win, win!

Albeit, one plus for the Si4 engine is that it's lighter so it does turn in swifter & feels more agile, but for me this would be at a cost of overall driver enjoyment....

As a drivers driver & one was races also, I never ever, ever, thought I'd prefer a diesel over a petrol in my lifetime....but, I do in this car, it's a phenomenal achievement!

Naturally, you need to try both engines back to back & make up your own mind, I did twice & have gone for 3x SD4 models....

P.S. I saw the pursuit interior yesterday & it was stunning, it would definitely work well in your OG spec'd car & give the interior a very nice subtle contrast too....remember if you order the pursuit to leave the headlining as Ivory to match its perforated leather Very Happy

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
28-09-2011 02:55pm
DynamicRRV

Another plus for the si4 is it does not sound like a combine harvester!! Lol 
(This post was last modified: 28-09-2011 03:06pm by DynamicRRV.)
28-09-2011 03:06pm
Spiderman

(28-09-2011 03:06pm)DynamicRRV Wrote:  Another plus for the si4 is it does not sound like a combine harvester!! Lol 

The SD4 is very quiet inside, quite refined for a combine, when you push on it has a 'nice' note also....from inside only I add, however the fact remains it is also a much more rewarding car to own IMHO.

I do not say this lightly, as Petrol is my engine of choice & a naturally aspirated one at that, but, I am suitably experienced to know & feel the real, & at times very minute, differences between various models from the same range, hence I opt for the SD4 & will await a suitable remap that will make this great car, even greater!!!

(This post was last modified: 28-09-2011 03:39pm by Spiderman.)
28-09-2011 03:39pm
SW6RR

Spiderman, engine choice is extremely personal and somewhat of a hot topic. From a selfish point of view (as an expectant SD4 owner) I am seriously enjoying your work on here.

Also plan to investigate the remap option. I wonder who the first to visit Pete will be...

Arrived (5/11/11): SD4 5-door "Presnamic" Lux Very Happy Auto, Fuji, Spirit/Tan, Style 8 20" Wheels, fully loaded (bar RSE, smoker's pack and Homelink)
28-09-2011 03:43pm
DynamicRRV

Spiderman....I appreciate your opinion and I only jest in reply.I too am experienced enough to realise eveyrone has there own opinion,if we were all the same how boring life would be.

Cheers mate.Smile
Spiderman....I appreciate your opinion and I only jest in reply.I too am experienced enough to realise eveyrone has there own opinion,if we were all the same how boring life would be.

Cheers mate.Smile
(This post was last modified: 28-09-2011 03:49pm by DynamicRRV.)
28-09-2011 03:49pm
simonc

Thanks for the replies, both with regard to the Si4 vs SD4 and the Pursuit interior too. Naturally as soon as I had emailed through my provisional order I saw a video review which featured the pursuit interior and I was immediately questioning my decision to opt for vortex! I agree that the ivory headlining would make more sense with the pursuit so it would also save a few pounds too - I'm already thinking of adjusting the order accordingly.

It looks like I've managed to sort a test drive in an Si4 at the weekend with Westover Salisbury so I'll hopefully be able to make a firm decision on my engine after that and decide whether to change both interior and engine or just interior.

Dynamic Si4 5dr Orkney Grey, Black Pano, Vortex + Ebony, Keyless Entry, Spare Wheel
28-09-2011 04:13pm
Spiderman

[quote='SW6RR' pid='14736' dateline='1317221018']
Spiderman, engine choice is extremely personal and somewhat of a hot topic. From a selfish point of view (as an expectant SD4 owner) I am seriously enjoying your work on here.

Also plan to investigate the remap option. I wonder who the first to visit Pete will be...
[/quote]

Superchips provide a suitable remap for the FL2 engine, so it may be a match for our SD4 also & having used 2 of their remaps prior in a RRS TDv8 & Disco3 they were amazing, so much more responsive and at least 40% more Torque & 20% BHP for a mere £400....what makes their remap doable is that they run a side by side 12 month warranty for your Engine/Gearbox next to LRs standard one, just incase LR reject any claim....be mindful that it lasts 12 months only, which could leave you a tad exposed if you are holding on to your Evoques for longer!
[quote='DynamicRRV' pid='14738' dateline='1317221389']

Cheers mate.Smile

Everyone has their own opinion & the great benefit of a forum is we can share experiences with each other to form our own on Very Happy

I was gutted with a capital G that the Si4 was just so so as having owned a 2008 FFRR 4.2 s/c which also did 0-60mph in circa 7 secs I was expecting the same power delivery & responsiveness, however, different engines aside I found it was lacking its gusto with a capital L, but I am sure those coming from lessor or similar engine sizes may very well be impressed...

But, that's just my experienced opinion Very Happy

(This post was last modified: 28-09-2011 06:24pm by Spiderman.)
28-09-2011 06:15pm
simonc

Well I got to take an Si4 for a test drive today and have to say I much preferred it to the diesel. I didn't notice any particularly bad turbo lag - just a slight delay as it changed down a gear if I floored it, but could easily allow for that by switching down with the paddles beforehand. Tried out a bit of S mode vs D mode and could certainly notice a difference there. The test drive was with Westover Salisbury (nearest place I could find with an Si4 to drive), and as I didn't know the area particularly well I basically stuck to an A road as I was most interested in its acceleration compared with the diesel.

The main thing that struck me was how effortless it was to get up to the speed I wanted, even from cruising at 30 to get up to 60 for example - the SD4 didn't have quite the same gusto. With the elevated driving position (compared with my current CLK) it was very easy to go a bit faster than I thought I was going though - will have to remember to keep a close eye on the speedo when I first get it till I'm used to it!

The road surface I was on was a bit too good and not particularly twisty so I didn't get to fully gauge the dynamic vs standard settings for the AD, but I got a fair idea from that on my original test drive in an SD4.

So overall very happy with the Si4 and I'll be keeping my order as such. I've had a change of heart on the interior though - I've decided that the all black Vortex was just a little bit too bland so think I will be going for the Pursuit instead (with Ivory headlining to complement the Ivory in the Pursuit trim).

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2011 02:36pm by simonc.)
01-10-2011 02:30pm