Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Scratch On Inside Door Plastic
stef.c

Scratch On Inside Door Plastic

Are you able to remove light marks/scratches on this plastic using some method? I've tried buffing it off with a damp cloth but to no avail.

The scratch is about 8 inches long on the bottom of the inside drivers door and only shows up if the light catches it.

Arrived: Range Rover Evoque Prestige SD4 5 door in Fuji White & Vibe Interior. Extras: Lux Pack, Adaptive Dynamics, Rear Entertainment, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Ebony Headlining, Adaptive Xenon, Hi Beam Asssist, Privacy Glass, Homelink, Heated Steering.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2012 12:29pm by stef.c.)
04-04-2012 12:18pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Donny Dog

RE: Scratch On Inside Door Plastic

(04-04-2012 12:18pm)stef.c Wrote:  Are you able to remove light marks/scratches on this plastic using some method? I've tried buffing it off with a damp cloth but to no avail.

The scratch is about 8 inches long on the bottom of the inside drivers door and only shows up if the light catches it.

You've given up on having the panel replaced, then! Laughing

Try some Cif, which cleans as well as having a slight abrasive effect. If that doesn't work, try a light rubbing compound such as G3. In the limit, you could try a very small piece of wet & dry (suitably wetted) applied just along the scratch with the paper folded so as to offer the correct shape to the damage (actually easier to do than describe). Somewhere between catching the light with a sharp edged cut and levelling it out without doing too much abrasion, you might just find an acceptable compromise.
04-04-2012 02:13pm
stef.c

(04-04-2012 02:13pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  You've given up on having the panel replaced, then! Laughing

Try some Cif, which cleans as well as having a slight abrasive effect. If that doesn't work, try a light rubbing compound such as G3. In the limit, you could try a very small piece of wet & dry (suitably wetted) applied just along the scratch with the paper folded so as to offer the correct shape to the damage (actually easier to do than describe). Somewhere between catching the light with a sharp edged cut and levelling it out without doing too much abrasion, you might just find an acceptable compromise.

Haha yeah I just want to know what my options are really!

Thanks for the tips I might give that a little go.

Not sure if you've seen my other thread but how feasible is it to remove small scratches from the aluminium panel?

Arrived: Range Rover Evoque Prestige SD4 5 door in Fuji White & Vibe Interior. Extras: Lux Pack, Adaptive Dynamics, Rear Entertainment, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Ebony Headlining, Adaptive Xenon, Hi Beam Asssist, Privacy Glass, Homelink, Heated Steering.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2012 03:14pm by stef.c.)
04-04-2012 03:13pm
Donny Dog

(04-04-2012 03:13pm)stef.c Wrote:  Not sure if you've seen my other thread but how feasible is it to remove small scratches from the aluminium panel?

Without seeing the scratch it's hard to judge, but you'd have to be very careful on that surface as any change to the surface 'patina' would be noticeable. Very light Cif-type abrasion is as hard as I'd go if the scratch were sufficiently annoying, but, even then, only after I'd had a more vigorous rub with the same system on an unseen part of the centre console aluminium trim and then shone lights on it at various angles to see if there'd been any change to the appearance. Also, you'd have to follow the 'grain' of the brushing very carefully, as any scratches in another direction would ruin it. Whilst adhering to all those cautionary points, you may well not be able to remove the scratch with an approach sufficiently delicate not to spoil the surface. In other words, when you've discovered how hard you dare rub/abrade, that may not be enough if the scratch is too deep. Sorry for the long answer, but a final thought - if you make a mess of it, you probably wouldn't then be able to pursue your dealer to replace it.
04-04-2012 07:26pm