Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Scraping noise
Nowaytk

RE: Scraping noise

Just an update;
The dealer changed the front strut which at the time made no difference, so the next step was to record the noise & send off to LR.
But this morning it was taken out to get more info only to find that it no longer makes the noise!
Can only think that when the strut was done it maybe needed some settling in time?
Still fingers crossed its now cured the problem.
Nice to get it back though, it's surprising, even though it's only been a couple of days you realise how much you miss those little touches like just pulling the door handle to get in & pushing a button, the rear cam for when I reverse into the drive & how much the pano roof makes it so light & spacious inside, now one happy bunny Smile

evoque now gone, but not forgotten, on to bigger and better things
04-05-2012 03:07pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

just to 'bump' this thread....
there is a new service bulletin out:
"SSM57057 - RR Evoque front suspension click/tick - repair procedure "

Might be worth pointing your dealer to have a look at that.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
17-05-2012 07:15am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
speary

Many suspension struts have a protective plastic sleeve which could be rubbing if out of allignment
Cant beleive that the dealer would swap out a full strut without checking that first, but then again Very HappyVery Happy

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
17-05-2012 08:20am
evQ

(02-05-2012 04:41pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  When you get this noise is the steering on full lock too?

Can you elaborate? i am not sure what is meant by steering on full lock.
Also FYI, the double grind half a second apart happens on flat road right after I speed up to around 15 mph. (Only happens after starting engine if it was off)

--Doesn't happened for example if I am driving around, stopping at a stop light to speeding up to 15 mph,
--doesn't happen around bumps or downhill or any other surface or any other speed.

i.e. only happen from the initial start ups to right about when the sped reaches 15mph.

A quick Analogy would be the automatic door lock.
Only locks the door when you reach a certain speed and once locked it never happens again.
(This post was last modified: 17-05-2012 02:35pm by evQ.)
17-05-2012 02:34pm
Donny Dog

(17-05-2012 02:34pm)evQ Wrote:  Can you elaborate? i am not sure what is meant by steering on full lock.

As George Bernard Shaw said, "England and America are two countries separated by a common language"! Laughing

It's British English for 'turned as far as it will go'.
17-05-2012 04:48pm
meental

No we say full lock too, well maybe not all of us Smile
17-05-2012 05:06pm
riyarobin

In your brake pads there is a built in "warning" that your pads are wearing too low. This makes the sound you are describing… If you keep driving can cause damage to the rotor (or disc) from the scraping of the worn pads..
06-02-2014 04:28pm
wal20

I've had my Evoque for exactly a week and I've experienced the noise as I passed over a speed bump at a little faster than a crawl. Unlikely that it's the "worn brake" warning.
Another noise I've heard occurred as I rounded the curve of a cloverleaf highway on-ramp. It lasted but a second ending before I had pulled out of the turn. This sound had a ratchet sound, rather loud, coming from the rear of the car as if something had broken loose and was sliding across reinforcing ribs of a metal surface.
I wonder if it's the not-so-subtle sound of self-adjusting suspension. The speed bump is an instant - time for one "click". A curve has a longer duration and perhaps requires more adjustment and, hence, the ratchet.
12-02-2014 12:34am
speary

(12-02-2014 12:34am)wal20 Wrote:  I've had my Evoque for exactly a week and I've experienced the noise as I passed over a speed bump at a little faster than a crawl. Unlikely that it's the "worn brake" warning.
Another noise I've heard occurred as I rounded the curve of a cloverleaf highway on-ramp. It lasted but a second ending before I had pulled out of the turn. This sound had a ratchet sound, rather loud, coming from the rear of the car as if something had broken loose and was sliding across reinforcing ribs of a metal surface.
I wonder if it's the not-so-subtle sound of self-adjusting suspension. The speed bump is an instant - time for one "click". A curve has a longer duration and perhaps requires more adjustment and, hence, the ratchet.

Unlikely

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
13-02-2014 09:56am
PhilSkill

Adaptive dampers are silent, they work by Magnetic field. Mine makes a bit of a creak over speed bumps if at a little speed, so do my other 2 cars, don't think it's totally abnormal, Some people have had the roll bar bushes lubricated or even replaced.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
13-02-2014 11:05pm