Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Saving your wiper blades on frosty mornings
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Saving your wiper blades on frosty mornings

To preserve the life of your wiper blades when the temperatures fall below freezing make sure if your car is parked outside, that the night before you switch off the wiper auto-on function. Frost on the sensor at the top of the screen cannot be differentiated from dirt/rain by the sensor so as soon as you press the starter button the wipers try to clear the screen........................... leading to torn blades. It also takes the front screen heater 30secs to clear frosted glass so even if you switch on the screen heater the rubbers will remain frozen onto the screen for that long.
The other option is to move to somewhere warm and sunny............................. where you will never need a heated front screen, but then you usually find there are other weather problems like forest fires and cyclones Rolling Eyes

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 29-11-2011 08:05am by XFullFatTim.)
29-11-2011 07:21am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xxxx5

RE: Saving your wiper blades on frosty mornings

Welcome back Tim! The forum has been missing you!

Now Sold: 5dr Pure SD4 Man / Fuji White / Pano Roof / Tech Park / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Xenons / Black H'lining / Power Fold Door Mirrors / Power Tailgate / Carpet Mats / Front Fogs.
29-11-2011 07:58am
3VOQU3

or alternatively move to Australia..

(cyclone's are up North, we get the fires.. lol) but you will never have frost on your windows Wink
(This post was last modified: 29-11-2011 08:47am by 3VOQU3.)
29-11-2011 08:46am
RacingSnake

And if there is snow, and not frost, you can engage the 'snow park' feature on the wipers too. Smile
29-11-2011 09:38am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LDT

Great tip, thanks! I am impressed that the front screen heater will only take around 30 secs to defrost the glass!

Prestige SD4 Auto, Ipanema/Ambience, Style 4 Wheels, Pan Roof, Privacy, Dimming Mirror, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps.
[Image: 116286.png]
29-11-2011 10:29am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I cannot wait to see how good this clever PTC heater is on a frosty morning too, as in theory the engine can still be frozen cold but the heater should start giving out hot air immediately you start up as it is a electric ceramic element and not coolant powered or diesel powered one like all the old tech Range Rovers have

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 29-11-2011 11:00am by XFullFatTim.)
29-11-2011 10:59am
Evo-king

(29-11-2011 10:59am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I cannot wait to see how good this clever PTC heater is on a frosty morning too, as in theory the engine can still be frozen cold but the heater should start giving out hot air immediately you start up as it is a electric ceramic element and not coolant powered or diesel powered one like all the old tech Range Rovers have

This is really interesting, so let me see, firstly the Evoque has heating element in the windscreen (on certain models), plus it has snow park for the wipers and now I hear it has an independent electric heater for the demist.

Well done Land Rover.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
29-11-2011 11:12am
LDT

I have not heard of snow park - I will take a look at the manual to establish if standard on a Prestige.

Prestige SD4 Auto, Ipanema/Ambience, Style 4 Wheels, Pan Roof, Privacy, Dimming Mirror, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps.
29-11-2011 12:02pm
RacingSnake

it is.
it positions the wipers a couple of inches up from the bottom of the screen.
29-11-2011 12:03pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LDT

Thanks, that's helpful and good news. No doubt there are many other features/toys I am unaware of which is why this forum is so interesting.

29-11-2011 12:06pm