Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Satnav apps for iPad
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Satnav apps for iPad

Now that I am Evoque-less I am using my Defender for everyday transport and there is no satnav system in it. I'm off on a long trip and going to places I have never visited before and wondered if buying the TomTom app for my iPad was worth the £27.50 they want for it on the AppStore? Anybody had any experience of the app - seems to get great reviews until they made an update this spring when there seem to be a lot of angry/ unimpressed customers. Honest opinions would be welcome. Please this is about the APP, not the regular stick it on the screen Tom Tom device.
Your opinion of other navigation apps would be appreciated too.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2014 06:39am by XFullFatTim.)
07-03-2014 06:38am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Barton Evoque

RE: Satnav apps for iPad

I use copilot on my iPad and iPhone very good,better than tomtom.

Evoque My13 TD4 Pure.Orkney Grey with Tech Pack~Spare Wheel~Front Fogs~Privacy Glass~Ebony Interior~Mudflaps~Evoque Footrest~DVD Headrests~Towtrust Towbar.Collected 17th Sept. Very Happy
Also nicely modded Audi TT Roadster.
07-03-2014 06:56am
speary

I use to TomTom Western Europe on my iPhone and I think it is streets ahead (pun intended) of any built in system. The traffic subscription is so accurate that it will even show a queue of traffic at roundabouts etc. I also get free updates (£160 for the LR system I believe)
On the Evoque it sits nicely on the lip of the dashboard just to the left of the centre air vents. Not sure where you would locate an iPad though
The only drawback I have found is that if you have Bluetooth enabled and your device paired with the car you need to do the following
Press music then music+
Select your i device and disconnect it (this only disconnects audio streaming, not the phone)
Go back to the main media menu and re select your chosen audio source
This sends the TomTom audio through the i device
You need to do this every time you connect the i device for TomTom. You soon get used to it

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
07-03-2014 09:17am
Crabacle

I have the tomtom app as a backup for other cars. I think that it's excellent.
07-03-2014 09:23am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
m_101

If you're looking for a free alternative which admittedly isn't as good but is free, then try the NAVFREE GPS options. Ok so there isn't the same traffic info but it's still not at all bad for a free app and stores all the data on the iPhone / iPad, and is relatively up to date.
I have the Spain version for whenever we go across there as well.

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2014 09:39am by m_101.)
07-03-2014 09:38am
Alflavor

Satnav apps for iPad

Try Waze
08-03-2014 09:30am
MrNoo

(07-03-2014 09:38am)m_101 Wrote:  If you're looking for a free alternative which admittedly isn't as good but is free, then try the NAVFREE GPS options. Ok so there isn't the same traffic info but it's still not at all bad for a free app and stores all the data on the iPhone / iPad, and is relatively up to date.
I have the Spain version for whenever we go across there as well.

I agree NAVFREE GPS is a good free option. I have it on my iPhone for those occasions when I'm not in my car and need a Satnav.

Arrived - SD4 Prestige, 5 door, manual in Orkney Grey with Element interior. Style 4 wheels, spare wheel & auto-dimming rear view mirror.
Joining MX-5 2.0i convertible.
08-03-2014 06:43pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Well I was totally put off by the comments about the Tom-Tom app so looked at Navfree
and now have it on both iPhone and iPad - it's only for use in my Defender (when it was new incar satnav hadn't been invented........ and now you can fit it into an iPhone! ) best thing it was FREE apart from the £1.49 to loose the ads and £2.50 for the Wallace & Grommit voices (aka Peter Sallis). Tested it out driving into stirling this afternoon and it's good enough for me!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-03-2014 07:37pm
m_101

glad we could help! if I'm in spain then I have data roaming off so it's ad free anyway.

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
09-03-2014 01:02am
speary

(08-03-2014 07:37pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Well I was totally put off by the comments about the Tom-Tom app so looked at Navfree
and now have it on both iPhone and iPad - it's only for use in my Defender (when it was new incar satnav hadn't been invented........ and now you can fit it into an iPhone! ) best thing it was FREE apart from the £1.49 to loose the ads and £2.50 for the Wallace & Grommit voices (aka Peter Sallis). Tested it out driving into stirling this afternoon and it's good enough for me!

Which comments put you off the TomTom?

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
10-03-2014 09:45am