Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sat Nav issues
Donny Dog

RE: Sat Nav issues

(31-10-2013 10:41am)rchrdleigh Wrote:  Many of the issues raised above can be linked back to the Sat Nav set up.

As Tim mentioned check the Country of origin.
If it can't get you home on your preferred route ensure 'learn route' is enabled and after 3 drives on the same route with the same detour it should remember your preferred route and drop the extensive detour.
Also check 'easy route' is turned off as 'easy route' will try and give you a route that avoids turning right across traffic.

TMC relies on accurate up to date information being broadcast over the TMC channel, which in the UK is piggy backed onto Classic FM. If the traffic information is not updated by the TMC Channel the Sat Nav will work on the latest available which could well be out of date, hence giving apparently daft directions.

I agree it's not as intuitive as some systems but set up correctly it works adequately and is an improvement over the previous DVD based systems.

I have 'learn route' enabled and the only one it has 'learned', and actually refuses to 'forget', is the incorrect route home I mentioned above. I make a regular journey to and from Newcastle via the A19, and it ALWAYS wants to take me via the A!, to the extent that it's still asking me to do 'U' turns and go back to previous exits as much as twenty miles after I've passed them! I only keep sat. nav. on for such journeys for ETA data and in the (vain) hope that I'll get useful guidance from TMC. However, TMC sometimes informs me of 'changed circumstances' as often as once a minute, and most of the time is cancelling the previous detour. (Surely a system which had simply not updated wouldn't give me so much information, erroneous or otherwise). The dealer has looked at it every time I've had the car in (including today) to no avail. The system is also out of date, and isn't aware of various changes to the route (such as the Tyne Tunnel duplication and an assortment of roundabouts which disappeared years ago, whereas my older Mercedes has all these included. The most unbelievable one is the absence of the A1(M)/M62 intersection which was built so long ago it must have been before British Leyland went bankrupt!. It also, as I reported before, tried to take me down a road in Devon that turned out to be a gate into a field - not even a cart track existed there!

Incidentally, I was in today having the TV/radio cut-out/feedback problem rectified, as well as having a software upgrade, the spill rail check, and the driver's door fastened back on. I was impressed by the service - although the job over-ran massively - but this was slightly let down by the nearside wing-mirror glass falling out on the way home!
31-10-2013 04:02pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rchrdleigh

RE: Sat Nav issues

Donny Dog. I can understand your frustration and it does sound like there is something not right with your Sat Nav as I've not encountered similar problems in any of my work cars with the same LR system installed.
31-10-2013 07:00pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply