Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Same old question... Auto vs Manual...sorry...
rchrdleigh

RE: Same old question... Auto vs Manual...sorry...

(06-03-2012 07:54pm)Cedric Wrote:  I ordered my first auto, mainly because I'm bored with the gear changes in heavy traffic, where I spend quite some time.

I tested the TD4 and the engine is more than powerful enough for me. You do feel a bit of lag while overtaking as the gearbox shifts down. Apart from that the ride is very smooth and you find yourself speeding before you notice.

One thing I forgot to check is the flappy paddles, I don't think they come with the TD4. I would have taken the SD4 if it weren't for the taxes, based on the looks only.

TD4 only comes in manual and therefore doesn't have paddles.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2012 09:09pm by rchrdleigh.)
06-03-2012 09:06pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kimv

Cedric and me both ordered in Belgium and there the td4 comes also in auto. And as far as I can see in the brochure they don't make a difference for the auto gearbox for the td4 and sd4 so I guess both have the paddles.

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Tech Pack, Santorini Black, Verve Interior with Ebony headlining, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Solar Attenuating Glass, Style 7 Alloys, Adaptive Dynamics.
06-03-2012 09:37pm
CSJ

I have had 1 manual TT, 2 DSG auto TT's, a Scirocco DSG, and a Merc SLK auto all in the last few years. I have to say I have no complaints about the Evoque auto, whilst I am sure the 8 speed would be better I find the auto responsive, not sluggish, and unlike the Audi's I have been happy to leave the RR in D whereas I always drove the TT and Merc in S as the changes up were to early and gave a horrid engine noise.

The purists might prefer the german autos but I have found the RR auto absolutely fine, I also test drove a manual and found it fine, would opt for the auto again tho!

On order: Volvo XC60 T5 Inscription Pro

Current: Porsche Macan, Pebble Interior, Volcano Grey, Bose, other extras which cost lots and should be standard

Gone:
BMW X6 m diesel with BMW exclusive interior
Evoque Dynamic Orkney, Accolade Dynamic Plus Sports Interior (Ivory)
Evoque. Coupe, Dynamic, Fuji, Pursuit (x2)
Scirocco 2.0 GT DSG, Black, Black Lthr, 19" Luganos
TT Mk 2, Grey, Audi Exclusive Int
SLK Mk 2, Blk, Beige Lthr
TT Mk 1, Blue, Silver Lthr
TT Mk 1, Silver, Grey Lthr
07-03-2012 12:18am
Rootsboy

I think for me the idea of having the auto would be having a more relaxed driving experience. I used to love thrashing around in manuals when I was younger. But I suppose things have changed now and I think it would suit the car better.
I have also been driving a Audi while my evoque is having some warranty work done on it. And I have found the 1 and 2 gear changes to be much smoother then in my evoque which I am not so happy about.

SD4 Prestige 5 Door Manual. Fuji White. 20" Style 6 Wheels. Vibe-Ebony Interior and Header. Panoramic Roof. AD. Privacy and Solar Attenuating Glass. Surround Camera, Heated Seats. Pollution Sensor. Rear Vents. 825W Sound and a Spare Wheel
07-03-2012 06:18pm
Kimv

Thank you all for the replies. They've been very helpful and more so than the other threads i've read. Considering that the majority would recommend the auto this is what I'm going to stay with Smile

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Tech Pack, Santorini Black, Verve Interior with Ebony headlining, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Solar Attenuating Glass, Style 7 Alloys, Adaptive Dynamics.
07-03-2012 07:31pm
aljrob

Ok, in the interests of full disclosure I am a very new owner having picked up my SD4 Prestige auto only 2 days ago and having had the chance to put only 30 or so miles on it due to a combination of work and illness, but for what it's worth, coming from a Porsche Cayman S manual I am very pleased with the auto so far.

I guess I didn't have any expectations over my previous car of the Evoque being sporty etc, but to my mind the auto suits the car, allowing a relaxing drive, gives my left foot a rest in town traffic etc.

I guess it comes down to what you want the car for...
Oh, and were I buying another sports car I'd choose manual over auto/double clutch for sure.
And it goes surprisingly quickly when you floor it even with the auto
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2012 09:31pm by aljrob.)
07-03-2012 09:26pm
PhilSkill

Or of course you could have got a Manual... Twisted Evil

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
07-03-2012 09:56pm
aljrob

Hehe, evil...
07-03-2012 11:19pm
Kimv

I could.. The main reason I consider an auto is because I want something different. Been driving manuals for 18 years now and always wondered how it would be to own an auto. So it's not really a matter of wanting the best of the 2. Even if the manual and auto would be rated exactly the same, I'd go for an auto just because it would be a change. The only reason I'd opt again for a manual would be if the auto were to be rated very badly compared to the manual, which seems not to be the case.

08-03-2012 09:28am