Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SGRC Loch Sloy Green Lane type run
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

SGRC Loch Sloy Green Lane type run

Yesterday, aside from bashing the tailgate of my car before we even went off road, I took part in a Green Road Run in the hills between Loch Lomond and Loch Sloy. Still plenty of signs of winter and it rained a lot but otherwise the Evoque handled everything thrown at it. There was only one small part of the drive I didn't do as there was no way either the Freelander2 that was there or my Evoque was going to get up the heavily rutted slope on our 100% road biased tyres. The tracks were mostly hard paved/ tarred with potholes or rough gravel with potholes!

Enjoy

First stop - Inveruglass Pumping station for the pump/storage Hydro -Electric power station. That is Loch Lomond below us, about 200m lower
[Image: file_zpsb4db082c.jpg]

The mountain covered in cloud in the centre of the photo is Ben Lomond, we were on the west side of hte Loch looking south east, next weekend there is a GRR on farm tracks round the back of Ben lomond and ending at an isolated cottage on the loch shore. That run is not Evoque friendly at this time of the year due to parts of the track being washed away. In high summer the Evqoue would handle it as the farmer repairs the wash outs.
[Image: file_zpsce05f94a.jpg]

At the lunchtime stop
[Image: file_zps16ae40b3.jpg]

[Image: file_zpsb70fbedb.jpg]

On the trails

[Image: file_zpsec0b508d.jpg]

Typical road surface
[Image: file_zps549a4608.jpg]

Evoque and Freelander2 strolled over this with no issues
[Image: file_zpsfbaa7cd1.jpg]

This was the bit that we didn't attempt. It doesn't look too bad from this angle BUT in the middle of the track were two ruts nearly 20cm deep with very large rocks sticking up each side.......... too risky and many of the Disco2's and Defenders running road biased tyres didn't get up even with low ratio and diff locks. By the time my turn came the surface was so chewed up that the ruts were just too deep for risking the Evoque's underbody and the front and rear overhanging bits!
[Image: file_zpsb6090fef.jpg]

And YES I did get it up on three wheels! At this section

[Image: file_zps3edcf649.jpg]

[Image: file_zps9400a8dd.jpg]

And NO I didn't do this so no embarrassment at having to be pulled out again like this guy!
[Image: file_zpsfafa70bd.jpg]

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 22-04-2013 09:55am by XFullFatTim.)
22-04-2013 08:45am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Amadeus

RE: SGRC Loch Sloy Green Lane type run

Excellent - great shots! Nothing like offroading AND being the most stylish one there! Was at Loch Lomond as a tourist many years ago.

eD4 Pure Fuji Coupe | Tech Pack | Pano Roof | Cirrus Leather | Powerfold Mirrors | Xenons | 19" Style 3s | arr 5Apr13
(This post was last modified: 22-04-2013 02:42pm by Amadeus.)
22-04-2013 02:38pm
SebM

Excellent !!!!

Actually : '04 Lotus Elise Mk2 111 & '11 Land Rover Defender 90 SW RAW
23-04-2013 02:49pm
WB
WB

Looks like great fun Tim!
23-04-2013 03:05pm
XFullFatTim

It was, despite the rain and breaking the tailgate! One or two anxious moments about scuffing the wheels or driving over flints on my low profile tyres but otherwise a grand day out

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
23-04-2013 04:46pm
jitenc

(23-04-2013 04:46pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  It was, despite the rain and breaking the tailgate! One or two anxious moments about scuffing the wheels or driving over flints on my low profile tyres but otherwise a grand day out

Hi Tim,
What size tyre are these? Standard 20". Would 18" mud and snow made a difference to the overall handling?

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
23-04-2013 11:47pm
XFullFatTim

They are the standard OEM 20" Continentals. Yes the 18" M&S would have made some difference as they have a bit of offroad biase ie the tread pattern throws out the dirt better than the 20's so turn to slicks about 10 secs later! The 18's also have more sidewall so better protection for your alloys and a more resilient ride on rough surfaces

24-04-2013 08:03am