Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SD4 Engine flat spot
Stufrost

RE: SD4 Engine flat spot

Thanks for all the comments and I've noted others on this subject.

The flat spot happens when I pull away from stop at a junction. Then nothing for one, two maybe more seconds - and that's a lot when you're a sitting duck in moving traffic! This may be only Auto related because you can get the revs up with a manual. Nonetheless its a design fault with this engine and serious safety concern.

Anyone used the chip that's meant to boost performance and fix the flat spot from http://www.chipmydiesel.com ???
26-07-2013 01:18am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hondafreak

SD4 Engine flat spot

My SD4 auto suffers the same. I have it now for one year. It is really dangerous this behaviour. I have almost crashed on several occasions when driving slowly in to a roundabout and then want to fill a slot quickly and nothing happens.

But i googled the web and it seems no cure around. Maybe a chip tuning which doesnt care about emissions could cure this bahaviour.

Never had one issue yet...very reliable car!

Fuji White, 5dr Prestige SD4 - Auto, Shadow Chrome 20" Style 7 Wheels, Winter Pack, Ambiance-Oxford
leather interior (ivory-espresso color),Rear Camera Parking Aid, Power Tailgate
26-07-2013 11:55am
ogpurestyle

(26-07-2013 11:55am)hondafreak Wrote:  My SD4 auto suffers the same. I have it now for one year. It is really dangerous this behaviour. I have almost crashed on several occasions when driving slowly in to a roundabout and then want to fill a slot quickly and nothing happens.

But i googled the web and it seems no cure around. Maybe a chip tuning which doesnt care about emissions could cure this bahaviour.

I was told by someone working in the dealer who owned an auto SD4 Evoque that turning off the DSC around town "sharpens" up the response. I have not tried it but one of the points mentioned was at roundabouts.

Obviously turning off DSC may introduce other more dangerous behaviors depending on what you are doing and road conditions Smile
26-07-2013 12:15pm
hondafreak

SD4 Engine flat spot

I will try this tonight..thanks

Never had one issue yet...very reliable car!

Fuji White, 5dr Prestige SD4 - Auto, Shadow Chrome 20" Style 7 Wheels, Winter Pack, Ambiance-Oxford
leather interior (ivory-espresso color),Rear Camera Parking Aid, Power Tailgate
26-07-2013 12:16pm
KaDargo

(25-07-2013 01:44pm)benzina Wrote:  And did you also notice a big difference on this issue?

I wouldn't say big - maybe subtle Very Happy

However, I have also switched to V-Power Nitro recently as well, and overall it does all seem a bit smoother and more responsive, especially at roundabouts!

SD4 Prestige, Mauritius, Element, Cirrus Headlining, Pana Roof, Park Assist, Heated Steering Wheel,Blind Spot monitor, 20" Alloys, Powered Tailgate
26-07-2013 01:07pm
Iktank

I currently have MY13 evoque auto and the power delivery is much improved over the LR2, I can live with the minor lag on mine - most noticeable when pulling up to junction then flooring it to get out - lag then woosh - needs getting used to

My LR2 which was auto was diabolical - I could not live the lag on this and had a chip box fitted, this improved things but did not improve fuel economy as claimed, the chip box lasted about 2 years then failed so I had the official performance LR remap done which increased the power from 157bhp to 200ish and much sharper pulling off, lag was still there but much reduced. Fuel economy was slightly reduced

If not happy with the lag most definably try remap - from a reputable company or official LR performance remap - does not harm engine.
27-07-2013 07:29am
Stufrost

OK -Useful feedback. I'm going to buy the 'chip my diesel' chip at A$400. Don't feel I should have to given its a problem that shouldn't be there and the car's just a year old but I'll do it anyway and let you know the results on these pages.
29-07-2013 12:20am
speary

(27-07-2013 07:29am)Iktank Wrote:  I currently have MY13 evoque auto and the power delivery is much improved over the LR2, I can live with the minor lag on mine - most noticeable when pulling up to junction then flooring it to get out - lag then woosh - needs getting used to

My LR2 which was auto was diabolical - I could not live the lag on this and had a chip box fitted, this improved things but did not improve fuel economy as claimed, the chip box lasted about 2 years then failed so I had the official performance LR remap done which increased the power from 157bhp to 200ish and much sharper pulling off, lag was still there but much reduced. Fuel economy was slightly reduced

If not happy with the lag most definably try remap - from a reputable company or official LR performance remap - does not harm engine.

I wasn't aware that there is an "Official" LR remap available. what was the cost and who did it ?
Thanks

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
31-07-2013 01:03pm
J990077

Sorry to bring this thread to the top again but does anyone have resolution for this problem or any results on chipping/re-mapping?
I recently bought an SD4 auto and when moving off from stop (at a junction/roundabout etc) the engine will sometimes die for a couple of seconds before picking up again.
Any help would be appreciated.
25-03-2014 11:18am
abcya

(25-07-2013 08:31pm)wavey.dave Wrote:  I mentioned this to my dealer and they tried to fob me off by saying its because the auto uses 2nd gear rather than dropping to first.

Had a few hairy moments pulling out of junctions and getting caught by it, but I tend to be more cautious now.

About a month ago I started experimenting with engaging first with the paddle shift at junctions so the car starts in 1st rather than 2nd. It's more predictable as you're not going to get a kick-down from rolling away in 2nd and the car changing to 1st.

Firenze red Dynamic 5-door with Verve interior and pano roof
(This post was last modified: 25-03-2014 11:46pm by abcya.)
25-03-2014 11:46pm