Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SD4 Engine flat spot
speary

RE: SD4 Engine flat spot

One of the reasons I didn't buy an auto Evoque. It did this on the test drive. this is something that I am sure can be tuned out with software as these flatspots are usually caused by weak fuelling to keep emissions down. I don't think it is just RR's that are affected. Spoke to a friend the other week and he had the same issue and he doesn't have an Evoque

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
23-07-2013 08:31am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

I think there's an element of Turbo-lag and the Auto box as in the Manual if you try to pull away without getting the revs up (and thus the turbo spun up) you can sometimes also experience this.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
23-07-2013 08:40am
Biker

Some other cars do the same. My Murano did too, but that is purely because of the CVT trying to figure out what this sudden smack against the head means. But once it got the message, it is full steam ahead. Annoying especially at traffic lights or junctions into a main road.

TD4 180 HSE MY17 Fuji White
24-07-2013 03:00am
Lachlan

I would bet it's not the slush box nor the turbo lag (or size of the engine), but the conservative mapping on the drive-by-wire throttle. Reason I believe this is I owned a BMW 850i at one time--5L engine and manual gear box, and it did the same thing. It was just how the electric throttle was mapped, and a chip to remap the throttle took care of it.

MY13 RR Evoque Dynamic Si4 Automatic; Orkney Grey w/ Black Contrast Roof; Style 7 Wheels; Ebony Interior/Head Liner
24-07-2013 07:28pm
j7david

Have you had all the software updates applied? I had the same problem, mentioned it to the dealer at the first service (Jan '13) and they applied some software fixes and now it's much much better.

Jan '12 Dynamic SD4 Auto, 19" General Grabber AT, a few options, off to Kenya soon.
24-07-2013 07:49pm
benzina

(24-07-2013 07:49pm)j7david Wrote:  Have you had all the software updates applied? I had the same problem, mentioned it to the dealer at the first service (Jan '13) and they applied some software fixes and now it's much much better.

7david....perhaps when you can get around to it, you could ask your dealer if he could detail the exact software fixes they applied to your car.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
25-07-2013 06:41am
j7david

(25-07-2013 06:41am)benzina Wrote:  7david....perhaps when you can get around to it, you could ask your dealer if he could detail the exact software fixes they applied to your car.

I'll see if I can find the invoice; I think they said it was something to do with the gearbox and mapping or something like that but I'll post here when I find the document.

Jan '12 Dynamic SD4 Auto, 19" General Grabber AT, a few options, off to Kenya soon.
25-07-2013 08:15am
KaDargo

(25-07-2013 08:15am)j7david Wrote:  I'll see if I can find the invoice; I think they said it was something to do with the gearbox and mapping or something like that but I'll post here when I find the document.

When I had my service done, they downloaded 17 updates - one of which was the gearbox fix (I had mentioned it before, and he checked a list and said, 'yes the gearbox fix is on there for those that need it')

SD4 Prestige, Mauritius, Element, Cirrus Headlining, Pana Roof, Park Assist, Heated Steering Wheel,Blind Spot monitor, 20" Alloys, Powered Tailgate
25-07-2013 09:29am
benzina

(25-07-2013 09:29am)KaDargo Wrote:  When I had my service done, they downloaded 17 updates - one of which was the gearbox fix (I had mentioned it before, and he checked a list and said, 'yes the gearbox fix is on there for those that need it')

And did you also notice a big difference on this issue?

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
25-07-2013 01:44pm
wavey.dave

I mentioned this to my dealer and they tried to fob me off by saying its because the auto uses 2nd gear rather than dropping to first.

Had a few hairy moments pulling out of junctions and getting caught by it, but I tend to be more cautious now.

[Image: 143277.png]
25-07-2013 08:31pm