Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Roof rails, Thule Motion 200 roof box
brianthedog

RE: Roof rails, Thule Motion 200 roof box

(04-11-2012 01:02pm)Dogscout Wrote:  Great Minds think alike. I bought the RR rails but want to use the Thule cross bars and mounts I already have for my Kayaks. I also have the same foot set left over from my Discovery1. We went visiting family last weekend and I realized that we filled up the rear luggage space quickly and i have been thinking about a roof box all week, but which one? Thanks for the pictures too. It looks great, although I will likely go with a longer box to fit ski's, etc.

Yes, not much room for ski's in my box but nevertheless I got a surprising amount in - including the icandy pram base sideways with the wheels off which left room for bags fore and aft.
The RR is quite high, I am 6'1" but needed to stand on something to load/unload even with a box that opens either side so I would definitely recommend one like that.
I also bought a Mont Blanc Top Box Strap Lift which, so far, works well and keeps the roof box out of the way.

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr in Orkney with Ebony, Black Contrast roof
Pan Roof, Premium interior pack, Park Assist, Shadow Chrome Wheels, Roof Rails
04-11-2012 03:08pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Discopants

Hi folks, i'm just going through the pain of this.

I have been told by Thule they will NOT support via warranty fitting to my 5 dr evoque with Panoramic roof.

As such, I am at a loss to how I can get a roof box on the motor.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, Thule are saying adding their 'feet' attachments to a pan roof flexes the roof by up to 4mm, increasing the risk of cracking
10-12-2012 01:22pm
smayo

LR roof rails with Thule rack.
IIRC the Thule footpack is the 775.

Go on the Thule website and configure for 5dr with roof rails.

Not a cheap option though as the rails will set you back almost £500 plus the rack on top.

Ordered 17/2/12 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Mauritius Blue, Pan roof, 20" style 6 (gloss black), Vortex, Ebony Headlining, Ent Pack, Heated St. Wheel, Homelink, Pr Glass, Auto Dim r.view mirror, spare wheel
10-12-2012 10:33pm
brianthedog

(10-12-2012 01:22pm)Discopants Wrote:  Hi folks, i'm just going through the pain of this.

I have been told by Thule they will NOT support via warranty fitting to my 5 dr evoque with Panoramic roof.

FYI, Thule are saying adding their 'feet' attachments to a pan roof flexes the roof by up to 4mm, increasing the risk of cracking

It is not the weight in the box or even the (presumably considerable) parasite drag that is my main concern but the potential to generate either positive or negative lift.
At 70mph it may not be creating Formula 1 style down force but the aerofoil shape of most boxes probably has the potential to produce positive lift. IMHO the real danger though is not to get the thing level, nose high would surely create a great deal of lift.
Having said all that though, without putting it in a wind tunnel, who knows?
I was anxious to ensure I stuck with recommended fixings!

From your post it sounds like rails are the only recommended option for cargo on a pan roof. Mine were dealer fitted but you can do it yourself to save a few pounds and there are posts on here from those that have managed it.

I have the OEM rails but there some of the guys on the west coast of America that have saved a few $ by buying the Chinese rip-off's from e-bay.com - search "Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Roof Rails + Cross bars Roof Rack System Black" - US $450 - but remember + 20% VAT and £8 for the PO to collect it.
Who knows what they are certified for but at least they would bolt to the appropriate points and may be an option for the brave.Confused

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr in Orkney with Ebony, Black Contrast roof
Pan Roof, Premium interior pack, Park Assist, Shadow Chrome Wheels, Roof Rails
10-12-2012 11:25pm
jorn

a good friend of mine works at the head office from Thule, he will listen to what the engineers have to say on this matter. i'll get back as soon as i have a reply.
11-12-2012 10:21am
WB
WB

(10-12-2012 01:22pm)Discopants Wrote:  Hi folks, i'm just going through the pain of this.

Are you referring to the thule cars or the box?

I have the thule bars and they work very well. Nowhere on the Thule website or in the instructions do they say ithey can't be used with the pan roof. All it says for fit is Evoque 5dr SUV 2011-

Also the LR box is a rebranded Thule Motion 200 - but more expensive ofcourse!
11-12-2012 12:54pm
jorn

i've just received the information about the thule feet for the pano roof. from the Kit manager from Thule Sweden:

It’s no problem to use this Kit on the car with glass roof

If we have problem with glass Roof will this be printed on the label and the box and the info will be found on the web

so i wouldn't worry about it, the salesperson was talking rubbish.
jorn
11-12-2012 01:59pm
Discopants

What i'm being told is I have to retro fit LR roof rails, then I can buy the thule kit (bars, feet, box etc)

Now getting a price for retro fitting the rails is a whole new thread of pain (Stratstone LR Newcastle :evilSmile
11-12-2012 04:13pm
ChuckieB

(11-12-2012 04:13pm)Discopants Wrote:  What i'm being told is I have to retro fit LR roof rails, then I can buy the thule kit (bars, feet, box etc)

Now getting a price for retro fitting the rails is a whole new thread of pain (Stratstone LR Newcastle :evilSmile

Thule without roof rails and with pano roof, see attached. There are others threads on this as well, if you search.

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Thule-Roo...3#pid71873

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
11-12-2012 04:36pm
Discopants

(11-12-2012 04:36pm)ChuckieB Wrote:  Thule without roof rails and with pano roof, see attached. There are others threads on this as well, if you search.

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Thule-Roo...3#pid71873

Thanks for this - i did search for roof boxes etc but missed this one.

The thing is THule are saying they will not warrant their product, and advise strong risk of damage to the pan roof. So hey ho, roof rails being fitted Tuesday Sad
14-12-2012 12:30pm