Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Roof rails, Thule Motion 200 roof box
brianthedog

Roof rails, Thule Motion 200 roof box

I have had my Evoque a whole 4 days. Very Happy
It's grey with the contrast black roof, pan roof and shadowline alloys. The roof rails were fitted by the dealer before I collected it.

I got round to trial fitting the roof box today.

I spent a long time on the net trying to find the best box solution as the boot is just not big enough for dogs and a young family.

I found very few pictures of the OEM roof rails - because they are ridiculously expensive! - but I think that, if anything, they improve the look. Anyway, they were purchased to do a job. I did consider the ones that don't need roof rails but was concerned about the paint, straining the glass roof and I just did not like the look of them.

The LR roof bars and (small) box are just too stupidly expensive for me and my preferred Whispbar solution will probably not be available until the end of the year (2012).

http://www.whispbar.co.nz/

I bought the 135cm Thule 962 Wing bars with the Thule 775 footpack. I knew they would be long but thankfully, as the Evoque is really wide, I don't think they turned out too wide. I chose the Motion 200 box as it is only 175cm long and most of the other boxes looked like they would be too long or stupidly short. It is reasonably wide and I can get our icandy pram in it.

There are warnings in other posts that some of the cheaper boxes are tricky to fit. I am very glad to say mine was reasonably easy - I managed it single handed (just). It opens both sides and the Thule system works very well.

There are a 4 holes/notches on the inside of the LR roof rails. I assumed they were to fix the LR roof bars. I think that fixing the bars there keeps the roof box flat, it seems to.

I have tried to add some photos but (I think) only managed some of the ones I meant to post.

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr in Orkney with Ebony, Black Contrast roof
Pan Roof, Premium interior pack, Park Assist, Shadow Chrome Wheels, Roof Rails
(This post was last modified: 21-10-2012 10:08pm by brianthedog.)
21-10-2012 10:03pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

RE: Roof rails, Thule Motion 200 roof box

(21-10-2012 10:03pm)brianthedog Wrote:  I spent a long time on the net trying to find the best box solution as the boot is just not big enough for dogs and a young family.

I would not recommend putting either the dogs or your young family in a roof box ! Laughing

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
21-10-2012 10:13pm
brianthedog

(21-10-2012 10:13pm)cjfp Wrote:  I would not recommend putting either the dogs or your young family in a roof box ! Laughing

Actually the (Ikea like) Thule instructions include a number of crossed-out boxes, one of which has a dog icon. So yes, no dogs. Wink

(This post was last modified: 22-10-2012 12:21am by brianthedog.)
21-10-2012 10:28pm
cjfp

(21-10-2012 10:28pm)brianthedog Wrote:  Actually the (Ikea like) Thule instructions include a number of crossed-out boxes, one of which has a dog icon. So yes, no dogs. Wink

Ok for the young family then ... Laughing

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
21-10-2012 10:38pm
ChuckieB

Firstly welcome! You'll obviously find a lot of help and sometimes even wit on this forum! The more the merrier!

I suspect you are the first to go with the 775 foot pack even though it is the Thule recommended fit. Would be interested to hear how you get on with them. A number have gone for the 757 and to be honest I think it is a surprisingly good fit.

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
21-10-2012 10:44pm
brianthedog

(21-10-2012 10:44pm)ChuckieB Wrote:  Firstly welcome! You'll obviously find a lot of help and sometimes even wit on this forum! The more the merrier!

I suspect you are the first to go with the 775 foot pack even though it is the Thule recommended fit. Would be interested to hear how you get on with them. A number have gone for the 757 and to be honest I think it is a surprisingly good fit.

Thanks for the welcome.

If I had a different system I would probably have tried that but I have never had anything on the roof before so it's all new to me. A Whispbar would have been good - and they informed me they are currently developing one for the Evoque - but I needed it now so there was only the one (non LR) solution.

Despite watching the Thule videos (that make it all look ridiculously easy) I took a LONG time to do it. However, it all came off quickly and I will be much slicker next time.

21-10-2012 11:24pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

In September for the first time in my life I purchased a roof box and being a regular Range Rover owner and am therefore by default a multimillionaire, I brought the LR box. What really surprised me was how quietly it cuts through the air at speed. I was expecting lots of wind noise but a journey from Warwick to Scotland sat at 70 all the way we would not have known it was there had we not been able to see it through the panoramic roof. Fuel consumption was not hurt much either, which was another surprise. The car is now running around minus the roofbox and crossbars but I did have to go to the local dealership to have a lesson on how to remove the LR crossbars, right fiddly job that is but removing the roofbox from the rails was dead easy with it claw clamp fittings. Now all I have to do is to make an adapter so I can use the roof rails I have for my Defender to take the roofbox as well (they are square section and not aerofoil like the Evoque's

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 22-10-2012 01:01pm by XFullFatTim.)
22-10-2012 01:00pm
pureevoque

Welcome, I have the LR rails and the same thule setup, I bought the same box online too on Saturday!

Thanks for the photos, like you spent ages deciding which Thule box to go for.

Will add some photos later in the week when hopefully mine should of been delivered...

ed4 Pure 5 Dr, Fuji, Xenons, Front Fogs, Power mirrors & tailgate, 20" Style 6. Ordered 290611 Delivered 090312
22-10-2012 04:58pm
brianthedog

(22-10-2012 04:58pm)pureevoque Wrote:  Welcome, I have the LR rails and the same thule setup, I bought the same box online too on Saturday!

Thanks for the photos, like you spent ages deciding which Thule box to go for.

Will add some photos later in the week when hopefully mine should of been delivered...

Great minds think alike.

My box came from Halfords on-line. When it arrived I cut the 3 parcel straps to check it was the right colour and not obviously damaged and then closed up the box. Later I tried to move it and the box just disintegrated, it was like it was not a box at all but just bits of cardboard held together by the straps.

I thought initially it may have had a scratch on top but, of course, it was just on the protective film. It really is very shiny, enjoy.

When you open the 775 instructions it looks like the diagram is telling you to throw the wingbar instructions in the bin! I think this is, in fact, what they mean - just use the 775 instructions for both.

I have not yet worked out how to use the cm markers on the slidy thing under the wing bars, if you figure it out please let me know.

22-10-2012 05:39pm
Dogscout

Great Minds think alike. I bought the RR rails but want to use the Thule cross bars and mounts I already have for my Kayaks. I also have the same foot set left over from my Discovery1. We went visiting family last weekend and I realized that we filled up the rear luggage space quickly and i have been thinking about a roof box all week, but which one? Thanks for the pictures too. It looks great, although I will likely go with a longer box to fit ski's, etc.
04-11-2012 01:02pm