Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Retrofitting Rear Camera and front sensors post delivery
Jai

Hi guys currently I really cannot afford the AUD$1700 it costs to add the rear camera and front sensors to my build so I'm wondering if at some later stage it's going to be possible to retrofit them? I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to find out how using the topix manuals available online and there is a good chance the main wiring loom might already have provision for it (in a similar way illuminated tread plates can be fitted post delivery). Worth taking my chances or should I sacrifice the AD suspension on my order for the camera? Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
06-06-2012 02:00am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
QUEEVO

RE: Retrofitting Rear Camera and front sensors post delivery

My understanding was that the issue would be lack of provision in the wiring harness for a retro fit so you ask a very good question...

I did also assume that rear camera was standard...?

look fwd to more replies.

regards,
Queevo
----------------------------------------------------------------------
MY12 TD4 Prestige Auto, Baltic Blue / Vibe, Tech, Surround Cameras, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass
06-06-2012 02:10am
Neo

I was planning to do the same with the rear camera but the after market quote was $1700 from the dealer. Also, since the camera is not the same one as the factory, you do not get the guidance markers displayed on the screen plus it is not integrated with the rear sensors. Therefore I ordered the camera with car.

SD4 Dynamic, Fuji white 5 door
Pano roof, Adaptive Dynamics, style 7 wheels, auto tailgate, reverse camera, rear vents

Ordered: April 2012 | Built: June 2012 | Delivered: 14 August 2012
06-06-2012 02:17am
chiggy

(06-06-2012 02:00am)Jai Wrote:  Hi guys currently I really cannot afford the AUD$1700 it costs to add the rear camera and front sensors to my build so I'm wondering if at some later stage it's going to be possible to retrofit them? I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to find out how using the topix manuals available online and there is a good chance the main wiring loom might already have provision for it (in a similar way illuminated tread plates can be fitted post delivery). Worth taking my chances or should I sacrifice the AD suspension on my order for the camera? Cheers!

It depends on how necessary you think the rear camera is in comparison to AD. I was talking to my dealer about retrofitting and it was concluded that it would be way way way too complicated to install and may even just end up costing you more including fitting etc. I'd recommend adding the camera on because trust me, it helps.

Upto you though!

Evoque Round 2: Fuji Si4 Dynamic - 5dr. Pursuit interior. Dynamic Tech Pack. Adaptive Xenons. 19in Standard Alloy wheels. Twisted Evil
Contrast black roof (to be painted soon). (Previously a Firenze Pure owner - still my favourite colour Wink)
06-06-2012 02:57am
mark_n

This is not the easiest car to reverse because of the width and limited rear vision so I would say it's pretty much essential. It's a pity that the option cost so much. Retrofitting is not an economic option because parts bought as spares are always more expensive than the content included at build time, the labour cost can be substantial depending on how much of the car has to come apart and there may be software reconfiguration to do. It's a non-starter.

Remember in the early days that there was a batch of cars built without the camera by mistake? Buyers were offered a refund or had to wait for a new car, retro-fitting was not an option offered. So if LR think it's a big job, it will be nigh on impossible for that dealer in downtown Wooloomooloo.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
06-06-2012 07:13am
doug

A rear view camera can be fitted aftermarket for around £135.00+labour. It's not a DIY job, so unless you have some understanding of electrics & don't mine ripping your car apart to run the cables.
I can understand a LR dealer not wanting to go down this route, as the gear isn't "LR". But any good ICE installer could fit it for you.

As for front & rear parking sensors. Not fitted them on mine, as I had them from the factory as part of the Tech Pack. But yes aftermarket ones could be fitted. The distance display wouldn't show in the head unit, but the buzzer would work in the same way. They sell theses sensors in different colours, or can be sprayed to match your body work. But like anything these days. The parts are cheap, but labour costs will run in to hundreds of pounds.

The Evoque doesn't have a standard wiring harness which fits all models Sad

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2012 12:10pm by doug.)
06-06-2012 08:24am
Straydox

(06-06-2012 02:00am)Jai Wrote:  Hi guys currently I really cannot afford the AUD$1700 it costs to add the rear camera and front sensors to my build so I'm wondering if at some later stage it's going to be possible to retrofit them? I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to find out how using the topix manuals available online and there is a good chance the main wiring loom might already have provision for it (in a similar way illuminated tread plates can be fitted post delivery). Worth taking my chances or should I sacrifice the AD suspension on my order for the camera? Cheers! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'd sacrifice the AD for the rear camera - you will soon forget that AD is even there (the standard suspension is excellent anyway) but the reversing camera is something you will be reminded about every day.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
06-06-2012 01:25pm
GibEvoque

I have no probs reversing, just use mirrors and listen to rear parking sensors, the cars footprint is not as big as you think.

2012 RRE TD4 Auto Dynamic, Fuji white, Shadow Chrome alloys, Panoramic contrast roof
1983 Mk1 Golf Cabriolet 1.8 Gli - Plaything
2009 Fiat Bravo 1.4 T-jet Dyamic - Gone
1994 306 XSi - Long Gone
1985 Mk2 1.3 Golf CL - First LoveWink
06-06-2012 03:39pm
Big G

(06-06-2012 02:00am)Jai Wrote:  Hi guys currently I really cannot afford the AUD$1700 it costs to add the rear camera and front sensors to my build so I'm wondering if at some later stage it's going to be possible to retrofit them? I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to find out how using the topix manuals available online and there is a good chance the main wiring loom might already have provision for it (in a similar way illuminated tread plates can be fitted post delivery). Worth taking my chances or should I sacrifice the AD suspension on my order for the camera? Cheers!

Based on those in the know it seems to be tricky to retrofit. I'm lucky enough to have both , but given I've had for 4 months now I'd say the rear camera is a must , especially on a Coupe. I love the ride of the AD , but others say the standardis excellent too. Thats my two cents worth. !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collected !! 18/02/2012
Prestige Coupe SD4 Sumatra Black, Spirit interior, Pano roof , Heated seats, Privacy, Rear vents, Rear camera,Manual & style 5 19s. Not Prestige mats, 54 miles in tank when collected.
06-06-2012 04:42pm
Pickles

I have a retro fitted camera and it does have the guidance lines. I don't use it as it doesn't seem that good and to be honest it's not as hard to reverse as you think.
20-08-2015 10:15am