Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Retro fit after market Sat Nav to Evoque
ynottony

RE: Retro fit after market Sat Nav to Evoque

This is the how it's currently setup, the power is connected to the middle 12V power where the USB is connected

is this where you put the external receiver?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

24-01-2015 04:32am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Whale

(24-01-2015 04:32am)ynottony Wrote:  This is the how it's currently setup, the power is connected to the middle 12V power where the USB is connected

The answer is Yes - exactly the same but I didnt plug it in to that power point but the 12volt one in the rear cargo compartment. I would think the USB point would only out around 5 volts as per SB standards - my view is it wont work on this point.

cheers

Brad
24-01-2015 10:24am
jc74

I've got the solar attentuating windscreen and can not get phone and gps reception with my phone. Anyway I've bought one of these SBG190 and used it with limited success. It definitely does work better than none at all but I still lose gps lock quite often - just when I need it too it seems!

I had it positioned on the outside of the boot and also on the roof, with the inside antenna, on the parcel shelf, on top of rear seat head rest, under front of rear seats, and under the passenger front seat all with what seems like limited success.

In the end I've tried a Tomtom go 5100 and that seems to work even without the sbg-190 antenna!
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015 02:48pm by jc74.)
08-08-2015 11:43am
Mark^^

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015 04:27am by Mark^^.)
08-08-2015 12:58pm
Whale

(24-01-2015 04:32am)ynottony Wrote:  This is the how it's currently setup, the power is connected to the middle 12V power where the USB is connected

Yes exactly but make sure the internal receiver is a as far forward under the carpet as possible into the front drivers/passengers compartment. i found even a few 100 millimetres made a difference in the reception of the GPS. I use a Garmin and i found no matter what brand did not make a difference so extend the cable as far forward into the cabin as you can and see how this works. Seriously I have read the other posts which appear to incur a lot of money to do the same thing. Hmmm you have to wonder how a $26 fix overcomes a $1500 fix hmmmm. I have been using this for the past 2 years and had no problems except it takes about 20 seconds to intialise and once that done it updates every 10 seconds. I feel confident with this soloution rather than spending $$$$$$$

cheers

Brad
09-08-2015 12:00pm
ynottony

(09-08-2015 12:00pm)Whale Wrote:  Yes exactly but make sure the internal receiver is a as far forward under the carpet as possible into the front drivers/passengers compartment. i found even a few 100 millimetres made a difference in the reception of the GPS. I use a Garmin and i found no matter what brand did not make a difference so extend the cable as far forward into the cabin as you can and see how this works. Seriously I have read the other posts which appear to incur a lot of money to do the same thing. Hmmm you have to wonder how a $26 fix overcomes a $1500 fix hmmmm. I have been using this for the past 2 years and had no problems except it takes about 20 seconds to intialise and once that done it updates every 10 seconds. I feel confident with this soloution rather than spending $$$$$$$

cheers

Brad

Thanks Brad.

Yes, I got the SBG and it works great, I eventually plugged the power into the back power in the boot.

One thing I notice is that if the cable is slightly pressed or something is on top of it, it will not pick up the signal, but after finding that out, it works great.

I did get a quote from a 3rd party company that can install the GPS through the factory system, so you just hold the audio/video button for X secs and it will switch to GPS but it cost over $1500 so didn't get it.

There is also another company I found through google based in Sydney that can do the same as above but also include GPS + Rear camera for $1200 i think but SBG is way cheaper though.
09-08-2015 01:27pm
jc74

Just out of interest, before giving up entire on the SBG190, does anyone had tips on where they have positioned the external and internal units which works best, and I will try them (if I haven't already!). I'd really prefer to use Waze instead if possible on my phone, but a TomTom will do as next best thing otherwise!

Thanks
10-08-2015 02:49pm
riteon

(10-08-2015 02:49pm)jc74 Wrote:  Just out of interest, before giving up entire on the SBG190, does anyone had tips on where they have positioned the external and internal units which works best, and I will try them (if I haven't already!). I'd really prefer to use Waze instead if possible on my phone, but a TomTom will do as next best thing otherwise!

Thanks

Hi JC,

I originally ordered one like you before and gave up & sent back. I gave it another try, making sure that there was good distance between aerial and transmitter (as above) and put near my speed camera unit.

I put the antenna on the outside of the roof by the nearside rear window (between panoramic and side window) on painted bit. I then ran the cable through the top of boot seal (by compression - no leaks in 6 months so far) and into the power unit which I plugged into the 12v socket in centre armrest. I then ran the internal transmitter through the centre tunnel, up to the offside (drivers side) dash where it meets the A pillar. I had to position the black pole (internal transmitter) within an inch of my devices aerial (pogo alert) and it now works perfectly.

I'm sure it could be better routed, but if you try running the cables this way and just hang over seats initially, you can get the proof of concept and then tidy it up.

hope this helps you.

(11-08-2015 12:04pm)riteon Wrote:  Hi JC,

I originally ordered one like you before and gave up & sent back. I gave it another try, making sure that there was good distance between aerial and transmitter (as above) and put near my speed camera unit.

I put the antenna on the outside of the roof by the nearside rear window (between panoramic and side window) on painted bit. I then ran the cable through the top of boot seal (by compression - no leaks in 6 months so far) and into the power unit which I plugged into the 12v socket in centre armrest. I then ran the internal transmitter through the centre tunnel, up to the offside (drivers side) dash where it meets the A pillar. I had to position the black pole (internal transmitter) within an inch of my devices aerial (pogo alert) and it now works perfectly.

I'm sure it could be better routed, but if you try running the cables this way and just hang over seats initially, you can get the proof of concept and then tidy it up.

hope this helps you.

PS Nearly get full signal and unit locks on within seconds (Before, it took minutes and I had to hang out of drivers window to get a satellite lock Shocked ). Maybe this is because when one unlocks the car the 12v gets power and allows the SBG190 unit to get powered up prior to setting off.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2015 12:08pm by riteon.)
11-08-2015 12:04pm
jc74

(11-08-2015 12:04pm)riteon Wrote:  Hi JC,

hope this helps you.

PS Nearly get full signal and unit locks on within seconds (Before, it took minutes and I had to hang out of drivers window to get a satellite lock Shocked ). Maybe this is because when one unlocks the car the 12v gets power and allows the SBG190 unit to get powered up prior to setting off.

Ok thanks for the tip. I've given it a try and it seems to be a bit better, but not driven around yet so I need to give it a proper run before I know for sure.
16-08-2015 12:25pm