Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Retro fit after market Sat Nav to Evoque
Whale

Retro fit after market Sat Nav to Evoque

For all those Evoque lovers like me that couldnt afford the Sat Nav as an optional extra I have worked out a way to be able to use your after market Sat Nav on the front windscreen. It took me a while to realise (and thanks to this forum) that the front glass on my RR Evogue wouldnt allow the satalite signal to penetrate into te cabin to allow the Sat Nav to get a fix. I have the latest Garmin. My immediate thought was to buy a Sat Nav with an external antenna option - I searched every popular make and model and most companies have discountinued this option (in Australia anyway).

The secret is to fit a "GPS RE-Radiating Antenna" I ended up buying a "Pro Gin" SBG190 Gps Re-Radiating antenna over the net - it cost about $25 US. Money well woth spending. the only trick to fitting is to have the supplied external antenna as far a way as practicable from the GPS location. It is supplied with plenty of wiring loom to acheive this - the antenna is also magnetic and about the size of a black match box - I just placed it on the roof just where the rear the rear boot door opens and ran the wiring down the inside edge of the rubber seal - easy as. It boost its signal via 12 volt so I just plugged it into the boot 12 volt accessory port and ran the internal anttena under the floor mating. Honestly you wouldnt know it was there and it works.
I later tidied it up by adding another 12 Volt Cig Plug on the inside fuse area behind the existing 12 V accessory plug. It looks pretty neat and tidy.

Anyway guys my Evoque Pure is only 9 months old, diesel, white, with 19 inch wheels, day time run lights and rear/front parking assist. The best car I have ever owned. Very Happy
09-03-2014 08:20am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
carcamusa

RE: Retro fit after market Sat Nav to Evoque

Hi
You can put pictures of the installation of the antenna and cables.
where you purchased the device??
thanks
17-03-2014 09:55pm
Whale

Thanks for the tip carcamusa I am pretty busy at the moment with my business - but if you go on the net and google up "Pro Gin" by Iwashi and look for the model SBG-190 they will have all the info for you on it and how to do it. Really it pretty simple and the ext attenna is small and hardly noticeable. If you still have problems let me know and I will make the time to photograph it for you

cheers

Whale
18-03-2014 07:22am
carcamusa

thanks for your reply.
I already bought the antenna from Amazon.
If you have time I'm interested in a photo by placing the external antenna on the Evoque.
thanks
18-03-2014 02:33pm
Jeroma

(09-03-2014 08:20am)Whale Wrote:  For all those Evoque lovers like me that couldnt afford the Sat Nav as an optional extra I have worked out a way to be able to use your after market Sat Nav on the front windscreen. It took me a while to realise (and thanks to this forum) that the front glass on my RR Evogue wouldnt allow the satalite signal to penetrate into te cabin to allow the Sat Nav to get a fix. I have the latest Garmin. My immediate thought was to buy a Sat Nav with an external antenna option - I searched every popular make and model and most companies have discountinued this option (in Australia anyway).

The secret is to fit a "GPS RE-Radiating Antenna" I ended up buying a "Pro Gin" SBG190 Gps Re-Radiating antenna over the net - it cost about $25 US. Money well woth spending. the only trick to fitting is to have the supplied external antenna as far a way as practicable from the GPS location. It is supplied with plenty of wiring loom to acheive this - the antenna is also magnetic and about the size of a black match box - I just placed it on the roof just where the rear the rear boot door opens and ran the wiring down the inside edge of the rubber seal - easy as. It boost its signal via 12 volt so I just plugged it into the boot 12 volt accessory port and ran the internal anttena under the floor mating. Honestly you wouldnt know it was there and it works.
I later tidied it up by adding another 12 Volt Cig Plug on the inside fuse area behind the existing 12 V accessory plug. It looks pretty neat and tidy.

Anyway guys my Evoque Pure is only 9 months old, diesel, white, with 19 inch wheels, day time run lights and rear/front parking assist. The best car I have ever owned. Very Happy
-----------------------
I had the same problem with my Garmin, no signal inside the car. Strange enough my wife's TomTom works perfectly from exactly the same position on the dash.
As I have several GPS antennas, that I use in my Triumph TRs, I fitted one of them to the roof with Duck tape
but The problem was in fact to route the cable inside the car.
For the Evoque I will stay with Tom Tom, just have to find a proper holder to fit it just above the screen, this without inflicting any damage to the dash.....Crying

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
18-03-2014 04:59pm
ynottony

I bought the Pro Gin SBG190 Gps Re-Radiating antenna as I have problems with my portable GPS but I can't seem to position it correctly, keeps getting no signal still

anyone have any pics on how they installed it?
23-01-2015 04:29am
Whale

(23-01-2015 04:29am)ynottony Wrote:  I bought the Pro Gin SBG190 Gps Re-Radiating antenna as I have problems with my portable GPS but I can't seem to position it correctly, keeps getting no signal still

anyone have any pics on how they installed it?

Ynottony,

Sorry I dont have pictures of it installed on my Evoque I would go get some but it is raining cats and dogs here in SE Qld at the moment. I can walk you through it though:

!. I placed the magnetic black little box on the roof gutter at the Rear of the car, then ran the lead back into the luggage compartment via the luggage door - I hid most of the wiring under the rubber seal.

2. Plug the power cable into the 12 volt rear cargo area point.

3. Run the internal ariel (thin about 80 mm long)under the floor matting so that the ariel sits under the matting in the vicinity of where the front passenger's feet would sit.

4. Make sure your car is outside and the sky is visible from the little black box on the roof - turn the car to Aux mode or on, so that there is power to the unit

5. By rights after a minute it should locate the satellite transmissions and resend them back into the interior of the car to be picked up by your Sat Nav unit.

The secret is to ensure that the little black box of the resender unit is as far away as possible from the Sat Nav and the best position they recommend is the rear cargo area.

I hope this helps but I have been using this system with both Tom Tom and Garmin and has not let me down at all - it works
23-01-2015 05:50am
ynottony

cheers, I will give that a try.

Just another question about the internal ariel, does it reach the front passenger's seat?
23-01-2015 07:18am
Whale

(23-01-2015 07:18am)ynottony Wrote:  cheers, I will give that a try.

Just another question about the internal ariel, does it reach the front passenger's seat?

Yes it should have about 3 mts of wire for the internal ariel - just take it forward enough to sit just under the seat or or clear of it. I took the matting channel off both the rear and passenger front seat areas to run the cable in the channel and just srewed it all back on - ver easy and hides the wires.

cheers

Brad

(23-01-2015 07:18am)ynottony Wrote:  cheers, I will give that a try.

Yes it should have about 3 mts of wire for the internal ariel - just take it forward enough to sit just under the seat or or clear of it. I took the matting channel off both the rear and passenger front seat areas to run the cable in the channel and just srewed it all back on - ver easy and hides the wires.

cheers

Brad
(This post was last modified: 23-01-2015 07:35am by Whale.)
23-01-2015 07:35am
ynottony

Ok, have put the external receiver on the rear roof of the car and just dragged the power and internal Ariel to the middle to test and it seems to work but need to fix the wiring

However I want to plug the power at the back of the car instead but the internal Ariel is quite short like 1.5 metres or so, maybe will need to test it

I will take pics in a moment
24-01-2015 12:28am