Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Restoring interior plastic
Kimv

Somebody (my wife) has scuffed the plastic backside of the front seats with her pointy shoes... The scuffs are not that deep but they are lighter in color than the rest of the plastic and although they are not in a very obvious spot I tend to always look at them when I open the back door..

My wife has been debriefed about it and now I'm looking to restore the plastic. I've tried to just use a good plastic cleaner and gently buff the area but no luck. They kind of disappear when the plastic is moist but as soon as it dries up, there they are again.

I thought of trying some Gtechniq trim restorer or dash coating on them but those products seem more like protectors and not restorers. Does anyone have an idea that might work?

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Tech Pack, Santorini Black, Verve Interior with Ebony headlining, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Solar Attenuating Glass, Style 7 Alloys, Adaptive Dynamics.
16-03-2013 06:19pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

RE: Restoring interior plastic

Was it a 'debriefing' in the back that caused the issue in the first place ?! Wink

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
16-03-2013 06:26pm
Donny Dog

(16-03-2013 06:19pm)Kimv Wrote:  Somebody (my wife) has scuffed the plastic backside of the front seats with her pointy shoes... The scuffs are not that deep but they are lighter in color than the rest of the plastic and although they are not in a very obvious spot I tend to always look at them when I open the back door..

My wife has been debriefed about it and now I'm looking to restore the plastic. I've tried to just use a good plastic cleaner and gently buff the area but no luck. They kind of disappear when the plastic is moist but as soon as it dries up, there they are again.

I thought of trying some Gtechniq trim restorer or dash coating on them but those products seem more like protectors and not restorers. Does anyone have an idea that might work?

Careful application of a felt tip, with a bit of solvent on a cloth to hand to get the result you want?
16-03-2013 06:36pm
Kimv

(16-03-2013 06:26pm)cjfp Wrote:  Was it a 'debriefing' in the back that caused the issue in the first place ?! :wink:

While I was typing the description of my problem, the possibility of someone's imagination going ballistic crossed my mind... :)

(16-03-2013 06:36pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  Careful application of a felt tip, with a bit of solvent on a cloth to hand to get the result you want?

Is that a tested and proven technique?

16-03-2013 06:49pm
Donny Dog

(16-03-2013 06:49pm)Kimv Wrote:  While I was typing the description of my problem, the possibility of someone's imagination going ballistic crossed my mind... Smile

Is that a tested and proven technique?

I've used it successfully on black soft vinyl before, although not in a car, and on hard black plastic in a car. Obviously it takes skill and a good eye, plus ensuring that you work in the light that the location will be seen in/viewed from. If the mark is fine, you'll need a felt tip of similar fineness. Also, you need to check in advance that you can smear/smudge/remove the felt tip you are using with whatever solvent you use to get the desired effect. (If you use normal non-permanent felt tip, a bit of spit will do, but obviously you won't then be able to clean the surface with water). No warranty offered, though!!
16-03-2013 06:56pm
vinny

(16-03-2013 06:26pm)cjfp Wrote:  Was it a 'debriefing' in the back that caused the issue in the first place ?! Wink

That's why I should of went for the black headliner the footprints show too much on the ivory

My order- fuji white sd4 manual coupe,tech pack,xenons,style 6 20's,pano roof,privacy,front fogs,rear camera,folding mirrors,ebony int/ivory headliner,dec delivery.(still waiting!) Collected 14/01/2012
NOW SOLD as of 26/07/14 Very Happy
Now driving Audi SQ5, everything the Evoque should of been.
16-03-2013 08:38pm
enigma

Hi,

Give Chips Away or a similar company a call, they willl restore the plastic and they will visit your home or office too.
17-03-2013 11:23am
WB
WB

Depending on how bad it is a permanent trim restorer like Gtechniq C4 will do the job if you have some already however its quite expensive stuff and it may be cheaper to replace the seat back - surprisingly for LR some plastic parts are very reasonably priced.
17-03-2013 04:20pm