Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Reset advice for Stop Start
IvorRedOne

Reset advice for Stop Start

Guys, having an issue with my Eco Stop/Start. For the past several weeks now, my car remains idling when stopped and doesn't shutdown.

The car does journeys of more than 30 miles several times per week and so I do not think this is a battery charging issue but may be wrong.

Anyone got any advice on what could be causing the problem?
02-09-2018 05:19pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Koidream

RE: Reset advice for Stop Start

In almost 4 years my RRE stopped maybe 20 times. After a year a battery is replaced and guess what? The car stopped another 5 times before the system gave up.
I am pretty sure, the start/stop system of RRE is one of the many things that look nice on paper, but in real life it s$cks.

So, don't focus on the start/ stop because it will drive you crazy Wink

BMW 315
BMW 518
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8D
BMW 320i
BMW R100RT
Triumph Spitfire 1500
Rover 623 Si
BMW 518i
Alfa Romeo 156 1.9JTD
VOLVO S60 D5
Range Rover Evoque TD4

[Image: 343895.png]
02-09-2018 06:54pm
PhilSkill

Have to agree, a weaker battery as it gets older, usage patterns, air-con all affect if it works or not, just ignore it, or turn it off then you know it wont turn off reliably!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
02-09-2018 07:53pm
Koidream

When a battery gets older?
In the first year Start/Stop worked 20 times. Then the battery get changed.
In that week S/S worked another 5 times.
Don't blaim it on the battery, because in my case it isn't due to an "old" battery. Unless you consider a 1 week old battery an old battery Wink

BMW 315
BMW 518
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8D
BMW 320i
BMW R100RT
Triumph Spitfire 1500
Rover 623 Si
BMW 518i
Alfa Romeo 156 1.9JTD
VOLVO S60 D5
Range Rover Evoque TD4

[Image: 343895.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2018 08:28pm by Koidream.)
02-09-2018 08:28pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I’ve never had any issues with stop start except in very cold and very hot weather when the ambient temperature stops it from working. Also if my car wasn’t used for 3-4 months it would never work until I had driven it about 20 miles then it would cut in fine. Over on RRS forums people have been finding the when they change the main battery sometimes the S/S will fail and it requires a reset of the Battery Management System to get the stop/start going again.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
03-09-2018 05:29am
couplands

Our MY15 Evoque doesn't often stop/start. It even had a software upgrade at its second service which was meant to make the system less sensitive to a low battery condition. It seemed to work ok on the way home, but rarely works at all these days.

We've done some long trips and even then it doesn't kick in.

We recently hired a Golf, that stopped/started within a few hundred metres of driving off.

cheers

simon

ps My Defender doesn't stop/start either...Wink Well most of the time...lol
03-09-2018 04:57pm
Stilolos

My 2014 worked perfectly for what must of been a year. I agree that during cold mornings it didn’t operate till the engine warmed up. However it has been a feature that is useless now. Occasionally after a very long trip, it will work for a day or two and then pack up again. I’ve been to the dealers and every time they just recharge the battery and it’s fine again for about a week then dead again. They say it’s because the battery hasn’t charged enough and it needs to be at 85% to be working properly. I have an aftermarket tracked fitted to my vehicle and I think that might be draining the battery.

Personally I don’t miss the stop start. Paired with the sluggish start, it is dangerous when attempting to clear a blind junction with fast moving traffic. My bro has a 2011 Merc E350 and wow, the stop start is instant and when you hit the gas, it goes like a rocket! The evoque crawls off and then a surge of power. The hesitancy and delay from when you floor it and when it actually moves is so so slow.

Anyways, the dealer also told me that the battery can be trickle charged and that should cure the problem.
03-09-2018 11:27pm
morey000

Same experience here. Worked for a while when car was new. Took it in after 10,000 miles- and at that point it hadn't start/stopped in months. They replaced the battery... worked a handful of times that week, and now, once again, not for months.

2016. Still under warranty.
30-10-2018 10:30pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

An interesting aside from this issue - use of Stop/Start a lot is now being highlighted as a contributing factor to the oil dilution problem in Disco5, RRS L494, FFRR and Disco Sports - odd that nobody on this forum has mentioned the issue (manifested by the time/distance to next service plummeting daily as more and more diesel gets dropped into the sump and dilutes the lube oil) even though Evoque has the same engines as DS and the 2.0ltr D5/RRS

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
31-10-2018 10:08am
jcarrot

My 2014 Evoque worked fine the first year, hardly ever engaged for the next 2 and a half years and then after a software update worked most of the time until I sold it 9 months later.
This was on the original battery.
I didn’t really mind whether it worked or not, as one of the posts on here remarked there was always a delay when starting off.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2018 11:00am by jcarrot.)
01-11-2018 10:52am