Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Reduced Performance Warning Light
Donny Dog

RE: Reduced Performance Warning Light

(13-02-2012 06:54pm)j7david Wrote:  I had a similar issue after filling up with 56.85L (so 3.15L left in tank, I suppose, which is ~0.7 gallons). After filling up, went straight onto dual carriageway and then red "restricted performance" triangle appeared. Didn't seem to have any effect on car, cruising at 60mph-ish, but pulled over a few miles down the road at next safe place to do so, turned engine off, left it a minute, and turned back on again -- no warning messages at all. And I hadn't pressed the "[OK] to clear" when the first message was there.

I called LRA who said that if there are no messages then it's safe to drive and not to worry about it if the message doesn't come back. They said if I want I could get someone to come and look at it, but they weren't concerned, but to definitely get it looked at if it happens again.

That was when the car had done 427 miles; it's now done 1700ish and I've had no problems and equally haven't asked them to come and do any diagnostics on it.

I'd hope/presume that if they say it's okay if the light doesn't come back, then it is.

Reading this post about the low fuel levels is reassuring.

Presumably you filled up almost immediately? The self-cancellation of the warning might be down to the float position when it is borderline (with fuel moving due to gradient, acceleration/deceleration, or cornering, like a warning light flickering on and off).
13-02-2012 09:59pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
j7david

(13-02-2012 09:59pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  Presumably you filled up almost immediately? The self-cancellation of the warning might be down to the float position when it is borderline (with fuel moving due to gradient, acceleration/deceleration, or cornering, like a warning light flickering on and off).

I didn't have any warning light at all until a minute or two AFTER filling up.
14-02-2012 11:30pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

With modern electronic systems sometimes when they do their self check on pressing the starter they "think" there is a problem, flag it up and log it in the ECU log file. If you get a warning light/ message come up while driving never ignore it, if it is safe, pull over and switch off the engine. Wait for 45 seconds/1 minute and try restarting. Often you will find the reboot of all the systems will clear the warning but when you arrive at the dealership to express concern, when they read the fault log file there is nothing there.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
15-02-2012 09:55am
Marconi2

The restricted performance warning display can come on for many issues relating to engine and gearbox but the most popular one is relating to the DPF, which in its self is not the fault but seems to relate to the pressure sensor that monitors the inlet and outlet pressure differential to the DPF. Here are my findings. My dynamic is a last of line MY15 and 3600 miles on it came up on the dash display just as I was overtaking a lorry on the m6 south yesterday, not good in heavy rain spray . Luckily managed to drop back and get in on the hard shoulder. Would not reset so managed to drive it to nearest services and pulled off. Pressed the Spanner button in the roof (impressed with this system) and landrover assist responded but as it was a long day and was still 200 miles from home I opted for the recovery, every cloud has a silver lining I didn't have to drive and I saved the diesel. They sent out tech to me this morning first thing, he plugged it in and identified the DPF pressure sensor as the cause. But here is the kicker! Guess what he not only carrys stock of the sensor to change on JLR'S recommendations but guess what , it's a type B part number ...modified! Also he told the car system that the mod part is also fitted. Great car fixed.....but why wasn't the part changed on recall or when it has been in dealers before....typical JLR. I asked the tech what other parts they were told to carry, only 2, this one and the intercooler hose which splits, but only tend to be on high mileage cars. The sensor he changes at least 1 a month....

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-03-2016 08:19am
harry

(02-03-2016 08:19am)Marconi2 Wrote:  I asked the tech what other parts they were told to carry, only 2, this one and the intercooler hose which splits, but only tend to be on high mileage cars. The sensor he changes at least 1 a month....

the hose exploded on mine TD4 (2012) with 40.000 km on the clock when 1,5 year old. service said it is a quite common issue on this engine...
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2016 08:27am by harry.)
02-03-2016 08:26am
ExMerc

(02-03-2016 08:19am)Marconi2 Wrote:  The restricted performance warning display can come on for many issues relating to engine and gearbox but the most popular one is relating to the DPF, which in its self is not the fault but seems to relate to the pressure sensor that monitors the inlet and outlet pressure differential to the DPF. Here are my findings. My dynamic is a last of line MY15 and 3600 miles on it came up on the dash display just as I was overtaking a lorry on the m6 south yesterday, not good in heavy rain spray . Luckily managed to drop back and get in on the hard shoulder. Would not reset so managed to drive it to nearest services and pulled off. Pressed the Spanner button in the roof (impressed with this system) and landrover assist responded but as it was a long day and was still 200 miles from home I opted for the recovery, every cloud has a silver lining I didn't have to drive and I saved the diesel. They sent out tech to me this morning first thing, he plugged it in and identified the DPF pressure sensor as the cause. But here is the kicker! Guess what he not only carrys stock of the sensor to change on JLR'S recommendations but guess what , it's a type B part number ...modified! Also he told the car system that the mod part is also fitted. Great car fixed.....but why wasn't the part changed on recall or when it has been in dealers before....typical JLR. I asked the tech what other parts they were told to carry, only 2, this one and the intercooler hose which splits, but only tend to be on high mileage cars. The sensor he changes at least 1 a month....

:::::::::::::::::::::::::;;;;;;;;

I have just experienced the Restricted Performance issue, (mileage 20k, nearly 2yrs old). LR assist arrived in about 1 hr and diagnosed a detached intercooler pipe from my description of what happened. (A sound like a backfire followed by loss of performance whilst climbing a steep hill). The pipe was re-attached in about 1 hr. The LR man told me it was quite common and on those cars with higher mileage (over 60k) it is common for the pipe to split.
13-05-2016 01:33pm
mjab

(13-05-2016 01:33pm)ExMerc Wrote:  :::::::::::::::::::::::::;;;;;;;;

I have just experienced the Restricted Performance issue, (mileage 20k, nearly 2yrs old). LR assist arrived in about 1 hr and diagnosed a detached intercooler pipe from my description of what happened. (A sound like a backfire followed by loss of performance whilst climbing a steep hill). The pipe was re-attached in about 1 hr. The LR man told me it was quite common and on those cars with higher mileage (over 60k) it is common for the pipe to split.

I used to have an X type and I had the jubilee clip that holds the intercooler hose on snap 3 times through corrosion. Seems on that car it is down where all the crud comes up off the road and is also a common thing. Hose itself never split, just the cheap clips that would rust easily.
13-05-2016 04:06pm
PhilSkill

Well just done best of 2000 miles in the last week, all round north of England and on route home when just as I got onto the M1 and started to accelerate, up came restricted performance, no change to engine note but would not let me accelerate hard, was just starting to rain, so took it easy and managed the last 25 miles home. 1/2 tank, but had been driving for 6 hours with only a 1/2 hour stop.

Reset seems to have cured it so far, but haven't done anything more than round the block, with no message.

See how it goes, but guess if it comes back its the notorious lambda or DPF sensor as engine ran beautifully all the way, as far as know I still have the original sensor.

Still, managed 40.5mpg, doing 70 Wink

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2016 05:21pm by PhilSkill.)
08-06-2016 05:17pm
PhilSkill

DPF Pressure Sensor change was required, part No LR080117, also required a re-calibration as Marconi mentioned above.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
14-06-2016 11:54am
haroosh

I just had the restricted performance message last night and the very helpful LR assist chap identified it as a perished DPF pressure hose this morning. Apparently a very common fault and a nice easy fix Smile
15-09-2016 11:39am