Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Recall notice
Tcousins

Recall notice

Anyone else get a recall notice for "the 9 speed gear box harness crimp"? They say that the vehicle could suddenly shift into neutral without warning. Apparently there is no "software fix" for it yet, but they expect there to be one in early November. Is it possible to have a software fix for "a gear box harness crimp" issue. That sounds mechanical to me, but then, I have no idea what all this means anyway. Anybody else know more? Anybody have this problem happen to them? Also, from the mailing it sounds like the "software fix" will initiate a limp mode when this condition is detected. This doesn't sound like a fix to me. Can't they just fix the gear box harness crimp?
24-10-2016 10:18pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sarcastrix

RE: Recall notice

It's been dragging on a few months now and there's no fix.

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-ZF-Recall...ight=crimp

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
25-10-2016 03:53pm
Tcousins

(25-10-2016 03:53pm)Sarcastrix Wrote:  It's been dragging on a few months now and there's no fix.

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-ZF-Recall...ight=crimp

Can't they just replace the "crimp"?
25-10-2016 04:05pm
Sarcastrix

ZF doesn't recommend dealers attempt to fix the crimp and a bad crimp cannot be detected by any cable or harness automated tester unless the crimp affects continuity. For instance, if the crimp grabs mostly insulation instead of wire, the resistance will go up. In this case, the transmission sensor clusters may have insufficient crimps in the transmission wire harness, and as a result, the transmission may unexpectedly shift to neutral.

Issues with the 9HP and 8-speed transmissions have been known for years. A number of software updates have attempted to address various problems, making me think there is a fundamental hardware issue as the complaints span across a number of automakers.

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
(This post was last modified: 26-10-2016 10:51am by Sarcastrix.)
26-10-2016 10:49am