Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rear DRL's
PhilSkill

RE: Rear DRL's

The Volvo I drive puts Headlights, Rear lights, and DRL's (In Orange???) on always. No Option.
(Ok dealer can disable and insurance company can fleece me etc so No Option...)

Having some form of light front and rear distinguishes you from parked cars and lets people know the vehicle is manned (or Womanned for Political Correctness) and likely to move. I don't agree it should put the headlights on always but sidelights and/or DRL's yes.

By the way, Orange DRL's at the side just by the orange indicators are THE most stupid thing i've ever come across on a UK car, I don't care what the statistics men for insurance companies or Volvo say...

It has Halogens and you wouldn't believe how many bulbs I've changed! Only consolation is Volvo made it extreemly easy to change the bulbs. (i guess cause they knew your bulb burn out rate is much higher)

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2012 04:31pm by PhilSkill.)
03-05-2012 04:28pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The orange side reflector lights on the sides of an RRS have lamp holders in them but no lamps.............. those are fitted for the USA/Canadian markets! I had the reflectors taken out when I had some Hawke modifications done to my headlight units

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
03-05-2012 04:58pm
Donny Dog

I don't fully understand DRLs - I assume that they are provided so that others can see you coming, in, presumably, inferior visibility? If so, wouldn't the risk of someone not seeing you from the rear (until it was too late) be just as great? In other words, why only illuminate two of the four corners?

Edit: I've just been and checked my car, and both front and rear DRLs are on as soon as I unlock the car (I've never looked before). The front lights dimmed to just the outline light after a short interval, while the rear ones stayed on. Do the rear ones go off after a while? I really am confused now!
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2012 05:42pm by Donny Dog.)
03-05-2012 05:32pm
jpleclef

(03-05-2012 05:32pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  I don't fully understand DRLs - I assume that they are provided so that others can see you coming, in, presumably, inferior visibility? If so, wouldn't the risk of someone not seeing you from the rear (until it was too late) be just as great? In other words, why only illuminate two of the four corners?

Edit: I've just been and checked my car, and both front and rear DRLs are on as soon as I unlock the car (I've never looked before). The front lights dimmed to just the outline light after a short interval, while the rear ones stayed on. Do the rear ones go off after a while? I really am confused now!

I think once you start the engine and take you're foot off the break the lights at the back of the car goes off - however as I haven't taken delivery yet I am not sure Tongue Out

On Order: Pure SD4, Santorini/Almond Espresso, Style Pack, Tech Pack, Rear camera, Park assist, Xenon's, Privacy glass, Pano Roof. Order date: 30/01/12. Estimated Delivery date 25/06/12.
03-05-2012 07:14pm
XFullFatTim

Just tried it on mine and as soon as you start the engine they go out.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
03-05-2012 07:16pm
PhilSkill

And would you believe it, headlight gone in the Volvo tonight again... Mad

I think I need LED bulbs... might have to defect to the C30 forum for a moment... Wink

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
03-05-2012 07:33pm
XFullFatTim

I used to be a member on there when it first started and I was thinking of buying one

03-05-2012 07:39pm
J77

The buses at work don't have DRLs. Are there to different regulations for car and commercial vehicles?

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
03-05-2012 08:49pm
PhilSkill

Ended up a trip to Halfords... Got accosted on the way in so I asked for an H7 bulb... looks at me blankly... why do they insist on taking your reg and details just to sell you a bulb...? after wasting 10 mins of my life looking up the car he said you need a 477... hands me the pack and said that's the one you want, I said yes look it says H7! Rolling Eyes

So DRL's on, rears on, headlights off... please! Unless I need to light up the way ahead.

03-05-2012 09:30pm
leonvh

It was the first thing that I changed in the settings of my Audi (using a VCDS cable and software). I think I had to change it to the Scandinavian lights-setting to also have the rear-lights on when DRL is active. Combinations with the indicator lights were also possible.

Surely something similar must also be possible on a RR/LR?

Weather conditions do not have to bad to benefit from DRL's: Especially when the sun is low in the morning/evening, cars with rear DRL's are much better visible.
13-08-2012 12:06pm