Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Re-mapping engine
Nick73

Re-mapping engine

Has anyone used a re-mapping chip on their car? I found this site http://www.chipexpress.com/products/3340/ it sounds simple enough and they have them for all models.
Any thoughts?

2015 Fuji white td4 9 speed auto, clear pack, tech pack, climate pack,pano roof, electric tailgate, folding mirrors.
Expect delivery somewhere between begin of Jan to middle of feb..who bloody knows?
28-10-2014 11:56pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JavierBayArea

RE: Re-mapping engine

(28-10-2014 11:56pm)Nick73 Wrote:  Has anyone used a re-mapping chip on their car? I found this site http://www.chipexpress.com/products/3340/ it sounds simple enough and they have them for all models.
Any thoughts?

these are bull$hit mostly. Not sure about this particular one but i'd be great if it was true Very Happy
29-10-2014 12:20am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

If you treasure your engine warranty don't even think about doing it until the warranty has expired. Don't believe the claptrap that all the modifiers trot out about them being undetectable or removable as any condition outside the "normal" tune is recorded in the ECU log and flags up when the car goes in for a service. If you want advice about them then we have a member Pete Bell (Bell Automotive) who writes bespoke remaps for all Land Rover products

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
29-10-2014 08:19am
PhilSkill

Agreed Tim, and Pete Bell does over OBD port re-mapping, with properly tuned engine maps rather than "fooling" the ECU with throttle sensor variations.

LR has issued a clear statement saying any aftermarket mods to engine mapping will immediately invalidate warranty on any Engine or engine related components, such as your DPF. The ECU may well record differences from Demand to Actual throttle response, so could be traced if suspected.

As for Economy improvement... if LR could get better economy and emissions they would be working tirelessly at it. The only things these units can try to exploit are the differing regulations...

Just look at the Web Site's reasons they say they can do this...

Many countries, for example, impose emission controls which are far more rigorous than those we have in the UK.
I read this as, so our unit will Increase your emissions

Other countries relate their vehicle taxation systems to power output rather than engine size.
So engine power can be increased.. but with more Emissions

Some, like the UK, impose higher taxation for different emission levels.
So the Emissions have been kept down for tax reasons, and our unit will increase Emissions

In many cases power is deliberately restricted for future use.
This statement says nothing, cars are designed to current regulation.

Finally the manufacturers themselves often produce several different performance variants of a given model.Yes this is true, but the taxation class is based on emissions (see above), so your emissions will increase, the ECU will be measuring things based on the setup in the ECU not the mods caused by this unit and so likely not dealing properly with it

If your Emissions increase, so does the waste in your exhaust.. and so does your risk of DPF failure.

So, Yes you'll get more power, but you'll also be putting more strain on components, possibly beyond the limit they are designed to take, and therefore increase the risk of premature failure.

With Pete's work he has mapped the engine properly on a Dyno and it's inbuilt into the ECU function rather than fooling the ECU. But either way this would still risk losing you your warranty.

Saying this though, many people do use these units and are happy with them, they do change the way the car drives, but you need to be happy you accept there are risks.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
29-10-2014 01:03pm
Nick73

thanks guys...yes best to keep the warranty and not risk it.

2015 Fuji white td4 9 speed auto, clear pack, tech pack, climate pack,pano roof, electric tailgate, folding mirrors.
Expect delivery somewhere between begin of Jan to middle of feb..who bloody knows?
31-10-2014 11:46am
cutter7

Ive just turned over 71k miles using a TDI tuning box, i installed it at 1k miles and have had no problems at all.

When LRA did a diagnostic check about a year ago, due to water behind the rear view camera the only fault code found was for LED bulbs i had installed and nothing at all to show that i was using a tuning box.

My warranty expires on the 9/12/14 and i will leave it connected.

31-10-2014 12:25pm
PhilSkill

Thanks that's good to know Cutter, since mines out of Warranty soon... Wink

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
(This post was last modified: 31-10-2014 12:40pm by PhilSkill.)
31-10-2014 12:39pm
cutter7

(31-10-2014 12:39pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Thanks that's good to know Cutter, since mines out of Warranty soon... Wink

Hi Phil,
I must say that i must be one of the lucky ones with an early model, no squeaks, rattles etc, and so far has been a pleasure to drive over the years.

Just the other day in a local car park in a queue, and the guy by my side said "what do you think of it then" and when i told him that it was three years old, he replied "didn't realise they had been out that long" Laughing how time flies..

31-10-2014 01:24pm
PhilSkill

Hi Cutter (also known as RAC to us Wink )

Yes although I've had my share of silly little things like a couple of rattles which ended up in the headlining out fix, it's been brilliant, I think there's something special about the early ones Wink , although my mileage is nowhere close to what you've done!

Yes when I discuss it with anyone, if I mention it's due it's MOT shortly, they look at me in amazement that it needs one!

Where did that time go...

31-10-2014 01:41pm