Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Range Rover Velar
Donny Dog

RE: Range Rover Velar

(23-02-2017 08:55pm)Evo-king Wrote:  I'm find the Velar an interesting proposition.

The RR & RRS were/are too big for my wife, I tried hard to convince her. We had an RRS Autobiography 4.2 V8 as a loaner when our Evoque had to have warranty work carried out by our dealer, she refused to drive it.

Next step F-Pace, she didn't like the styling, ETTA.

I'm hoping this one hits the spot, although I'm determined to let LR and new buyers iron out new car/production issues before I contemplate buying one.

Have you thought about a trade-in? (For the wife, that is!)Wink
02-03-2017 08:42pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Velar looks fantastic but is wallet numbingly expensive, V6 engines and Airsuspension on some models, TR2 is option as is locking rear diff. It's very much more of an RRS Coupe than a Grand Evoque and when I specced one as close to my RRS as i could get it the price was £82,000 which is more than £10,000 more than replacing my RRS HSE Dynamic with the spec spec again............. and the RRS has low ranges and transfer box that the Velar cannot be specced with. Looks like if I can afford one it will be one of the lower spec V6's with no air springs or TR2
Or a 2.0ltr Ingenium Petrol - I will look for a test drive in the bigger and heavier Disco5 with the Ingenium before I make my mind up, if D5 with the 2.0ltr is OK then I might replace the Sport with a 2.0 Velar as the Velar is lighter than the D5. I dread to think how much LR will be looking for for the SVR V8 Velar or the PHEV version, suspect the SVR will be more than the RRS SVR.
Impressed with the Velar's new cabin and screens not impressed by the awful dull colours for both the outside and inside or the price of optional extras for which LR seems to have gone down the Porsche and BMW route with regard to even worse overcharging than at present.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 07:27am by XFullFatTim.)
03-03-2017 07:20am
bigmac3161

Range Rover Velar

It's a fine looking motor but the prices are just freighting. Really thought it was gonna be a Q5 rival but it's mecan turbo money Sad
03-03-2017 08:18am
Evo-king

Tim, I've probably spent too many hours pouring over the specs and options in recent days and feel I could probably outwit my sales guy.

I've done the cost comparisons with a F-Pace which my wife hates and the RRS which is in her opinion too big.

I cannot beleive the huge jump in price of the base Velar 180 engine to the D240 engine, close to £9k!!

Also looked at the petrol version, given the recent publicity and Government pressure to move from diesel to petrol. I think Air Suspension is not an option with the petrol version.

So my current favourite is an SE R-Dynamic D300. Indus Silver with Black Contrast roof.

I agree interior and exterior choices do seem to be on the slim side.

So will be more than happy to wait it out until Sept 18.

I just don't want to be a test driver for this new car.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
06-03-2017 12:40am
doug

(06-03-2017 12:40am)Evo-king Wrote:  I just don't want to be a test driver for this new car.

I'm sure you bought your first RRE around the same time as me. Which would have been in the first few months of production Whistle

As for your wife not liking the FP, should have gone to spec savers comes to mind Very Happy

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
06-03-2017 02:53pm
Evoqueen

The Velar definitely caught my attention. I built one at the site comparable to my HSE Dynamic and the final price brought a tear to my eye. I'll wait until some of the features are bundled and the price becomes more realistic. I got most of those things bundled with my Evoque. I cannot justify the cost against that carte blanche build.

2016 Evoque HSE Dynamic, Santorini Black with Cirrus Grey interior, coated in Ceramic Pro 9H Very Happy
10-03-2017 11:16pm