Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Range Rover Evoque - Stolen to Order
woodhouse

RE: Range Rover Evoque - Stolen to Order

I have also got one of the trackers, not for the insurance discount (I was offered £40 discount if I had a Thacham approved tracker but the annual subscription fee for the tracker was £120!) I did my sums and went for the back2you.com tracker advertised in Top Gear Magazine which has no subscription fee it cost me £195 been well please with it so far and it is good to hear the police can still locate it.
18-06-2012 09:04pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Valeter

(18-06-2012 07:31pm)Kentboy Wrote:  The police also said the robbers had no idea we were on holiday and would have come in for the keys anyway. It was foreign guys delivering charity clothing bags identifying the car and address and selling it on for a gang to collect.

Given the chance on my new Evoque I would get gap insurance but NOT a tracker.

SCUM

Probably Lithuanians again.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
18-06-2012 11:46pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bobthefish

I would consider getting a tracker, just not the official "Tracker" system. That way you don't have to rely on the Police, and you can decide yourself as to whether you want your car back, or whether you want to find the scrotes that took it. You can get tracker systems relatively cheaply that will continuously track your vehicle via GPS.

I don't see what was wrong with the system I had in my old Peugeot 306, it had a factory fitted immobiliser keypad, you couldn't have started it without knowing the code, stealing the keys wouldn't have helped.
20-06-2012 11:48am
deadliner

(18-06-2012 05:58pm)Griff449 Wrote:  I wouldn't want mine back if it was pinched.......
And you would want to wait another 6 - 8 months for new one?

Dynamic TD4, Fuji White, Verve, automatic, privacy glass, style 4 19, rear cam, front-pdc, seat heating, adaptive xenons. (delivered 14.6.)
20-06-2012 01:54pm
Mudi1

I have a tracker fitted, not just for the return of what is ours, but so that the thieves cannot have their own way and take what they want. Ok so they may wreck the car, but they will have wasted their time and will not be paid by the unscrupulous buyer either.
They will also probably not return for the repaired or replacement vehicle that they know we would get, knowing the disadvantage of a tracker and that ours has one.
20-06-2012 02:16pm
paulus599

(18-06-2012 07:31pm)Kentboy Wrote:  It had been stolen to order, they broke in through the Anglian double glazed, eight point security locking door with no problem (see break euro lock on you tube).

A little off topic this, but I'm actually a Locksmith and the locks on most double glazed doors are an absolute joke. Suppliers always make a huge thing of how many locking points they have, problem as Kentboy states, is that the actual cylinder is always the weak link. As an example I can get into one of these doors in less than 20 seconds.
I'd urge anyone who has Upvc, or the later composite doors, to investigate changing the current stock cylinder to one of the anti-pick, anti-drill, anti-bump, 'snapsafe' types. Also if funds allow, replace the handles with the armoured type which protect the cylinder from attack.

Just don't loose your keys afterwards tho, it'll be an absolute bu**er to get into, even for a locksmith! Confused

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
Now: Evoque SD4 Coupe
Gone: TTS Roadster
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Mercedes SLK
20-06-2012 02:43pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I was asked yesterday by the company who provide security for my car and house why my car had not moved, they need it moved to send it a software upgrade for the security system as this can only be done when it is moving! I told them about this thread on the forum and now they have put the car on a heightened risk of theft watch for no extra charge.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 20-06-2012 03:22pm by XFullFatTim.)
20-06-2012 03:20pm
ami_evo

Interesting thread, I always thought car theft wouldn't be as prevalent in the UK as in continental Europe. Stolen cars usually end up in eastern Europe or even further east, where everyone drives on right.
21-06-2012 07:20pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

We used to have an Empire and there is a huge market for RHD cars in India, Pakistan, Malaysia, Nigeria, Kenya in fact in any of theose countries where there are huge taxes on new, imported cars. Used UK sourced stolen cars fill the gap! I would guess tat the container ship I am sailing in to West Africa has a few containers stuffed with a Range Rover, Range Rover Sport or Disco4 stolen to order on board.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 21-06-2012 07:26pm by XFullFatTim.)
21-06-2012 07:25pm
Kentboy

(20-06-2012 01:54pm)deadliner Wrote:  And you would want to wait another 6 - 8 months for new one?

Believe me after its been stolen it never has the same appeal as before. In my situation the car was almost three years old so waiting six months for a NEW car would have been worth it. I do agree though that anything that prevents the scum getting away with it is very attractive.

Evoque Prestige SD4, Barolo Black contrast white roof, Ambiance Upholstery with Figured Macassar wood insert, Privecy glass, Lux Pack, 20" Style 6 Alloys, Spare Wheel. Ordered 10th March estimated completion date 6th July.
21-06-2012 10:10pm