Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Range Rover All-Wheel-Drive system
denis pelletier

Range Rover All-Wheel-Drive system

I was surprised by the lack of controls some AWD systems demonstrate when two of the 4 wheels are free spinning (on ice for example). I own a Lexus and I now realize that the AWD
is not at all as capable as I first thought.
I realize that the AWD theme is broad and highly technical and after reviewing some of the most popular AWD cars (Lexus, Audi, Subaru, Acura, BMW, Range Rover) I concluded that Acura, BMW and Range Rover seem to have decent systems when it comes to "free wheeling" situations. (There are quite a few videos on youtube, frankly ambarrasing for the likes of Lexus and Audi). The one that is most impressive is Subaru that can handle up to 3 free-wheeling wheels out of 4 and move up a hill!
I would be interested to learn more about the Range Rover (Evoque) AWD system. Has there been a comparison of the AWD system with other platforms? How does it compare to the best systems out there?
This issue with the AWD is a deal breaker for me when it comes to the Q5 and Lexus RX350. I am considering the Evoque Prestige

Here is link for the Lexus, Acura and Audi comparison. It is a similar test that I have often seen the Evoque handle without problem; 20 degree uphill with one side of the car on ice.
24-09-2011 06:07pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Range Rover All-Wheel-Drive system

It's all down to the traction control system that they use. The clever systems brake the wheels that have lost grip, using the ABS system to sense slippage and send the power to the wheels with the grip. The Audi in that video also did something that is extremely dangerous, getting the car cross slope which as well as causing the slide could also cause the car to roll over. If you ever attend a Land Rover Experience Centre they show you a party trick that the modern cars can do that Defender cannot do - the cross axle situation with 2 diagonally opposite wheels "flying". If the Defender were not fitted with the optional traction control it would get stuck with all the power sent to the two flying wheels, the modern cars with electronic systems just brake the flying wheels and send the power to where the grip is and drive off. That is one of the reasons for the second little terrapod humpy bit, to get the car balanced on 2 wheels and stop it then drive off

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
24-09-2011 07:08pm
denis pelletier

(24-09-2011 07:08pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  It's all down to the traction control system that they use. The clever systems brake the wheels that have lost grip, using the ABS system to sense slippage and send the power to the wheels with the grip. The Audi in that video also did something that is extremely dangerous, getting the car cross slope which as well as causing the slide could also cause the car to roll over. If you ever attend a Land Rover Experience Centre they show you a party trick that the modern cars can do that Defender cannot do - the cross axle situation with 2 diagonally opposite wheels "flying". If the Defender were not fitted with the optional traction control it would get stuck with all the power sent to the two flying wheels, the modern cars with electronic systems just brake the flying wheels and send the power to where the grip is and drive off. That is one of the reasons for the second little terrapod humpy bit, to get the car balanced on 2 wheels and stop it then drive off
I have seen numerous videos of the Evoque on the terrapod. I never realized how demanding this maneuver was for most vehicles. Traction control, body rigidity all play a very important role. In fact I have seen the Audi Q5 fail the terrapod test. It got stuck on top and could not get past the point where the two opposite x-wheels where suspended in the air. BMW seems to be doing alot better with their x-drive system.
Today I checked the Q5 MY2012; beautiful car, right size, $5000 cheaper than RR Evoque but I can't get past the fact that it has a flawed AWD system.
I will get myself a firenze red evoque in the prestige trim! According to the delarship in Montreal, the car could be here early January.
24-09-2011 07:38pm
rchrdleigh

Having driven both an Evoque and an Audi Q5 on a test track I would not even consider the Q5 as an option.
Evoque has a highly capable 4 wheel drive system which as previous posters have stated will cope admirably with two wheels off the ground and still let you move. I saw an Evoque going through an axle twister at one of the Experience Centres and even with two wheels off the ground it went through the obstacle.
24-09-2011 09:11pm
Gorjan

The two wheels in the air thing is not such a tough thing to do as it seems for many 4wd systems these days (except Audi...):

Colima Lime TD4 Pure.
Tech Pack, Pano roof, Auto....
24-09-2011 09:49pm
mark_n

I think it's wrong to think of the Audi Q5 as flawed. It has a set of capabilities and is built to a price. The Evoque is more capable but more expensive. It's unfortunate that the ignorant press don't compare like with like before shouting from the roof-tops that the RRE is over-priced.

The Subaru 4WD system is more basic than the RRE but still works quite well, it's problem is lack of ground clearance which can leave the car beached.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
24-09-2011 10:33pm
Jonathon555

I think the Evoque is well covered

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
24-09-2011 10:45pm
denis pelletier

(24-09-2011 10:33pm)mark_n Wrote:  I think it's wrong to think of the Audi Q5 as flawed. It has a set of capabilities and is built to a price. The Evoque is more capable but more expensive. It's unfortunate that the ignorant press don't compare like with like before shouting from the roof-tops that the RRE is over-priced.

The Subaru 4WD system is more basic than the RRE but still works quite well, it's problem is lack of ground clearance which can leave the car beached.

Pound for pound, feature for feature, the Evoque is the most expensive in its category, at least in Canada not sure in the UK. But that's the price to pay to drive a Range Rover. Here is how I feel about the competition when compared to the Evoque:

Vehicle ------ Design/Appearance ------- Off road performance ------- Comfort/Cockpit
Q5 Smile Crying Very Happy
X3 Crying Smile Sad
RX350 Sad Crying Very Happy
Evoque Bow down Bow down Confused:
24-09-2011 11:04pm
Evoqess

Haha, I like that the Evoque gets the bows Denis!
It's interesting. A Subaru salesperson told me that the Subaru and Audi Quattro systems reign supreme but I think he was talking about everyday driving in Vancouver in the winter on slightly rougher and slippery roads.

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
24-09-2011 11:22pm
Gorjan

[quite]
Vehicle ------ Design/Appearance ------- Off road performance ------- Comfort/Cockpit
Q5 Smile Crying Very Happy
X3 Crying Smile Sad
RX350 Sad Crying Very Happy
Evoque Bow down Bow down Confused:
[/quote]

Why did yiu give the Evoque Confused For comfort/cockpit? I think it is nicer than x3 inside and should be mory comfy...

Colima Lime TD4 Pure.
Tech Pack, Pano roof, Auto....
25-09-2011 04:03am